Entertainment Software Association (ESA) Cancels E3 2023 Event due to Lack of Industry Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    [​IMG]

H83 likes this.
  3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The last E3 that wasn't crap was 1995 before the industry became a festering hive of scum and villainy.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I guess they don't even try to make it an online event... interesting.
    With Covid "over", I think it tells quite a story about the state of video gaming.

icedman likes this.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    This is the only response my brain can think of.

[​IMG]

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I found that statement peculiar, and checked the E3 history. 1995 was the first E3 convention. Very funny.

7. Catspaw

Catspaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080/8GB
    Yes, most events, orgs and similar die a few years after corpa starts getting into it.
    People tune out of those quite quick when they become a form of marketing for the companies that want to sell their increasingly shittier products.

We will from time to time champion something that aint total garbagio, but for the most part, ppl stop caring.

H83 likes this.
  8. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I'm no expert, but it seems to me all these convention/events just appear to be a money making scheme for a few "promoters" who just hire a hall for X amount, and then make a huge profit selling "booths/stands" to various companies and other suckers who pay extortionate prices for their little booth, that everybody ignores - they realize its a complete waste of time and money and don't go back the next year. Then the convention/event of that name dies and the "promoter" comes back with a new convention/event name to redo the scam again somewhere else. I've seen this myself at various yearly conventions that seem to get worse every year, as less companies attend, then die.

mentor07825, H83 and reix2x like this.
  9. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    I think it just comes down to simple economics. The companies looked around and saw that they actually made more money without attending or participating in E3 since 2019 and wrote it off as a necessity.

10. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Well, with all the consolidation of companies I am not surprise.

Things are changing quickly in the gaming industry.

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    The reality is that we no longer need shows like E3 and GameAwards.
    All a studio has to do is show the trailers for their upcoming games.
    No need for filler and devs stroking their own egos in a stage.

JAMVA likes this.
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Companies are penny-pinching too much these days - they're not going to spend the money for an event like this, because they're not spending the money to do anything that is either innovative or not an obvious cash-grab.

Well, that was always an option. I got the impression E3 was for more than just simply previewing game releases.

13. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    I'd rather it exist than not. And no, just showing trailers for games is not sufficient. E3 and such conventions are not just a place for you to watch trailers, that's such an unimaginative and silly way to look at a convention. They're a place for industry networking, news, and secrets, technology, hype, to get passed around. They're a place for gaming journalists to interact with companies and people from those companies for information and insight. They're also a place for developers to interact with gamers and their representatives for useful feedback

The issue is that these companies have grown far too large, they're no longer scrappy and desperate for attention but instead just mass mega-corporations whose marketing dollars dwarf anything any independent third party could put out. It's worse for the gaming industry for E3 and things like it to go away. No, no one cares if you specifically watched E3 or not and no, videos are not a substitute.

Of course it was, it's had playtesting, sneak previews, tournaments, giveaways, panels, exclusive promotional items, lounges, meet ups, signings, etc.

mentor07825 and fredgml7 like this.
  14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yep it's sad and is only going to get worse as the larger companies start gatekeeping games behind monthly paid services. Going to turn into netflix/hulu/amazon/etc but gaming.

Embra and fantaskarsef like this.
  15. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    One of the best things I like to see is documentarys about game developers when they were new, one I saw recently was about Bungie when they started to do Halo, other was Chris Taylor when it launched Supreme Commander, add others developers and games that we know, and you can see very clear on interviews the amout of passion that they had for their work and how that games changed this industry. Nowadays is just people doing their jobs.

Reardan likes this.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Worse even, since you can still buy physical discs with movies on them. I wouldn't bet my money on all the games coming in all editions on DVDs... or even blu rays, optical drives are just dead

Embra likes this.
  17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I wouldn't say they're "doing their jobs" when they released games that are poorly optimized and full of bugs or (if playing online) hackers.
    What you speak of is why the most recent AAA game I've played was from 2018, and the next most recent was from 2016. While there are a handful of newer ones I'd like to play, the vast majority are just crap. Games nowadays focus too much on realism, grinding, or checking off a list of new features that I'll only ever use once in-game. That hefty list of new features just makes games with an annoyingly steep learning curve, where 2 hours into the game and I still feel like I don't know how to play it. Others use online multiplayer as a copout to putting any real development effort in a worthwhile single-player mode.

Games developed by the passionate developers you spoke of are the ones that are actually fun, and the ones I find myself playing until 3AM.

icedman likes this.
  18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it all about streaming stuff these days why both with phyiscal presense when cheaper to do streaming. I surprised E3 is still a thing

19. Typhon Six Six Six

Typhon Six Six Six Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX
    Nice Star Wars quote.

20. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Not surprising with the gaming industry becoming both super stale and overly expensive to get into, even on the console side games have gotten ridiculously expensive and on the pc side it's the hardware u can't really win...