Epic Launches Digital Games Store With 88 Percent Revenue Going to Developers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Dec 7, 2018.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Im sure Epic's store will have a proper refund feature as well.
    Remember Valve was forced by EU , because they only want to apply their own rules. Otherwise there wouldnt be such a feature at all.
    Sure they geo-block , but will not apply law determined by the users country. like when EU had to step in again for lootboxes in belgium and Netherlands.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Of course they can now but not 10 years ago. But Valve also has the Steam market that makes them a ton of money.

3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Valve has been making a lot of money on the back of game developper for too long

4. Yeah I might miss those but at least I'll have the studio forums to frequent for other reasons & known-good news publishers for reviews. If the feedback is strong enough they will likely end up adding one but they likely want to have certain things different or unique to themselves for now to avoid looking a steam-clone. (kinda bein sarcastic but hey-hoo)

5. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW U
    Its about time this happened.

I personally have been fed up with steam for the following reasons
    1. the client is old and clunky (sure, they are now optimising but still took them long enough).
    2. It contains game breaking bugs due to the overlay (many times I read posters blame hardware or drivers then months later in steam patch notes will mention fixes for those bugs), this must piss of game developers to no end.
    3. The BS review system, many good games get review bombed because of silly problems, gamers blame the game when half the time its related to their hardware/software.
    4. Last one is many good games don't get decent exposure and sink fast in the sea of shite they have on there. The company is too lazy to fix it as all they care about is money, just look at half the crap Jim Stirling has played over the years.

Getting to Valve, just very lazy, release stuff and let the community get on with it. They appear very arrogant, thinking they were that big that steam machines would be able to do something and what a fail that was (all the while making up crap about windows 10 garden wall when there doing the same with steam machines. Microtransaction driven in their F2P games while sitting on L4D and Half Life IP's. Why not support both ???

They done well to make PC gaming relevant again but over the years they just got so lazy with the things that made them who they are. Hopefully the uprising of rival store fronts will make them raise their game a bit but I doubt it - probably release a half baked gimmick ridden Half Life or L4D on rails shooter VR only games.

6. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I like Steam for the reasons many hate it:

1) client is optimized now but still has bugs due to all the new games it has to support and pipe into. I am sure Origin, Ubishat and Blizzard don't have patches to their clients let alone MS to patch Windows. /sarcasm off

2) many steam features can be turned off. I use it just to install, patch and launch the games. I chat with my friends off my mobile during gaming privately with secured and encrypted messaging.

3) Review bomb for the win. If a corporatist tried to royally f'ck the community, they will get their comeuppance. Look at the GTA mod fiasco to see democracy at work, unlike most nations.

Don't forget when you pay money, you should expect the proper service, not bend over and say thank you sir, would you like another?

I have to agree the review system needs work but I subscribe to a curator on Steam. It is fairly accurate and it is just as easy for a PC Gamer to setup their own curated selection as well but to show nonbias, I am sure the reviewer will go under a different handle.

It has bugs and problems, but it is not like anybody else made a better alternative. GOG comes to mind for their own selection and there are always indy sites for cheaper and indy content like itch.io or indydb.com

I personally am concerned about Epic because their business management has issues, not counting Tim Sweeney on the tech side... The amount of BS I've personally heard from them is mind boggling but maybe its under new leadership so will see...

lucidus likes this.
  7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah I couldn't care less about the review bombing. Noticed the helpfulness section that appears before reviews? You can exclude review bombing because they're always appearing en masse in a day or two. It usually is in response to bs anyway. Good games get some memey reviews in the top rated ones and I take it as a good sign and bad games also get memey reviews for obvious reasons. I don't care if some developers have trouble getting exposure for their shitty pixel art rogue like or rogue lite or platformer or whatever is the flavour of the month game.

Refunds have saved the day many times for me. I don't come under EU or any other jurisdiction requiring refunds so I am happy. EA and MS are the only other ones who do right in this case afaik. The recent Bethesda circus on the other hand denied people just for downloading the game lol.

I remember steam being called a steaming pile of sh!t back in the hl2 days but it has come a long way since and actually gives me value with things like steam play, their linux push, and big picture mode (which I use very often). Controller support is also a huge plus. If these greedy pubs want to take all that away from me, I know where to go to get their games and it doesn't involve any place they want me to go :p

Funny thing about Uplay though - I played AC:BF and had it as a shortcut in steam for my convenience (and the switch to big picture helped fix its vsync issues) and uplay would be annoying by staying in focus and all that but Origins bought through steam? I didn't even know it existed except for the splash screen at the start. Pretty good showing for something that's made so much fun of.

In epic's case I will say it again - too much Chinese influence. Closed source Chinese software is not welcome in my PC.

Valken likes this.
  8. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Most people here anyway will never make the fortune of Gabe in current decades, so...

Long live the gaming King.

And I love steam reviews. I don't deserve to lose money. I just read them with a grain of salt plus my own ability to criticize whenever to agree or not with them.

Especially, all the negative ones sometimes can help protect me from a wrong decision pick up and then also I can refund.

I use gog galaxy, uplay launcher, origin and steam. I don't need another one. Thanks. Keep the bloatware away.

Valken likes this.
  9. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    I think the final goal is to make great games, and Epic store will help do just that.
    35% royalties to 12% translates into hiring several new people to work on the game.

10. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eh, In reality it will just increase profit margins. I highly doubt corporation X sees a change, actually more like a small brand new side-store to the main platforms, and suddenly goes "time to hire more people". Even if steam were to switch to 10% cut, I still don't think that happens. Do you think bethesda launched their own launcher and suddenly went, oh hey 100%, now lets hire 33% more people for our studios. Doesnt work like that in reality

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    I'm talking about the vast majority of Indie studios currently struggling, not the couple 400+ employees studio like Bethesda of course.

12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
  13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    The sound of this youtuber is always irritating me so much, he's overusing compressors to make his voice sounds deeper it's really terrible :confused:

14. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Yeah I never liked Yong Yea... nothing against him personally, but I just feel like all he's doing is reading articles in video format without being very engaging or interesting. His channel blew up out of no where and I see his videos everywhere. There is almost zero new information found in his videos, although I guess I see the appeal for people who don't look at websites at all and just want a quick rundown.

15. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    if you check this video you hear his actual voice pitch which is much higher, his voice modification for all his content sounds terribly electronic to me it's trully irritating

Kolt likes this.

16. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    lol funny stuff, yea alot of these net commentators, they mostly read articles and forum stuff, it is the thing to do, toss in some opinion and commentary that is 98% of creating content for youtube.

total biscuit is dead, sterling is a far left cuck, yong far as i can tell is a moderate that can evolve his opinions on occasion. So between pretty good gaming, its a gundam, and a few other odds and ends that is where i frequent to peek in on game news.

And yea who has time to goto websites that are in the tank for publishers, read reedit, neogaf, twitter and etc etc, vs watch a 10 to 20 minute a video or few each day? It is how more and more people get their news in general, hell it is what the media does they just read a script on camera. As lest most tubers are off the cuff and more genuine, less corporate.

that is why people like yong and youtube in general has blown up in the last 3 4 years.

Kolt and lucidus like this.
  17. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Sterling is an odd one, but I still watch him because he is at the very least on the "good fight" against the corporate modernization of our games. At least his videos are crafty and entertaining and he has personality. I don't always have to agree with the person I watch, as long as I feel like there are some good points being brought out. A good example is the Worth a Buy reviewer. He has a LOT of opinions... sometimes way off center from what I feel, but he at least states his mind and reasoning and I genuinely feel like I am getting a real review from a real person.

cerebus23 likes this.
  18. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yea i watch sterling on occasion also his consumer stuff is solid and funny, f konami was brilliant.

But i used to frequent another site sterling came on board on on and sterlings entrance haroled the death of that site, he full stop backs anna snarksleezians bullshit, and i know he is big in the LGBT and trans stuff, but he does not really inject that stuff into his videos other than as humor.

I got no issue with sterling in general but that anna stuff really pisses me off with the guy.

19. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Weird that two people put refunds as a bonus to using Steam, firstly from a sellers point of view, which this store front is clearly being designed to attract by plastering Epics much smaller take of the money front and centre, refunds are not a good thing. Second the only reason Steam offers refunds is because they were all but legally forced to offer a refund policy. They were one of the last to offer a refund policy of any sort and apparently fought to the last to not have to offer one. If they could get away with it safe to say they would remove it tomorrow, long story short good chance that this new store front will also have to legally offer a refund policy of some sort at least if it wants to sell on any kind of international level.

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    It could also be the microphone he is using.

XenthorX, lucidus and cerebus23 like this.