1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entertainment System - Speakers

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by StrikeQ, Jul 9, 2008.

1. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Waterforce 2139/5500
    So I just ordered a 50" Plasma TV and a PS3 (MGS4 + Blu Ray Player). I'm not an audiophile in the least.

But what are some recommended speakers for the set up?

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 380 4gb
    Budget?

3. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Master Guru

GPU:
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  4. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750

5. Capt Proton

Capt Proton Member Guru

GPU:
    2 X GTX 570
    z-5500s are what I am using. Great surround sound. Half the price of comparable "Home Theatre" speakers.

6. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
  7. Tinuva

Tinuva Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForceā„¢ 8800 GTS Fat
    I agree with Spezzy. Although I do not have a nice TV yet I did get myself these Sony speakers with the Receiver and using it on my PC in the mean time and the sound is amazing. Then again I never owned the lg z5500. Personally I wanted 3-way speakers on my main front left/right speakers which was my reason. It just sounds so much better with music when the speakers use specialized speakers in themselves for different frequencies. Its kinda like exactly having the sub for the very low frequences and tweaters for the very high frequencies.

8. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm very uneducated when it comes to sound and speakers. But I do plan on getting a quality set (with advice and research and what not) to get the most out of the TV/Blu-Ray/PS3

9. Capt Proton

Capt Proton Member Guru

GPU:
    2 X GTX 570
    I trust the word "Crap"s intended to go with the words "box setup", and not with the Z-5500s. If not, then please state that it is "in your opinion" or something similar. Anyone who has actually used the Z-5500s will probably tell you they are far from crap. I grant that they are not "audiophile" type speakers, and there is also merit in speakers that have different speakers for different frequencies. But, as I said, they are as good, in my opinion, as most speakers that cost twice as much.
    I have actually used the Z-5500s in a small Theatre on the Base where I work. In conjunction with a 106" screen, and an Optoma HD65 projector, there is one hedoublehockeysticks of a set up.
    I just don't understand people that have to trash talk just because someone expressed their opinion.

10. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Master Guru

GPU:
    Any recommendations on 5.1 vs 7.1?

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Just go with 5.1, You will see about 98% of the people around here or in other forums use 5.1. As 7.1 is uneeded and really not used properly yet anyway. Most media out is 5.1 encoded so you will just be upmixing to 7.1 anyway. Not to mention it is very hard to position a 5.1 system around a PC desk never mind a extra set of sats. Just go with 5.1, of course it is your choose though.

12. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Master Guru

GPU:
    Alright, I'll be looking at 5.1 for now thanks.

Though it won't be set up around a PC, it'll be set up around a TV (still undecided on which room yet, whether my bedroom or the living room).

Not sure about the whole hooking it up to the computer and such either (good/bad idea, technicalities of hooking it up w/ the TV etc etc)

13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The point being, 5.1 is enough speakers and most material out there is 5.1. 7.1 for PC and home theatre is just a uneeded hassle. As I said it is you choice.

14. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Master Guru

GPU:
    Looking on newegg, they only have 8 5.1 systems (Some are the same, just different color) under Home Audio. What type of differences would there be from a 5.1 Home Audio system and a 5.1 PC System? Just the connections? Nothing?

Any you'd like to recommend? Or a Brand?

15. Capt Proton

Capt Proton Member Guru

GPU:
    2 X GTX 570
    Best thing for you know is to pick something in your price range and google it. read reviews. I also like to enter the product name and the word "forum". That often brings me to discussion threads on the product so I can get some real life feedback as well as reviews.

16. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
    In my opinion, you should spend your budget on a good reciever with with a decent sub and fronts, then buy the center channel later with surrounds. Trust me, listening to quality 2 channel is more enjoyable compared to crappy 5.1 speakers.

Whether as to go with 5.1 or 7.1 is debateable. It really depends on room size.

If someone were to build a sub alone that cost as much as the Z-5500, it would deliver far better performance than anything commercial. I mean really, even if you spent your whole speaker budget that you would have used on Z-5500s, it really wouldn't sound any different considering the 'speakers' you get with it are not worth crap. :)

17. Capt Proton

Capt Proton Member Guru

GPU:
    2 X GTX 570
    Just not worth taking the time for a rebuttal.

StrikeQ. Consider everyone's opinion if it seems reasonable. There probably is no definitive answer except the one you provide yourself. If price is a factor, I think you would be hard pressed to come up with a system as good as the Z-5500s for anywhere from $200 - $300. If you plan to spend over $500, I'm sure there are many better speakers.
    Good Luck!

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    If your a bit strapped for cash you can look at the ONKYO HTiB's refurbished frpm the Onkyo factory. They are about $180 or so for a entry level recevier and speakers and sub. Atleats if you got this way you can upgrade the speakers at a later date. Not a bad system for the price.

19. SScorpio

SScorpio Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX
    I would also like to throw in a recommendation for a refurb Onkyo Home Theater in a Box.

You can get them from Onkyo's website here: http://www.shoponkyo.com/products.cfm?group_id=1&subcat=Systems

I ordered a HT-SR600 and use it with my PS3 and HDTV DVR without issue. The only draw backs to this model is that it only has two TOS link inputs and no HDMI inputs.

I get great sound from the system, and if you're not in a huge hurry Onkyo has sales every month or two where you get 10% off. The HT-SR600 currently goes for $189.99, but with 10% plus a bonus "Club Onkyo" $10 off you get when you great an account to shop at the site, I paid around $165 shipped.

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes, those are the system I was refering to. You can get great deals on some decent gear, considering the price.