Enforce low power 3D mode

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Timur Born, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Timur Born

Timur Born Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070S 8 GB
    Ahoi.

A few years back I used Rivatuner's advanced settings to enforce "Low Power 3D" mode for desktop work. Compared to 2D mode this lead to considerably lower DPC latencies, compared to full 3D mode (maximum power) it lead to lower power consumption.

Is something like this still hidden in the NVidia driver? If so, how can it be accessed?

Thanks in advance!

2. janos666

janos666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    You can try Adaptive instead of Optimal Power or High Performance for Power management mode.
    Nv Profile Inspector has some way of forcing certain power sates and probably offers better granularity (you can pick several P states) but I didn't look at that software for years (and with recent hardware).

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    theres no point to this and you're chasing numbers for the sake of numbers.

4. Timur Born

Timur Born Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070S 8 GB
    Again, not everyone use their hardware purely for gaming. I know very well what the numbers and their ramifications mean.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, you don't.

6. Timur Born

Timur Born Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070S 8 GB
    Excuse me? Had a bad day? Need to randomly unload some mental baggage on a forum? Please do that elsewhere. Thank you.

Back on topic: Does Adaptive even differ from Optimal Power? I don't remember how I measured 2D vs. 3D modes back then (might have to search for very old posts of mine on other forums), so any hints are welcome.