Episodic gaming?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Shadowsoldier, May 14, 2006.

1. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
    What is your opinion on this? A new episode every 3 - 6 months.

I think its cool...... I mean it might add up...but cumon, every 3 to 6 months you just pay 20 dollars for 5 to 6 hours of gameplay... I love that deal.

I beat Sin Emergence yesterday and I got to tell you it was great. Although some people on the Steam forum were complaining about difficulty...babies......I thought it was not too hard and not too easy.

What do you guys think about episodic gaming?

2. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    i like the idea. i can justify spending $20 more easily than justifying $50, even if the content is less.

3. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 470
    If Sin Episodes is an indication then it sucks.

The game just feels like a HL2 mod (and I don't mean that in a good way). It's linear, graphics are crap, gameplay and weapons are lame, average AI with enemies that can see you through walls, and it is only 4 hours short. Not to mention that there is no real story, just mission after mission. This game didn't wow me even one time. Not worth $20 IMO.

I'd rather they invest more time in cranking out full quality games.

Oh, and the source engine looks like 90's graphics. Flat textures, no bump mapping, no dynamic lighting and shadows, etc. Valve needs to do away with it.

4. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
    90s graphics? thats funny

5. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    90ish is going a bit far, but you've gotta admit, everything looks really flat in source.

Anyways, I think episodic gaming is just a new way to get gamers to pay much more for less.

6. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    LOL i wont say word about source engine... but Episode Gameing is good of my oppinion :D its way to make good and long game plus dont go down with budget! Developers will make longer games and have money to make it true!!!

ok i say somthing about Source engine... Its good and realistic! -_-

7. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    i do think source still looks good. i admit it looks a bit flat, but pretty much all engines do. you were overreacting nowhereman.

8. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 470
    Not overreacting. This game would have been cool maybe 4-5 years ago. Now it's just generic shooter number 42852.

9. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    i dont mean you overreacted about the game itself, i havent played it, so dont know how it plays, but i think you overreacted saying source engine is crap.

10. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti FE
    The source engine itself is very good. HL2 with everything maxed out does look very good in a realistic sense. (I personally feel bump mapping is overused in a lot of games *cough* Doom 3 *cough*).

However going by what HL : Black Mesa (I think thats what its called, its the remake of the original story with the source engine) looks like it is still pumping out excellent graphics.

11. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    is HL: black mesa already out? i lost track of it a couple of months ago.

12. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Neh, they're taking their time. I'm still waiting too.

13. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti FE

I know HL: source is, but I havn't got HL2 installed at the moment and I havn't bothered to check.

14. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    i think its a good idea , but i think there are better engines than the source engine , not that it aint a good engine

F.E.A.R 's engine is mint that could be used alot more

unreal 3 engine is going to used alot

15. Advis

Advis Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb
    It's a good idea, but not in the way that they are doing it. I have it sussed but it's a Business idea so I'm not telling any of you :p.

16. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 470
    Source is a good engine at its core and a very nice tool for developers and modders. But at this point, it is beyond its life span. And after games like Far Cry, COD2, Chaos Theory, Doom 3, FEAR, BF2, Oblivion and Riddick, it is just not that impressive graphically.

Although the Source graphics are usually high-res, they are also very flat and plain. So are the character models, they look too cartoony. With the Unreal 3 engine right around the corner we are entering a new era of graphics and Valve needs to get their act together. The little HDR that they've added to Source is just not that impressive.

Anyways... back on topic. I am still not convinced about episodic games. If there is no strong story to spike my interest and characters which I care about (which there was none in Sin) then I don't see why I would be compelled to buy the next episode.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    no it's not funny, it's true... Source is outdated, has been outdated for a long while now... Not surprising, when u consider, that a ati 9600xt can run it maxed... Hell, even my ex 5200 64bit ran it well...

Hope there's not many new games built around this engine, because that would be really a big step back for any game...

18. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I think episodic gaming is an ok idea, as long as its not EA.
    and css is looking pretty dam dated now.

19. Clements

Clements Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 670
  20. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    HaHa NowhereMan after FarCry HL2 is standing right on both foots and after CoD2 DOD:S take place =) (i never liked CoD2 in eny way =P)

but yes we are entering new era of graphycs! but not in new era of Hardware!!! so i dont know what is worsth play 5 years old game or play new with hi-tec graphycs and hi-tec graphycs card with crappy CPU!!