Epic Launches Digital Games Store With 88 Percent Revenue Going to Developers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Dec 7, 2018.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    For the past five years, we've been building tools enabling Epic to bring our games directly to players. We built the Epic Games launcher on PC and Mac featuring Fortnite and Unreal Engine; we built a worldwide digital commerce ecosystem supporting dozens of payment methods; and we gained great economies of scale thanks to Fortnite's growth.

As developers ourselves, we wanted two things: a store with fair economics, and a direct relationship with players. And we've heard that many of you want this too!

Soon we'll launch the Epic Games store, and begin a long journey to advance the cause of all developers. The store will launch with a hand-curated set of games on PC and Mac, then it will open up more broadly to other games and to Android and other open platforms throughout 2019.

The Epic Games store will operate on the following principles:

All Developers Earn 88%

Developers receive 88% of revenue. There are no tiers or thresholds. Epic takes 12%. And if you’re using Unreal Engine, Epic will cover the 5% engine royalty for sales on the Epic Games store, out of Epic’s 12%.

[​IMG]
    Have a Direct Relationship With Players

People who buy your games automatically subscribe to your newsfeed so you can reach them with game updates and news about upcoming releases. The newsfeed is front-and-center. You’ll also be able to reach your players through email, if they choose to share it.

Connect with Creators

YouTube content creators, Twitch streamers, bloggers, and others are at the leading edge of game discovery. The 10,000-strong Epic Games Support-A-Creator program helps you reach creators, so they can help you reach players. If you opt to participate, creators who refer players to buy your game will receive a share of the revenue that you set (tracked by code or affiliate marketing link). To jumpstart the creator economy, Epic will cover the first 5% of creator revenue-sharing for the first 24 months.

Developers Control Their Game Pages

As a developer, you control your game page and your newsfeed. There will be no store-placed ads or cross-marketing of competing games on your page, and no paid ads in search results.

All Engines Are Welcome

The Epic Games store is open to games built with any engine, and the first releases span Unreal, Unity and internal engines.

When You Succeed, We Succeed

We’ve built this store and its economic model so that Epic’s interests are aligned with your interests. Because of the high volume of Fortnite transactions, we can process store payments, serve bandwidth, and support customers very efficiently. From Epic’s 12% store fee, we’ll have a profitable business we’ll grow and reinvest in for years to come!

More details on upcoming game releases will be revealed at The Game Awards this Thursday, December 6th.

unrealengine.com

Very good, i hope developers switch to this store.

2. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Well, competition is welcome, but I hope that this client/store will be functional.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    They have UE4 licensing to help with the costs like bandwidth. If this store takes off and becomes anywhere near the size of Steam I guarantee this revenue model won't stay the same. Bandwidith isn't cheap for the amount of data moved with Steam.

cerebus23 likes this.
  4. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 16GB RX6800
    Hopefully some decent competition for Steam and better for developers as well. Wondering if Hell Let Loose will switch over......

5. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I heard that forums and reviews won't be featured (to supposedly prevent review bombing), which kind of makes it a dud IMO. Hopefully they'll reconsider in the near future.

6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    This could be great for developers, with how game prices have basically stagnated. In the long run, we'll hopefully see less small to mid-tier studios being forced to shut down.

7. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    User reviews are almost worthless anyway for that exact reason.
    Then you also have bot reviews. Won't be missed.

I'd rather go by reviewers I trust and word of mouth.

cerebus23 and ShadowDuke like this.
  8. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    The have money (hello Fortnite) to be a competition to Steam, so good luck Epic!

9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    eh another platform to keep track of ;p.

and not like them taking less is going to translate into cheaper prices for consumers, it will just allow publishers to make more profit. will those profits be put into making better games or fattening the bottom line at earnings reports?

the most this might do is force steam to say ok we will cut ours to 26% we still have the pc sales market, we still have the most robust tools and features for customers to find games and research games, so not like you get nothing for being on steam but your profits pinched 30%. But unless this blows up and starts pulling games away from steam i doubt it is going to do much.

10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    This is an incredible news. 1/3 of top10 played game on steam right now were made with Unreal Engine, and if you used their store it covers the licensing fees of the Engine. I'm so happy !

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    no refunds = Steam still wins

SpajdrEX likes this.
  12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    PUBG is paying 35% royalties now, imagin the difference with 12% ?!
    We're talking millions dollars here, it's insane.

13. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    If one user doesn't choose 3rd part key sellers for cheap, STEAM always will be the king because of the refund system. Everyone deserves a second chance. I don't really care about devs and retailers but gamers themselves.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Can a developer release games on both this Tencent store and Steam?

15. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    A strong refund system is needed imo.. especially with the state of "AAA" games lately. Personally I'm not a big fan of Tencent or the lack of forums/reviews either. I like to sift around the reviews and forums to read what people are saying about the game as well as check for certain bug-fixes that may not be on PCgamingwiki/etc. Other than that.. yeah having another launcher sucks, but I am really OK with competition and keeping Steam on it's toes. It just has to be done right.. throw in what I mentioned above (and maybe not be owned partially by Tencent lol) and then I'll start throwing my money at it.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ashen's already cracked. Apparently they don't bother to supply even the most basic of DRM (byoDRM?) but correct me if I'm wrong there. I've stated that they're only interested in f2p hyper monetized garbage so DRM is irrelevant to them. I'm not surprised the cut is so low if they're being so bare bones. At least Gog is DRM free by design and galaxy is optional so I love them for it. Steam or Gog or frack off from me. I still have some love for Blizzard due to their legacy so they're welcome to earn my dollars back :p

Too many people misunderstand competition though. Competition is being able to buy Witcher 3 on Gog or Steam or even Mad Max on Steam or Origin (this version doesn't have denuvo btw). Another form of competition is BF v/s Cod v/s CS but clients are side effect of that form of competition. Too many people think a new client with exclusivity contracts (Tencent/Fortnite money) is competition. Even Lenovo and discord recently announced pc game stores. Do you want me to sign up there too? lol.

At least Valve is smart enough to know the only client that is its real competition is the torrent client and the only launcher to threaten it is explorer.exe itself.

fully agree with competition has to be done right.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    ShadowDuke likes this.
  17. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Nowhere have i read that Epic store is exclusive? You could perfectly have pubg available on both store, with even a price cut on epic store.

With Valve not even making games anymore, and widespread use of Unreal Engine from video game to movie industry. Epic Games is much more inline with what the medium has to offer, and to its developper base.

Steam does not deserve 30% of the hard work i'm putting into making a game. Also Epic store is gonna be curated so it's not about infinite amount of garbage like on Steam.

18. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That's fine. Steam needs competition because valve are horrible. not sure if epic's any better tho, just going for that buzz value marketing doesn't say much. As a consumer I care more about how they treat me, not how they choose to handle their deals with companies from within their own industry (and neither should you). Also epic appear to be in breach of GDPR law. Saviors alright, just not when it comes your own personal data.

19. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    I think you overestimate the costs. Valve could halve its percentage and still build a money bridge to the moon every month.

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They're basing their decisions on the same reasoning EA had. If the cut was a problem to them, they could've all banded together and forced Valve's hand a long time ago. Back then it was DLC and today it is microtransactions and paid mods. After seeing their $18 blue paint for the power armour in FO76 ... all I can say is good riddance. Just a couple of days ago they updated skyrim special edition for the sake of CC and apparently it broke skse again.They don't care about their players. They only want payers.

Epic bothers me more because they screwed around in Android as well. I'm glad idgaf about f2p trash so Tencent can piss off.