End of Life notifications for Older versions Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    This will no doubt 'upset' many IT guys. For some reason they are vehemently opposed to updating all but the absolutely bare essential updates, and IE isn't one of them. Apparently some large companies are still running IE 8 and will continue to do so.

That is, if the following article is correct:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/14/microsoft_custom_support_agreement_internet_explorer_8/

I found it googling for IE 8, since I am well aware it is still commonly used in some environments. Apparently companies can apply for Customer Service Agreements for continued support. I just think that's stupid and encourages people to continue using grossly outdated software. There isn't really a valid excuse these days not to have at least IE 11 on pre-Windows 10.

Hey, even Windows 10 actually physically comes with proper IE, in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions (on 64-bit Windows), just that it's more there for backwards compatibility.

[​IMG]

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Windows 8 has Internet Explorer 10.... you cant even get 11 without updating to Windows 8.1

Internet Explorer 10 crashes every time you close it, the default IE10 that ships in Windows 8 doesn't crash, but once you update it with Windows update it crashes when you close it.... xD

Good thing I don't use it as a main Browser.. hohoho..

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    This is precisely why I've been using FF for years, though due to stupid lockdown at work I have to use Chrome here (no AdBlock on either for G3D :))

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Windows 8.0's last patch tuesday is the 12th of Jan. Whatcha gonna do brother?

6. benq

benq Active Member

GPU:
    Wtf dude, I have IE 11 with Windows 7.

7. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I think with 8 they just stopped updating anything on that version 7 is still supported 8 isn't.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yup, another friendly move from MS to force people to upgrade OSs

They're beginning to be a royal PITA at that game

9. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    They're just trying to avoid another Xp with 7 and having to support something that's 14 years old.

10. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    XP I can understand, it was great, but time is up, 7 isn't obsolete yet, by any means, still a very capable OS for 2015/16

End support once the OS is just a burden/risk for end users, not because you want everyone to be running Windows 10 to make life easier for your company :)

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Supporting software that's been discontinued costs the company money.... That's their concern. I'm in the process of migrating my systems to Linux. Even my work laptop is planned to be migrated to Linux within the next 60 days. MS is just getting to be too intrusive. At least with Linux I don't have to buy a new product key because I chose to do an upgrade....

12. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    In a nutshell

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Using IE11 on Windows 7 since it was released.

Been stuck under that rock for a quite a while havn't you?

14. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
  15. maize1951

maize1951 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    It's just like Micro$oft is trying to monthly motivate me to upgrade my Windows 7 HTPC to Windblows 10 which would cause my cablecard tuner to stop working.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Absolutely Nothing :-D

Waiting for a reason to install Windows 10, reason being a game that requires DX12...

This rock is like super comfy hey....

xD

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    That just shows bad support by the maker of the cable card. You should divert all blame to them, not Microsoft.

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Windows 7 is a jumbled mess of patches and updates to support new devices etc, along with fixes. Microsoft has been a rarity of companies in that they continue to support old OS's and software for so long. It's actually been their downfall. If Microsoft were like every other company out there with their support, people wouldn't be thinking twice of this upgrade.

It's no doubt costing Microsoft a lot of money to continue supporting software that has no new income stream. It's more the case that people are simply stuck in the past.

19. maize1951

maize1951 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    The issue is that Microsoft is not willing to sell the base software (playready) that makes the cable-card tuner work the way it is supposed to, to the cable-card tuner manufactures.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    My cable tuner doesn't work the way it's supposed to either....because of changes Microsoft made to Windows. Not everything concerning hardware is the fault of the hardware maker. Some of it legitimately is the fault of MS. My cable tuner works as designed under Ubuntu, Vista and Win7.....but not under Win8 or 10.