emergency upgrade-requesting opinion

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Ilmarin, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Ilmarin

Ilmarin Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7800GTX 512 extreme
    well its been a while since i last posted...greetings everyone

ok so my board (asus A8N SLI) finally decided to leave me without a stable system and frankly it had issues since day one.wont go over that boring story tho.needless to say ill be glad to replace it and since s939 boards have become a rarity i thought i might as well do a major upgrade
    SO!
    CPU: X2 6000+
    board:MSI K9N Diamond (SLI)
    ram:transcend 2x1GB 800mhz

rest stays as is for now since i just want a working pc tbh but i do plan on getting 2 gfx cards for SLI around Xmas time (which would explain my choice of a nforce590 based board)
    total price roughly 500 euros
    so what do you ppl think bout my plan?thanks in advance

2. gunman127

gunman127 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti 6GB 960 2GB
    You do realize the a Core2Duo would be faster, cheaper, and cooler...

3. Ilmarin

Ilmarin Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7800GTX 512 extreme
    yes yes but i want AMD.matter of preference.besides the 6000+ outperforms the hell out of my FX55.
    oh and just a sidenote....if you re just going to state the obvious its better if you dont post at all.so what if c2d is better?back in the day the Ati 9700/9800 series was the better performer but i still went ahead and got myself an FX5900U.its all a matter of preference as i already mentioned

4. TylerTron21

TylerTron21 Guest

so do u have a 7800gtx?

id get a 8800GTS. or GTX if u have the extra money.

Which it seems u do :p both ur pcs kick butt

5. Ilmarin

Ilmarin Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7800GTX 512 extreme
    well like i already said ill be leaving the GFX upgrade for xmas.kinda waiting to see what nvidia will dish out around that time apart from the 8800 ultra that is.and yes i have a 7800GTX 512mb extreme edition by POV.but all this is a bit beside the point of the topic is it not? ;)

6. 6280shawn

6280shawn Member

GPU:
    Ati 1650Pro 512
    I know this may be a moot point with the new raw power of the C2Duo's, but aren't AMD chips better at games?

7. Ilmarin

Ilmarin Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7800GTX 512 extreme
    very moot.sorry.currently intel leads in almost every benchmark (their 2 top models that is) games included.but the point is any upgrade that offers a significant boost in performance is a good upgrade and trust me i was shattered at the nigh abysmal performance gap between the 6000+ and my FX55.so for me its definately a good upgrade

8. 6280shawn

6280shawn Member

GPU:
    Ati 1650Pro 512
    I've been away awhile. This was what I could afford but I got lucky with a CABNE 0528 and I'm excited that there is someone here who has actually oc'd one. Yes, I would love a Intel Extreeme!

9. DmZ

DmZ Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260@285 Speeds
    So, why the hell did YOU even post?

All you wanted was people to say, "Cool. Way to go, dude!"

That's not what a message board is for. Grow up...

10. TylerTron21

TylerTron21 Guest

ohh well if the gfx card upgrade is waiting go ahead and see if u hear anything about Geforce9. They spose to be out soon i hear.....
    i know 8900 is a couple month away.

and im happy with AMD also. even tho, intel leads, theres nothing wrong with AMD. they still and always will game strong.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    In terms of price standpoint the E6600 and X2 6000+ used to be the same price and were very similar in benchmarks (the E6600 won by an insignificant amount of frames in games usually) but recently the prices of AMD CPUs dropped again so now the 6000+ is cheaper.

So in terms of price to performance the 6000+ wins at the moment but that's assuming you don't overclock. The 6000+ is pretty much at it's limits at stock, you won't be able to push it much past 3.4GHz while the E6600 has been known to hit 4GHz which is rather impressive.

The only benchmark with equally clocked CPUs I've ever seen an AMD CPU win vs a C2D was in decompression of some sort of small file type. Both were clocked at 2.4GHz, there was a P4 in the comparison too but that did pretty much nothing.