Error sounds at desktop bootup and amd vision control center, no text...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by cupper24, Jul 11, 2011.

1. cupper24

cupper24 Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    Hey everyone,

Got my 6950 and Windows 7 all installed and ready for some gaming.

Thing is, when Windows boots to the desktop, I get an exclamation sound just before amd vision center loads, right after the welcome music plays. No error displays though. Also happens when I go into the vision control center and click video settings. Again, exclamation sound which usually denotes an error, but no text displays. Back in the XP days, I used to get a ms visual c++ runtime error upon opening video options in CCC.

Maybe a similar thing? Have not found a solution as of yet. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Searches haven't gotten me anywhere (here or google).

Thanks guys!

cupper24

2. trp11

trp11 New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5650
    Looks like you need .net framework (I'd download 2, 3.5 and 4) and microsoft c++ redistributable (2010).

Good luck!

3. cupper24

cupper24 Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    Thanks for the response trp!

Windows 7 comes pre-loaded with .NET 3.5 and below, so that probably isn't it.

Upon further investigation last night, I did a fresh uninstall/reinstall of my graphics drivers. While doing this the "critical stop" sound goes away when no ATi drivers are installed, so I have at least narrowed the culprit down to that.

I got to thinking about when the problem started occurring, because it wasn't doing it 2 days ago. I believe it started when I installed H.A.W.X, at least that's the first time I noticed it. Secondly, the game installed a version of VC++ 2005 x86. I know this shouldn't matter, but is it possible that it borked my install of VC++ 2010 x64?

I wouldn't think so, but I went ahead and deleted all instances of VC++ from my system, did another fresh install of my graphics drivers, and let AMD install the instance of VC++ that comes with the CAT drivers. But, the problem keeps persisting. I tried other things like deleting all instances of VC++ and just installing the latest for x64 and x86 (VC++ 2010 SP1), putting ALL instances of VC++ I could fid from the web and my master install disk, but the problem still happens.

Is there anyone else out there with an ATi card that has this issue? I don't think my performance is being hampered (H.A.W.X plays at max EVERYTHING smooth as butter), it is just annoying to have that sound play every boot like there's an error, but up to this point cannot find the cause, solution, or even what the potential error may be.

Please let me know if I can provide any other information as well.

Thanks again!

cupper24

4. cupper24

cupper24 Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    Problem Solved!

Hey again everyone,

I just wanted to update this post as I have resolved my issues, and it may be informative/helpful to others to know what the root cause was.

It seems as of CAT 11.5 drivers (at least this is the first set of drivers on which I experienced this issuse), the AMD Vision Control Center does not like the global stting on D3DOverrider (D3DO) to be set with Triple Buffering "On" from the current setting (i.e. turn Triple Buffering "OFF" on the Global Setting).

If enabled, it produces the critical stop sound. A critical stop sound will also be produced if you open up AMD Control Center and navigate to the Video->Video Settings panel.

I can re-produce and eliminate this problem now with absolute repeatability. I did notice that everytime this event occurs with Triple Buffering "On", there are 4 discrete Event Log entries unde the ATi ACE log. I'll re-produce and post what the actual logs say, but to date, I never noticed any strange behavior that was the result of any type of malfunction. It was a huge annoyance that every time my machine booted up I got the ole error sound, though. Now, all is right with the world... for now.

Take care guys!

cupper24

5. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    i got that sound with d3doverrider when opening a game, i thought it's a 'd3doverrider is now working' signal

6. cupper24

cupper24 Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    Different Sounds...

One is the "Critical Stop" (in my case, usually means an error like a program failed to run).

The other is either the "Asterisk" or "exclamation" sound (can't remember off the top of my head and I'm not at home to verify...) meaning D3DO has executed Triple Buffering and/or V-Sync (you'll get subsequent sounds if both are enabled) for the launched program, if applicable.

In my case, it was the Critical Stop at both Windows Startup (right after launching to the Desktop) and when I would select Video Settings under Video in the AMD Vision Control Center. Disabling Triple Buffering in the Global profile of D3DO got rid of this problem for me.

cupper24

7. knivestv

knivestv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    I just started to get this problem today after going up to the 11.11 drivers from 10.11 beta on my 6950.

It was driving me a bit mental, but now it's solved. Thanks a lot.

8. cupper24

cupper24 Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    No problem... Drove me nuts for months!