Ethic-wise, has AMD done anything wrong?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Espionage724, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I'm just waiting for him to start telling us about his amazing CPU cooling due to copper fan blades. :D Right TK? :D

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Hah.

Or that you shouldn't mix hardware from different manufacturers, maleficarus™ the second.

..Now I think about it, he does remind me of him a little.

3. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Indeed I did.

Does anyone have any other shady behavior to add? Only apparent thing I've seen so far unless I missed something was AMD cheating in benchmarks (would prefer some kind of source on this though), which although it isn't necessarily good to do, it's pretty minor compared to most other examples I gave, imo anyway.

4. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This is not Sollerholler even though he has made a fool of himself he has not once claimed that copper makes everything better and he only capitalizes the first letter in a sentence.

Go check Tomshardware for their 290 review and see where the retail 290x compares to the press sample he receved from AMD.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE

From 2001 - This is the most famous one
    http://techreport.com/review/3089/

From 2010
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Featu...s-and-degrading-game-quality-says-nvidia.aspx

I recall that they did something similar with Crysis to make their cards perform better than Nvidia's but I can't find a link

Not to say that Nvidia hasn't done it either. Both companies have had their share of shady business practices

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

To be fair though, those are reports from ATI, before they were together with AMD. If I understand right though, isn't this the effect of Catalyst AI being enabled, and simply turning it off gets rid of that optimization?

As for the Crysis thing, are you referring to Crysis the first game, or Crysis 2?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2013
  8. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Ha, not sure which guy is dumber though

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I live on this forum and I've missed all of this!!! Next time pm me guys with a link to such a thread, I do like a good laugh!

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    ok guys, I think we have and enough fun at the expense of someone else. Lets get back OT.

Intel has been caught with their pants down quite a few times. They aren't really popular with the EU right now.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Tomshardware isn't exactly unbiased. They were caught using launch drivers for AMD's HD7K series in at least 1 of their NVidia card reviews.

NVidia only complains, when their attempts to gain an additional advantage don't pan out. There isn't a single "cheat" that ATI/AMD has done....that NVidia hasn't done as well.

Quite honestly, if your intent is to purchase products from the company with the best ethics.....buy ARM or VIA. They're both more ethical than Intel, NVidia or AMD. All 3 of them do what they see as necessary to gain any advantage they can get.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol.....TomsHardware; that name is like a swear word on this site. :p

Their "best hardware for the money" articles often make me chuckle. Written by idiots and read by newbies. ;) imho of course.

Toms, [H], and TechSpot. None of them are reputable in my opinion....just thought I'd add that random comment to the thread. lol

Oh and OCN of course.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Okay so only link from sources that AMD users on here approve of got it ;)

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well TechSpot published a BF4 CPU benchmark article recently, however all CPU's were tested in SinglePlayer mode.

You don't see that as slightly incompetent?

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Hilbert did a CPU scaling article with BF3 back in the day as well. Just saying take everything with a grain of salt but don't blindly discredit someone else's findings if they don't align with what you think to be the truth. Especially when you may have a horse in the race so to say.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    THG hasn't been reputable for quite a few years now. Half their article headlines are over-exaggerated (or wrong). Half their articles are inaccurate at best, flat out lies at worst. They've been caught, on more than 1 occasion, copying their AMD launch review "benchmark results" into launch reviews of newer NVidia cards. Sadly enough, their forums are even worse....

I have no issue with sites that post honest, legitimate reviews....regardless of which company fairs better. I don't own stock in any tech company. I simply buy whichever of their products best suits my needs at the time (and I currently own products from all 3 of them).

Unless you own stock in a company, the benchmark results shouldn't matter...so long as they're achieved using a proven methodology and aren't intentionally skewed to reflect the stock portfolio of the reviewer.

17. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

My intent is to purchase products that I can use from companies with the best ethics; I'm sure ARM or VIA would be more ethical than those other three, but their chips don't meet my needs.

Their reasoning for it was:

http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/
    To me, that sounds pretty reasonable. Better than having a bunch of non-consistent results I'd say.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    My hardware has got nothing to do with this, I don't even own BF4. I'm not discrediting anything, and I'm certainly not blind....however I can't say the same about you sadly.

Don't you know that SP and MP CPU performance in Frostbite 2/3 are WORLDS apart? ...Their test results are valid I have no doubt, however they are absolutely irrelevant to a BF4 player.
    Hilbert did a CPU bench in BF3, yes - but that was over a year go. Did you see a SP CPU test in his BF4 review?

Techspot tells us that a dual core Athlon II 550 is perfectly capable of running BF4 at high settings. From what you've said I take it you trust and agree with their conclusion?

Who is the blind one now...?

19. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I think the point is, single player simply isn't demanding to the CPU. It was more or less much a worthless test, as pretty much any modern desktop CPU is up to the task. As long as the user has a half decent GPU it'll run fine. The area where CPU performance is important is multiplayer.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Pill dude chill you've been jumping down my throat all through this thread and I don't understand why?

You're assuming a lot about what I think. It's common knowledge that both BF3/4 MP are VERY CPU BOUND! A dual core AII 550 is however adequate to feed SP (it was the same way with BF3 my old PII 940 killed the campaign but fell flat on its face in MP). In the tech spot article there is a note about why the did not test MP and I don't think I need to explain that.

I did not say you're blind however you are coming off as hard headed and stubborn. Maybe you need to step back and read what I have posted.

BTW I do agree with you on [H] reviews they pull overclock numbers out of their asses a GK104 will not boost to 1310.