Errors with 2070 Super

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Captainskepy, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Captainskepy

Captainskepy New Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super
    Hi guys

I've been having a bit of a problem of late with some of the games I am trying to run, I'll be happily playing and all of a sudden they crash to desktop, sometimes with errors, sometimes without and sometimes my entire PC locks up and i have to reset. It also happens to crash other things too like Nvidia broadcast freezes my webcam and other times I have OBS get an encoding error and it stops running

It seems to happen more on Fifa 21 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. I don't get any issues playing Elite: Dangerous at all

I have tried a bunch of "fixes" and spoken to Nvidia live support and it doesnt seem to have fixed anything.

I have done a GPU clean install of drivers several times, Ive done a regedit "fix" by adding a registry file,

Here are some of the errors I am getting when Fifa crashes

Screenshot_25.png Screenshot_27.png Screenshot_29.png

I'm losing my mind every time it crashes, if anybody has any help that works, you would be so much better than Nvidia's own support

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It proly wont help you, but its a quick check: Fire up GPU-Z and check "Bus Interface", ie PCIe mode. Should be x16, or at least x8.

[​IMG]

I just had a WTF moment with my otherwise spectacularly uneventful PC. My 2070 Super went to PCIe x8 all by itself (OK a dog or myself might have kicked it couple of times real good). Tried repairing it by kicking it around abit :D, but then it went to PCIe x1 !!! As shown both in BIOS and in GPU-Z.
    Then I tried by moving it a bit inside its PCIe and by reseating power cables. That did the trick, x16, all good now.

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  4. Captainskepy

Captainskepy New Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super
    >> Mine is the same as your's, i might remove and reseat my card next

5. Captainskepy

Captainskepy New Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super
  6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    proly no need to, unless... mine was showing as:

PCIe x16 3.0 @ x8 3.0
    and
    PCIe x16 3.0 @ x1 3.0

^^ means: capable of x16 3.0, running at x1 3.0

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    What you didn't do, and it seems that you are at your wits end, is:

REINSTALL THE WINDOWS

8. DannyD

DannyD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    Tried lowering clock speed a little?
    Are you monitoring temps?
    I got these errors when my 2070 super died on me, different games different error but always device removed kinda message.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    while that's all OK, I really think that OS reinstall should come sooner in troubleshooting hunt. I mean you can try this and that and this and that... and still be at the beginning knowing fuk all.

OTOH if you reinstall, either the error is gone, and if you're getting the same nasty looking error like that one - you know what? - you can be 99% sure its a hardware issue. Time to find a failing component.

DannyD likes this.
  10. DannyD

DannyD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    For sure, not had a serious issue with windows for a good while all-the-same.:)
    *updates disabled.:D

11. Captainskepy

Captainskepy New Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super
    So after reseating my GPU, on a different PCI lane too, my GPU-z is saying PCIe x 16 3.0 @ x8 1.1 until i use the render test and it goes to x8 3.0

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    which BIG PCIe slot counting from the top (from CPU to the bottom) is your GPU sitting in?

[​IMG]

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  14. Captainskepy

Captainskepy New Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super
    using the numbers on the picture, it was in slot 2, but i moved it to slot 4, i should move it back i guess

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    You could try it in 4 and see if it brings anything good. It will be limited to x8, which itself is enough bandwidth.
    Enough bandwidth for a single GPU yes, but problematic with your original slot, because your original slot should be showing "PCIe x 16 3.0 @ x16 3.0" during test run, and proly "PCIe x 16 3.0 @ x16 1.1" otherwise while energy saving.

So it looks like you're having the same issue like I did. Lucky guess on my side. Doesn't mean when you fix it, if you fix it, your issue will go away. But it is a real issue to start with = SHOULD BE x16.

16. Captainskepy

Captainskepy New Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super
    I put it back and its now on x16 again. I played some COD while it was in slot 4 and i had 4 or 5 games before it crashed giving me an error again. this time it was Dev Error 5761

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    disable GameDVR

18. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Which motherboard?

19. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx2080 superXS
    You`ll get 1.1 in desktop mode, if you run the built in render test it should read x16 but it all depends what other cpu lanes are being used by other hardware, usually you`ll only use x16 if your gpu is under load....like gaming.

20. Captainskepy

Captainskepy New Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super
    Asus Prime-370A