Endurance Test of Samsung 850 Pro Comes To an End after 9100TB of writes

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    But I think that sudden repentine failures was the problem with ssd´s, not their read/write endurance.

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Do not underestimate the web cache of the everday procrastinator who has access to business class internet speeds.

3. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Any time data is written to, moved around, temporarily cached on an SSD, it counts towards "total bytes written" TBW of the SSD.

NAND flash cells can only be written a finite(but obviously overly pessimistic based on the demonstrated endurance) number of times.

You also have to take into account write amplification, which has to do with how data is written. You could actually end up writing a lot more data to the drive than the file size indicates. Keep in mind that an OS will usually be doing small amounts of reads and writes in the background at all times, and playing a game does a bunch of reads and possibly writes depending on the game and what it decides to page to the SSD.

Heres a good place to start

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification

http://www.seagate.com/tech-insights/ssd-over-provisioning-benefits-master-ti/

http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/beginners-guide/

I have a Crucial SSD that supports their Momentum Cache, which essentially lets me use 4GB of my system RAM as a cache to prevent a lot of unnecessary random writes, and i also enabled 10% overprovisioning beyond the SSDs 12GB standard setting since i have a 1TB drive and can use the OP to increase theoretical endurance.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  4. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    take a look on task manager -> performance -> drive activity
    there many things writing in background
    windows/apps/program, browser, stream (youtube/netflix) cache
    do u think a drive only writing when u saving some data/files to it ?

5. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Sammy 950 PRO. Looking good? :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

There are other technologies in development as well, although they are likely the potential successors to NAND. In the meantime, mechanical HDD's still have potential in much larger sizes using HAMR (Heat Assisted Magnetic Recording) for example.

7. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    We've had a few mSATA drives just die on us at work.
    Less than 3 years old usually, and under warranty.
    no chance of getting data back from them without going to OnTrack and paying a packet.

Most of them aren't even detected anymore, one I was able to only format in exFAT, it refuses to format into anything else...

My work laptop Samsung 840 Evo just upped and died last week, with no previous signs of death. Just crapped out after a reboot.

HDD's generally die pretty slowly, and show signs, and give plenty of time to recover data before its finally dead.

8. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Bad F'N A$$

9. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Well the ssd's are yet to beat the Phoenicians, their clay tablets have lasted over 4000 years. That's good storage without a backup!

10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Got to hand it to Samsung, their SSD's are plain amazing.

Had a Crucial M4 (remember those?), it died after two years but Crucial were champs in how fast and easy they replaced it. Next drive was an 840 Pro, never looked back.

Right now have an that 840 Pro has been used in an always on streaming and gaming computer for a while, before I retired it and put it in my laptop. Currently has about 13TB written, but nearly 24,000 hours of active time (!), and on the latest tests it's running faster than ever; just amazing.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017

11. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    And it's supposed to run about 50x the current TB or still more - going to take some years...
    Techreport endurance test needed 2.4 PB writes to kill a Samsung 840 Pro.

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This is clearly an endurance test and not one for performance, and also, it's an 850 Pro, not the Evo (which had issues already before it was replaced by the following models), as in their decreased read speads because of their firmware.

Still, buying Samsung again, after having had 4 Samsung SSDs in my own rigs, as well as some in rigs I built for friends. OCZ died on me eventually, the M4 is still doing very well.