Empire: Total war thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by proliferazor, Mar 2, 2009.

1. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 370 4gb DDR 5
    You can turn that off in the game settings when you start a new game, you don't have to watch the movements of all the other factions. It can be a little daunting at first but it's worth the ride.

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    my loading times are fine. if u press spacebar it speeds things up.

its worth getting satch. its something you can be playing for months..theres a few nice mods like smoke n blood and people are improving the sound.

patchs are incoming so perhaps the a.i will be improved a bit.

i wouldnt say its more boring than medwar2. you can use cover have your artillery blast the oncoming infantry with shrapnel shot. naval battles also add some spice.

i like the research tree. the campaign map is pretty well done and its huge. you can fight india/new world/persia/europe.

the units are a bit annoying. i would have preferred to see some more unique units. and dont go head to head with the british infantry. u get murdered!

atm i have done better with the ottomans. i wasted the georgians but then the damm sneaky persians took bagdad while my back was turned.

have now spent 4 turns chasing a damm persian army across turkey. next stop is their capital..and to improve economy and improve defences in europe.

3. specvtuner

specvtuner Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RADEON HD 5850
    I just started EP3 of RTI. I'm getting frustrated cause you only start with Boston, and I'm trying to balance jump starting the economy, troop production, and taking other settlements. I have been building farms, shipyards, upgrading the civic buildings for extra tax income...I guess I could really raise taxes until I have a few more settlements under my belt. And it sure doesn't help when G.B. attacks Boston once a turn...any thoughts?

4. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    everything is fine but the campaign is too easy even on the hardest level. The computer navy is stupid. I also am experiencing a crash during a turn playing as britian. This game is not going to be played until there is a patch to stop the crash.

rome total war is still the best :)

5. tmsmith

tmsmith Member Guru

GPU:
    2x VisionTek HD 4870 512M
    Yea, unfortunately the game is plagued with bugs as of now. Although, I have seen that most Total War games were when first released but were later ironed out. Hopefully it will go faster considering Steam is involved this time around.

6. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 370 4gb DDR 5
    The trick is to wait a few years and build up you army and your trade. It doesn't hurt either to try and make allies with some of the native tribes either. Don't bother raising taxes, that will only lead to discontent. France won't join your side until you have a few territories under your belt and even then they don't actively send troops to bolster your side. I would try and get as many trading partners as you can, you can make a lot of money trading. Slowly build your military while making sure that you have a strong defense. Research everything, don't just concentrate on the military. Anything you research on the economic side will boost your trade income because you are producing more goods. The starting area around Boston should be built up before you strike outside your borders. Maine should be the first target then New York. Having an Alliance with the Iroquois early on doesn't hurt either.

7. Infanticide

Infanticide Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB
    Anyone has a problem and -solution maybe- for long AI turns? The game runs fine here, but now i am in 1750s, I do my turn in 5 to 15 minutes and AI is doing 45 minutes! I cant play it like that.
    BTW, I confirm that 185,20 forceware are really good with Empire - feels a lot smoother that 182.08 I previously was using (Vista64).

8. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    181.54 are also rlly good with Empire :p

btw, u should try smoke & blood mod for empire total war, adds blood and smoke when many units r shooting, smoke cloud around :p, they improve game experience imo ^_^.

9. specvtuner

specvtuner Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RADEON HD 5850
    Looks like I'll be starting over, LOL, I was planning on restarting anyways...I do REALLY appreciate the thorough advice! Empire is a lot different from the other TW games, I'm still adjusting, especially to the drastically changed campaign map.

10. Beez

Beez Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 GTX 4Gb
    I'm on my 3rd campaign as Great Britain, my other two campaigns would crash at the same point during the AI moves even though i was 60 turns in :(

This campaign seems bug free (fingers crossed). I was having trouble getting money in my first two but now i make so much i don't know where to spend it. It's only 1730 in my lastest game and i have the whole of the Americas and all of India :p My top tips for a great start to a campaign:

1. Lower taxes immediately. This may seem counter intuative but it will help your regions grow quicker and the rewards are far greater later in the game. Also your populace will love you for it and it makes you keep a far keener eye on what you are spending.

2. In the very first move of the game as GB, take your armies from GB put them in your naval fleet that is in the english channel and take them straight for Bengal, Calcutta. This will give you a great start in India. The Mughal Empire is a push over as they still have feudal troops so you can storm across India in the first ten moves or so.

3. Take a boat and spy on Florida. It's owned by the spanish at the start of the game but within the first few moves the Cherokee Indians will attack. Take your armies from the Caribbean and take Florida from the Cherokees. This will give you a good start in America, you should go on to crush the Cherokee nation and then move for Louisianna. I tend not to go for the Huron Confederacy until they have attacked me first as they a pain in the ass.

4. Don't forget to convert all regions to your religion. Exempt some places from tax for a few moves after you have taken control but if you still have your taxes low they will generally start loving you pretty quick. I find it funny that in my campaign Afghanistan and Baghdad are now 100% Protestant :p

I know each game is different and i'm only playing on normal (finding it too easy) also the AI doesn't know how to transport armies by boat which means they never send anyone to stop you taking thier territories and you can leave England completely undefended, but these steps should be universal.

I'm now at 1730 making £30000 per turn have the whole of America, India and Persia, about to take on the Ottomans and everyone loves me (apart from the rest of the world that hates me because they are jealous) :p

Good luck, hope this helps. I've played all the Total War games since Shogun, it's my favourite genre.

BTW MR. Bigtime if you want to play as all factions in Medieval II you've got to do this:

Find this directory:
    Medieval II Total War\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign

Then find the file descr_strat. Open it with a text editor (Word, or somthing like that). Cut and Paste the 'unlockable' section into the 'playable' section and save the file. Launch the game and you should have every faction available.

You can also unlock the Papal Estates, but not the Mongols, Timurids and The Aztecs.

Remember to make BACKUPS before you are editing the game files!!!!

11. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Yeah ME:TW is one of the best in series. My favorite countrys for grand campaign was England and the Teutonic Knights. Ive tryed all the MODS and the best has to be the Stainless Steel Mod. You might have to buy the expansion in order for the mod to work but its a great mod never the less. Combines all the kingdoms into a grand campaign and adds hundred more units like dismounted knights templar.

I have to say the TW series is the only series to keep it real with all there games unlike the DOW and CnC series.

12. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    MTW1 or MTW2?

bcs i loved mtw1 too :p, one region pern turn was ownage imo T_T

13. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
  14. blownapart

blownapart Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 900/1200
    My saved games are borked, causing CTD. Really annoying. I'll let this one sit and wait for patches. Meanwhile Eve is waiting to suck me in...

15. specvtuner

specvtuner Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RADEON HD 5850

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    aye me didnt like em...

17. Nexevo

Nexevo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX275 GS
    Updates to Empire: Total War have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Empire: Total War

* Multiplayer – can now find friends across regions
    * Load time detection on trade routes to fix pathfinding crash in campaign
    * Some General Sound balancing improvements
    * Fixed UI Chat hang when spectator leaves unranked match with 3+ players
    * Varies Campaign Crash Fixes
    * Some Save/Load fixes
    * Boarding fix where cannon crew board order was not being deleted properly causing crash
    * Fix to kill characters instantly to stop crashes in campaign on agent/general deaths
    * Save games limited to 1000
    * Fix to animation glitch causing repetitive sounds when battle is launched

I'm hoping a fix for the absent AI naval invasions will come soon.

18. rayzorz

rayzorz Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680
    I wish either CA or Nvidia will fix sli soon, a big title like this should really support it imo.

19. deusex

deusex Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 Ultra

Yeah, another useless update.

20. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 370 4gb DDR 5
    I don't if I'm lucky or what, but I haven't had one single problem running the game at all. I'm not trying to rub salt in anyone's wounds but it does seem that most of the complaints are coming from people with Nvidia cards. How about ATI users, has anyone experienced problems from Team Red?