1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enabling 24-bit sound

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Lethal Abz, May 24, 2008.

1. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    Do you guys and girls know how to enable 24-bit in the Xfi-extreme music sound card in windows xp. There was a simplw option in windows vista under sound devices, which said 16 bit and 24bit and you can easily select it... however there non under XP.... Apparently, there is a software that comes supplied that lets you configure to 24bit 96khz but i cant find this software in creative website?

Any ideas guys.

2. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    wow over 60 views and no replies.... nice...

3. DES_MX

DES_MX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    As far as i can tell there is no point in doing that really. If you are planning to be using this for your regular mp3 playback, than you will not see any difference. 16bit --> 24bit upsample = marketing gimmick. If you are going to be properly listening to 24 bit audio sources, then you might notice a difference, but your accoustics system (speakers) has to be up to the task as well.

4. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    ^^^
    Yup. I'm an audio engineer. Unless you are doing true 24bit recording/editing in a professional application, your not going to be able to tell. And then you still would NOT be using that card for that. Unless the specific application has a 24bit setting and/or the audio file your listening to is true recorded 24bit, then you will not hear one bit of difference. CD's down sample to 16bit even though it is 24bit to begin with. & Mp3s, well don't get me started on the quality, but for the average joe it's good.

Last edited: May 26, 2008

5. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    yeah i know that, and you are right.... but i just wanted to know where the option is to "upsample" it under xp.. in vista it can be done under audio properties...

6. Ultraq

Ultraq Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT AGP
    I think in XP it's an application-specific property.

7. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    yeah... im trying to find that creative application..

8. Ultraq

Ultraq Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT AGP
    By that I meant that some applications (namely media players like Winamp) can do 24-bit playback, and it's in those apps that you have to enable it.
    Even then, you'll only ever get benefits if you're playing-back 24-bit audio files, which, unless you've made some yourself, rarely exist outside of recording studios.

9. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
    So Mr. Audio engineer, you must know exactly what's going into your audio files with a great pair of 'studio monitors'. :stewpid:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008