Empire:Total War demo on Steam

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by blownapart, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I downloaded this in around 45 minutes at a constant 880 Kbps this morning.

Like others I've had the game hang a couple of times and had to use Task Manager to quit the game and the loading times are far too long. Even changing the graphics settings means an upto one minute long reload. And speaking of graphics settings, for some reason they don't save. Using the Auto button, the game sets everything to max (i.e High/Ultra) with 16X AF and 4X AA at 1680x1050. It's a bit annoying that the settings are not saved.

This is the first time I've played one of these games so I found the tutorials very useful although they don't always register that you've done what you've been asked. For example, it kept telling me to move backwards and forwards using W and S and I was yet it kept repeating it. Got a bit annoying to be honest.

I found the sea battles a bit slow and dull but they look pretty. The land battles were more exciting but a bit daunting and confusing as there can be a lot going on. Not really sure whether this is my kind of game really but it's a good generous demo nevertheless. I can't quite understand why it's 2 GB in size though. The visuals are very nice, especially the ones at sea, but hardly the most detailed I've seen and the sound effects are competent rather than excellent.

Not bad but I'd have to give more time as it is not normally the kind of game I play so it's all new to me.

2. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    they do save, just change your settings, and then exit the game (with exit button in main menu)

100% times we exit with alt+f4 or task manager, which loses the saving.

btw some1 else gay sound when making the game work at 6x speed?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  3. Infanticide

Infanticide Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB
    Playing the demo on Win7 here and its great. Those two tutorials and two battles gave me more fun than entire Medieval II, which i consider the worst part of Total War series. Cant wait for full game; hope it wont be that stupid & boring as MII-TW (especially diplomacy!).
    BTW - ive played Empire demo till 4 am, cant remember last game to did it to me :p

4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    total war is kinda niche game series but fans are rapid over the years and creative assembly's attention to detail is pretty good for history buffs. the meat of the game is the campaign's and the different factions with different strengths and weaknesses. conquering the world thru strength, diplomacy (which was totally reworked supposedly for this game) and balancing your technology and economy to support your forces is where the game really gets complex and fun and frustrating.

and i really hope we get some great modifications for this game in the future a shogun mod with this graphics and combat engine would be gorgeous. :)

5. Bounty

Bounty Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
    Just finished the demo. Very impressed as I have been with most of the Total War series. Load times are a little long maybe but there is a lot to load especially if you can play on the ultra settings.

Going to pre-order now. :)

6. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    I just played the demo, NAVAL TRAINING.

Level loads in 40 seconds. No error no slowdown. smooth.1680*1050. Everything at MAX and ENABLED but just AA is 2x.

Good game. i loved it.

7. mcharj11

mcharj11 Banned

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC
    It is a niche but they are trying to break out of it by making the Americans the stars of Empire Total War (previous Total War games have not been popular in the US becuase they did not feature the US). I don't really like this because it's about the age of empire and colonisation and when you think of that you think European powers. You think British Empire, France, The Dutch, Spain, and Portugal.

During this time Britian were the stars, best and largest navy, best trained and most professional army, controlled more land and sea than any other faction.

8. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i think total war appealed to a certain customer base no matter where they lived, usa has history and tactican buffs to that are more than likely big fans of this series.

and i think the time period the united states while not a major power is still a force in this age. plus there are a ton of "minor" factions including the united states if you will you can play as. i disagree that they are the stars of this game, or are so because ca and sega are trying to just pimp their product out to get more americans to buy it.

after all the independence of the united states is one of the bigger happenings of this "age of empires" and certainly an event that changed the history of the world. much like the mongol invasions were part of previous total war games, it did not make the mongols the "stars" of the game.

i think you are being a tad cynical :).

9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    played the demo and liked it....whether its as good as medieval total 2 we will see.

first impressions were good. i might fiddle around with some settings later see what max fps it can throw out.

but am addicted 2 warhammer atm. awesome game. really like what they did re the squads.

its a like a rpg/shooter/rts. i guess its only the space marine campaign atm.

best warhammer by miles.

10. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    I can confirm that the demo doesn't work on Windows 7 with 182.06 installed. It does work with the new wddm pre release drivers though. But those make FEAR2 run like crap. Its a great game no doubt, but it really isn't my thing, so I'll stick with FEAR2. ;)

11. mcharj11

mcharj11 Banned

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC
    Your probably right, it's just that there is a seperate campaign which is all about founding America and the fight for Independence. Myself being a very patriotic British citizen would have liked a campaign about the building of the Empire. However i guess i'll get to do that anyway, just with no story behind it.

And it has been discussed before that Total War games have poor sales in the US but sell very well in Europe.

12. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    ya the main game is about making a empire, the finding usa thing is a side game in my eyes at lest the core game is about building a power of your choice to dominate the entire world. and heck you can play the english and crush the united states in the main game i imagine.

i wonder if you can take the native american factions and make them a force to dominate that would be kinda cool or they going to play like the rebel factions like the old games.

got mine pre ordered on steam special forces edition can't wait for the 4th. :)

13. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    5700XT

level loads in 2min here :(.

2gb ram in XP... shud be enough, i hope they optimize those loadings.

14. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870
    Played the land battle again today, really enjoyed it...using the right tactics it's pretty fun.

Yeah it would be a great idea, especially if you had done it a few years ago.

Luckily Valve are a privately owned company though - so all these people worried that Steam will suddenly collapse or get taken over should calm down.

I understanding having issues with Steam in 2004, but welcome to 2009. The only issue I have is that you can't sell games on.

Yeah it definitely needs some time.

I don't mind too much about any American focus, but I do hope they get some historical maps from the Peninsula or espesically East Europe campaigns where the real epic and important battles of this time happened - Leipzig, Austerlitz etc.

15. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    5700XT
    also the land battle there sucks (its the worse scenario it could be done player-pov imo), i mean, at least for me, i played twice and won twice, but i dont like a lot to be the one who attacks on a damn river xD

i hope that spain gets some decent units, at least we were the first who won vs napoleon xD, altho it was with knifes and stones.

16. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870
    Yeah interesting I wonder how the Spanish militia and guerra de guerrillas will be portrayed in the game, pretty important. Ambush missions would be awesome...

And you Americans better pay your taxes like a good little colony!

17. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    hehehe!

epic!

18. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Well played the demo and its exceeded all my expectations just like all the other total war games. Naval battle is very well done and really requires you to stratagize. Land battles are as better than ever ...I really like the way the game will still require you to go close combat from time to time.

Btw first time i played the land battle i had a nice plan ....

I sent mobile artillery over to a hill on the left side of the map that over looked the enemys artillery. I sent two squads of red coats + melee cavalry + Grenaders + Mounted grenaders to guard the left entrance onto british starting side of the map.

With the rest of the units i set up a nice formation quite far away from right entrance just incase the americans decided to bring the fight over to my half of the map.

Result After i ordered the arty to fire on there troops they started moving over to my side of the map. My troops layed waste to theres with the close combat cavalry flanking there troops and attacking from behind. At this stage i ordered the 3 blue coat squads to go melee and pincer them.

Mean while the two red coat sqauds moved to the rear of the town on there side of the map and pushed towards the right entrance. The grenaders pooned there artillery.

EPIC first battle and very well executed.

19. Infanticide

Infanticide Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB
    XVIII century in Europe was the beginning of five powers that dominated almost entire world in XIX century: GB, France, Prussia, Russia and the Habsburgs state (Austria). It was also the end of Spain's and Sweden's power and entire Europe saw how weak is Polish-Lithuanian state. And also one of the most important thing to happen in XVIII century was independence of 13 colonies. All this is in the game - so I dont see any problem here as you can play any faction you want - you dont need to choose Americans.
    And when I think about XVIII century army i see Prussian army as most modern and trained, but i agree Brits dominated the sea back then.

20. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Is the demo single player only? If not, how is the multiplayer battles?