1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

encrypting microSD that records motion activated stand alone nanny cam

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by indieNoodle, Sep 17, 2018.

1. indieNoodle

indieNoodle New Member

GPU:
    stock ASUS M47a
    shot in the dark...

anyone have an idea how i can successfully either encypt, or password protect a microSD card that is used to record video in my motion activted stand alone spy cam? i have property that i'd like to ensure is being left alone and it occured to me if the camera is discovered, an unecrypted or un-password protected card can easily be removed and it's recorded content erased. I imagine that if encrypted or protected with password, the simple camera device cannot obtain write privileges on the card therefore defeating the purpose. thank you kindly for your time!

2. indieNoodle

indieNoodle New Member

GPU:
    stock ASUS M47a
    haha no, it's like the size of a pack of cigarettes. just want to be sure my roommate isn't going through my things. i have an old android phone that i have a remote viewing app on, but the internet is in their name and i don't have the router password. at this point if i ask for it, it may blow my cover or make it seem like something is up. i pay for half the internet so it shouldn"t be a an issue idealy, but we already aren't getting along and this person is a self-proclaimed narcissist and i suspect, possibly more. im just in a wierd situation, and with video proof i will have something to keep me sane. ...edit...oh sorry...i believe it's from Brickhouse Security. motion activated with night vision...it's pretty sweet. very simple, but with this one flaw that ive pointed out. i guess if nothing else i will just need to hide it very well

3. indieNoodle

indieNoodle New Member

GPU:
    stock ASUS M47a
  4. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Any encryption will have to be done from the camera itself. And keep in mind that covert "surveillance" will get you in deep trouble, at least in the EU without proper permission. No matter the reason.
    Even for your own property, you have to state that a camera is operational.

5. indieNoodle

indieNoodle New Member

GPU:
    stock ASUS M47a

Oh, I see. That's probly not possible with my current skill set. Thank you for responding, and also for the heads up. I'm aware that audio recordings are either one or two party legal from whichever U.S. state it is produced, but as for video only I believe the law is different but I haven't yet found any written statements regarding the recording of only video. Obviously it cannot be filming with intent to capture images that violate a person's privacy. I think I'm ok to film my private room, and possibly able to use the footage for legal matters given an agreement that the room is to remain off limits until consent is given by the tenant paying for it. I guess there's a few ways to find out how legal it is, right? haha. Thanks again!

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    some IFs:
    IF the camera setup was a Raspberry PI with a camera running MotionEye
    IF the SD card was encrypted from the startup as a LUKS partition
    IF the encryption was implemented into the MotionEye, which is Debian based
    /end IF statement
    This is what I can think about, maybe my ideas aren't so feasible, just thinking out of the box.

7. indieNoodle

indieNoodle New Member

GPU:
    stock ASUS M47a
    wow, you certainly thought further out than I. thank you! I assume i'd need to be running debian on a computer to access the proper information needed from the cam?