Ergonomic keyboard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Fallingwater, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Fallingwater

Fallingwater Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX560
    I touch-type a lot. Lately, however, I've been doing it more, and I'll be doing it much more now that I'm preparing to start my website.
    I've always had the "get the cheapest you can" theory for what concerns keyboards, but since I started touch typing more my hands get tired, and I've been forced to reconsider. I don't want repetitive strain injury, after all...
    I don't care about Dvorak layouts or such; I'm happy with qwerty, I just want my hands to be in the most comfortable and healthy position as I type.
    What do you suggest?
    If it isn't made by micro$oft it's better. It's not a necessary requirement, but I hate giving them any money, so if it can be avoided it's better.

2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I'd probably pick something by Logitech or Microsoft.

I'm sure they have more 'ergonomic friendly' keyboards.

3. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    I type a lot too. I've been using the same, flay keyboard since 1998. Works for me. You only get repetative stress (carpal tunnel) if you aren't typing properly. Some people hover their hands over the keyboard, which is the worst thing to do. If you are doing that, no erganomic keyboard in the world will help. The proper way is to angle them so your wrists are resting against the desk. You can try gell wrist rests for added comfort.

Now, as for keyboards, my mom is a classically trained touch typist. Therefore, she's pickey about the keyboards she uses. She's currently using a Logitec media keyboard. Logitec is one of the best brands, and I perfer their keyboards to Microsoft. However, I have yet to find a new keyboard that's as good as the old ones.

4. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    970 GTX
    I would not buy a keyboard unless I can actually put my hands on it and test it. They all have a different feel.
    What ever you have suggested to you try it before you buy it.

5. lol, if you really are going to type a lot the i do actually suggest a dvorak keyboard, i you read the stats you fingers travvle a lot less of a distance, also you will be one of very few people that will be able to type fluently on a dvorak keyboard. but gell pads are good, and make sure you have a decent sized desk, one where your hands arnt in the air because you elbow flops to low doue to a lack of desk space. Most keyboards will advertise if they are ergonomcally pleasing :D!!

6. Fallingwater

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX560
    Dvorak is probably a much more senseful layout than qwerty, but since computers using dvorak are a tiny minority, I'd have to reprogram my brain every time I had to use a friend's computer, or those at the university, or something. I do not particularly like keeping to standards, but I'm afraid that's what I'll do this time.

7. nooo, comeon, when your little you ride a bike with at least 3 wheels, which means when you grow up u learnt to ride a bike with 2 wheels (ignore unicycles), however you can still ride a bike with 3 or more wheels. So just because you become advanced at dvoraking, doesnt mean youll forget how to qwerty :D

8. RLodders

RLodders Member

I've got the Dinovo Media keyboard atm and it is a really good one, love the flat panels, thinkin about buyin the Dinovo Edge though, but that's got nothin to do with ergonomic boards.

9. jesus, tht thing cost bucket loads, looks very nice though, how much did you pick yours up for ???

10. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970

11. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080/intel4400
    I myself am using a laptop styled keyboard that feels really good and so far has not made any impact on my typing.

12. Fallingwater

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX560
    I like clicky boards too, but they are rare and cost ridiculous amounts of money. And ergonomic ones are more expensive still.
    I'm afraid it's gonna have to be a rubber dome 'board...

13. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    You can get them for cheap on EBay.
    A old dirty (but perfectly working one) will be cheap, and the only thing you need to do is a good cleanup. ;)

14. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800GTO 256MB @6
    Get a Logitech UltraX.
    The best I've used so far :)
    They keys are laptop like, very thin, so you can actually type much faster, because of the reduced keypress distance ;)
    They are also not very expencive ~20 Euro...

Many people I know were very skeptical, when I said a keyboard has a lot of influence on your typing speed, but after trying the UltraX all of them change their minds ;)

15. Reality|Bites

Reality|Bites Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI Asus/eVGA 8800Ultra/B