Epic Games to show off Unreal Engine 5 engine today

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 26, 2021.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    The real number appears to be 35.9GB for some UE5 early access files + 99.8GB for the game/demo's UE5 files & launcher files + 99.1GB for when it's made into a project. 234.8GB total but more in terms of disk space taken because small files gonna smol.

But I have no clue what I'm doing I never researched into this before so maybe that "project" made for it was unnecessary, I dunno I'm too tired to use brain cells right now.

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    My apps, I chose yellow on black, but I do forget sometimes that most do not use the 'style' option on the bottom left of this screen.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Airbud likes this.
  4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    [​IMG]

All in engine, no external programs, total setup...45 seconds?

Undying, KissSh0t, Noisiv and 2 others like this.

5. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Free Quixel assets and new grid-based streaming system. What a nice surprise. Now I only hope that these grids are not internally represented as their original streaming parts :)

6. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
  7. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    I have been following the master branch of UE5 since yesterday this is extremely active which is rather weird as we're supposed to get a 4.27 release later in 2021.
    UE5 is going full steam ahead, i assume there's pressure from the renewed console market to leverage the new hardware asap.
    4.27 might end up being just a bunch of stability improvements for UE4 moving forward.

Also for anyone diving into the code, there's of course a ton of changes but it's clearly building on the foundation of Unreal Engine 4, it's gonna be easy to transition from ue4 to ue5.
    It might be more and more complex the closer we get to UE5 actual release, but sharing the code at this point in time allow teams to smooth out the transition anyway.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    kapu, Embra, Undying and 1 other person like this.
  8. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    While some aspects of this are impressive. It still seems to inherit some bad visual issues from UE4. And the fact that the PS5 demo only ran at 1440p30 does not leave high hopes for performance.

I'm not at all excited for anything that leans too much on RT. Hardware is not powerful enough to power RT based rendering without immersion breaking visual discontinuities at resolutions like 4k. Stuff like DLSS clearly is not equipped to improve that either. And at lower resolutions looks terrible based on the UE4 RTX demo that was just released.

It's like every generation Unreal Engine finds a new way to add more and more undersampling, visual artifacts and distracting discontinuities into the rendering used in their engine.

They certainly have not improved the TAA as clearly evidenced by all the same old problems UE4 TAA had.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    I must disagree, sorry.

On a positive note, this engine is not going to be released until 'early 2022' so I fully expect (and based off the downloads and feedback) this engine will be a very very very positive performer, and will most definitely reduce game size, and dev time needed for games.

As for PS5 - most have conceded that the launch models were not a significant enough departure from the PS4Pr0 to make a change to the PS5, and so, are waiting for the 'PS5 Pro' when it launches in 2023.

As for sampling...nah, Epic have got their scaling working very well for up and down sampling

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  10. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT16 GB
    I got this error when opening the ValleyoftheAcientsproject:

LoginId:
    EpicAccountId:
    Fatal error: [File:D:/build/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/D3D12RHI/Private/D3D12Util.cpp] [Line: 648] SwapChain1->ResizeBuffers(NumBackBuffers, SizeX, SizeY, GetRenderTargetFormat(PixelFormat), SwapChainFlags) failed at D:/build/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/D3D12RHI/Private/Windows/WindowsD3D12Viewport.cpp:376 with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED with Reason: 887A002B Num=3, Size=(792,108), PF=18, DXGIFormat=0x18, Flags=0x802
    UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
    UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
    UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
    UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
    UnrealEditor_SlateRHIRenderer
    UnrealEditor_SlateRHIRenderer
    UnrealEditor_Slate
    UnrealEditor_Slate
    UnrealEditor_Slate
    UnrealEditor_Slate
    UnrealEditor
    UnrealEditor
    UnrealEditor
    UnrealEditor
    UnrealEditor
    kernel32
    ntdll

I also can't run the medium dx12 with this error, I think they some way related (my 5K MST screen?)
    LoginId:
    EpicAccountId:
    Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffff
    amdxc64
    amdxc64
    amdxc64
    amdxc64
    amdxc64
    D3D12Core
    Medium_Win64_Shipping!DispatchRays() [e:\ue4src\425nvex\engine\source\runtime\d3d12rhi\private\d3d12raytracing.cpp:3786]
    Medium_Win64_Shipping!FD3D12CommandContext::RHIRayTraceDispatch() [e:\ue4src\425nvex\engine\source\runtime\d3d12rhi\private\d3d12raytracing.cpp:3901]
    Medium_Win64_Shipping!FRHICommandRayTraceDispatch::Execute() [e:\ue4src\425nvex\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\rhicommandlistcommandexecutes.inl:595]
    Medium_Win64_Shipping!FRHICommandListExecutor::ExecuteInner_DoExecute() [e:\ue4src\425nvex\engine\source\runtime\rhi\private\rhicommandlist.cpp:331]
    Medium_Win64_Shipping!TGraphTask<FExecuteRHIThreadTask>::ExecuteTask() [e:\ue4src\425nvex\engine\source\runtime\core\public\async\taskgraphinterfaces.h:849]
    Medium_Win64_Shipping!FNamedTaskThread::processTasksNamedThread() [e:\ue4src\425nvex\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async\taskgraph.cpp:693]
    Medium_Win64_Shipping!FNamedTaskThread::processTasksUntilQuit() [e:\ue4src\425nvex\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async\taskgraph.cpp:587]
    Medium_Win64_Shipping!FRHIThread::Run() [e:\ue4src\425nvex\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:290]
    Medium_Win64_Shipping!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [e:\ue4src\425nvex\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:86]

AMD R6900XT, W10 21376co release, driver 21.5.2

Anyone with a R6xxx can run these?

11. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT16 GB
    UE5 error resolved, it was msi afterbuner.

12. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Timestamps don't seem to work at Guru3d, but at frame time 5:50 it provides examples/explanation of problem with foliage.

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It would be nice if they supported hardware accelerated ray tracing for their lighting method, even if it's screen space. It would benefit cards from all makers, and the consoles.

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    6900xt outperforms 3090 with less stuttering even at 4k. This generation of UE looks to be amd optimized. :p

Btw that system ram usage, 32gb is needed.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB

16. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Got my planets working in UE5

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    ~Give it another...5 days, and you will have completed more than Chris Roberts has in over a decade...

Makes you think, does it not; I am actually waiting for him to make yet another Engine change to UE5, just so he can get more money for the next ten years...

XenthorX likes this.