Epic Games: Consoles Taking Gamers Away From PC

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ElDiablo2K3, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Newfgamer

Newfgamer Active Member

WHA? You have a stark lack of understanding of the Pc market, it is a enthusiast market. A game that only runs on the best hardware, is targeted at the high end Pc market, selling 1 million in 2 months is outstanding, as more people upgrade, that number will increase. Pc games never sell as fast, but they sell more slowly over time. It is not a mainstream market, never was. It is a healthy market if a game is done right.

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    that's why there are 15k plus in servers for PC, as well as mod tools for new maps as well as countless clans and communities. Show me the equivalent of that on console? Sales only counts for so much.. and this is probably the 10th or 11th set of numbers claiming how many sales the PC and Xbox versions have sold. At this point I'm positive nobody really knows for sure since every figure tends to be different.

And honestly, Eclap plays more racing and sports games, so naturally a console is more up his alley. Me, I play fps 90% of the time, with RTS and RPG taking up the rest.. naturally a PC will be my choice of platform.

Or course consoles will sell more.. doesn't make the PC any less lucrative than it has been in the past.. guess I'm not so naive to believe everything that I read just because its on a website :p

3. GAR818

GAR818 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    They will make more money selling PC games than consoles if sold the same amount, no royalties to pay to microsoft or sony.

4. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Rofl, all this Crysis hype has made you think that PC gamers only buy high end stuff. Just check steam survey, it provides quite an accurate insight into people's specs.

5. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    i like toast.....

6. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    at what toaster setting? i prefer #3. its good to like things :)

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Are you blind? PC has sold 1million and counting copies of COD4? Xbox 360 sold 3 milion copies in 2 months! And it sold 3.3 million copies of Halo 3 in a single month, both these stats are from US retailers only!!! That's a lot more than any PC game ever sells atm. Yes, that's including Crysis. Be honest with yourself, if you were a game developer, would you prefer making games for the PC (where anyone can download a pirated version even before the release date) or the consoles, where you can sell the game for more and you're guaranteed to sell more copies? In a way, making games for the PC is suicide. Crysis sold a million copies? Lol, there's numerous games every month that sell more on the 360. That's why the devs concentrate on the consoles. I don't mind if you have a different opinion, but please facts would be helpful.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    All I need to show you is that COD 4 made a lot more money on the 360 so I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to only make games for the consoles with crappy ports for the PC to follow. And don't make me laugh, I play all sort of games. RTS (remember Dune2, Populous, Powermonger, Megalomania...) RPG (Dungeon Master 1,2, Ultima Underworld, Stonekeep, Black Crypt, Eye of the Beholder series, Lands of lore) Adventure (Legends of Kyrandia, Loom, Monkey Island, Indy, Gabriel Knight etc) That's just a quick list of classic games from the genres I like. I played them all, I didn't eat for a couple of weeks because I was playin Black crypt on my Amiga 600. Same goes for Might and Magic VI, I spent a whole summer playing that game, loved it, finished it a few times and that was a proper big RPG!!! It was 100x better than any Witcher or Oblivion will ever be! I still play it nowadays. You know, I like all sorts of games, but to be honest, games are not as good as they should be nowadays. They lack atmosphere (apart from a few titles). Like Oblivion, sorry but WTF was that? A plastic overblown overhyped piece of crap that played like a crippled granny, sorry, not my type of game. Daggerfall was a lot better and you won't disagree if you played it. Don't act like you know me, because you don't...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    They don't make games to make anyone happy. They make them to make money. It's business like any other. They don't give a flying fek about platforms as long as they make profit. Why would they? It's all about money!

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Sooo let me see if I get you here.

They release games to make money. If a player doesn't think a game will make them happy and justify the price they're spending, will they buy the game? Chances are no they won't. Where is the money then??? Sorry, but they DO need to make people happy, otherwise in the long run they WILL go under. This is a pretty basic concept in business. Make your customers happy, and you will succeed, don't and you're doomed. Period.

and this is exactly why they will lose customers like myself. Sure they do it to make money.. my point was that us PC users are the reason that Epic is where they are right now, and to forget that is a complete slap in the face to 80% of their market. Maybe not nowadays, but... lets not forget that Unreal up until this point was PC only. Its not this way anymore, and because of the shenanagans they pulled with U3, you can see why there are so few servers with people playing, and why its failed on PC. Not becuase of piracy or any of that junk like they're trying to make people beleive.

don't get me wrong.. its definitely important to stick with the times and I'm not opposed to them making games for console or even dedicating more time on them than on PC.. what does bother me is that they have estranged their longest time customers and fans for the sake off extra dollars.. that to me is just shoddy, and they have lost a lot of my respect.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yes it is a slap, but why should they care? When Peter Bondra became a Washington Capitals legend with most goals and various other records, they still traded him to Ottawa. Who cared there? It's business and they will continue to do whatever it is to make money. They don't care.

Unreal games appeared on the xbox in the past: Unreal II (Xbox) and Unreal Championship (Xbox again). Thought you would know this.

12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ obviously.. but the amount of interest or sales of those games compared to PC is not even worth discussing. There is no argument that the unreal franchise was built around the PC. There are about as many people still playing ut99 on the pc as there are ut3.. there is something very wrong there.

And whether or not they care is besides the point.. they will notice the decline in sales, so really they will get what they give.

Comparing it to hockey is a bit of a stretch btw..

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The thing is no, they won't see a decline in sales. Look at how many copies GOW sold on the 360! More than all the UT games put together on the PC. Yes, UT might not sell great on the 360 and I would never buy it for a console. I have it installed on my PC and I like it. I would miss it if they only made it for consoles, but it's their decision. If they chose so, sod them. But the fact is that if they make a good game for consoles, they're into big bucks compared to anything they'll ever make for the PC. That's their point.

14. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    Assasins creed i've heard is to require a monster rig.

If you gonna buy a console get a ps3, much more going on, much more to do, free blu-ray, gt5 on the way.

I think 360 will go the way of the dreamcast sooner or later.

15. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    I play racing/sports games and I'm a pure PC gamer, only console we have in this house is a PSOne and its never used, since the original Playstation I haven't gone back to consoles/gamepads and never will really, I'm far too comfortable on PC using the keyboard/mouse to even consider switching. :)

16. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    maybe you not understand, perhaps my poor English:

I repeat that consoles always sold more than a PC,always, but if a developer concentrates on consoles versions only makes it lose money from PC market and stay behind in the development of software, this is a fact.

If i am game developer i Make games for consoles, and PC too becouse is not a suicide get money and make games for PC push development.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'd save the effort of making a PC game if I was a dev and instead put that time into another console game which would make me a lot more money. I like PC games, I'm a PC gamer mostly really, but I do understand why devs are looking at consoles differently now than ever before. It's way too easy to pirate games nowadays. Anyone has access to full games from torrents, this is what's killing PC gaming, it was a little bit more difficult to get pirated games before but now it's right in front of us and it's way too easy, that's why PC games don't sell enough.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    It doesn't matter what I compare it to. It's how business works and you can draw examples from any field really.

19. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
  20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    tisk,tisk, still looking at numbers. the other fact is and the only one that counts and should mean anything to us is that they still keep making PC games and lots of them. actually on a monthly basis there are more pc games released than there are for any console, but thats of course including all the budget titles like the bejewled type games. the majority of titles end up being released on all platforms anyway.
    the end comes when consoles do everything that computers can do, and it should be obvious that time will come, consoles are already very near, ps3 already gives users an option to install Linux.