Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JonasBeckman, Nov 6, 2012.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I don't see why that would mean it should not be an option, like in almost every other game made in the last 5 years.

It absolutely doesn't. On or off, makes almost no difference. As soon as there's any movement whatsoever on the screen, it's shimmer fest.

Well, that would mean you have to play the game at 15-20FPS.

Truder likes this.
  2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Sure it could be an option, I can't argue against that.
    Shimmer is minimal in space, didn't really notice any bad shimmering in Odyssey either, maybe because I run medium shadows with the rest at High/Ultra.
    I also dislike shimmering, SWTOR as example was really plagued by it.
    For base game and Horizon, only if you got a lower end GPU, use 4-8k resolution or run into temperature throttling, Odyssey is a different beast which needs way more optimization from the developers.
    It does run fine on my end, but I do notice higher GPU utilization for almost nothing which also results in higher temperatures, which is something I dislike since the fans on my card need to work harder and make more noise, turning the graphics low does not help, so definitive a question of optimization.

3. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Someone posted this on Reddit: For anyone with awful FPS after getting Odyssey: here's how I fixed it : EliteDangerous (reddit.com)

Gonna start my download and have a go later. Still not grabbed by the FPS stuff but on-foot exploration interests me the most, even though the payments might be crap atm.

[EDIT] There's a Odyssey launch live stream on Twitch now, if you've linked your frontier account and twitch account you can claim some ingame freebies like engine colour, paint job, character customisation etc. If anyones bothered. I ain't really but thought might as well while I wait for the d/l to finish.

EliteDangerous - Twitch

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  4. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Agreed, the AA "solutions" in Elite have always been poor, only way around it is either using supersampling or VSR/DSR

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Mineria likes this.
  6. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Had a bit of a play last night, am on a trip to colonia so after the tutorial I was back in the cockpit of my AspX in the middle of nowhere, set course to the nearest planet and bagged a first footfall.

Performance for me is pretty good with a mix of ultra and high at 1080p but I did end up dropping shadows to medium to claw back some frames as at some stations it dipped to 40fps for no apparent reason and the fire effects in the tutorial also tanked my fps to 40. Other than that I'm looking at a reasonable 70-90 fps on foot and a locked 144fps in space. I did delete my old graphics config prior to launching the game for the first time, also installed the latest driver from nvidia and even enabled HAGS in windows.

For me the main issue is the darkness of the new lighting system. I can just about live with it but what I find annoying is how it impacts the FSS scanner as when you zoom in on a planetary body, it renders brighter than the sun but the brightness on some UI elements gets turned right down almost as if its some lame attempt at HDR for non-HDR displays.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I get 54FPS in...

... THE MAIN MENU.

lmao.

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    You most probably get way more in space and 54 fps everywhere else, it's like the engine renders a lot of elements that are offscreen.
    As example, when your coming from space and land inside a station, GPU utilization goes up by a lot and stays there until you leave the place, there is no difference from station, hangar and inside the station, same utilization, same thing happens on planets.
    Even when comparing it to other games with newer and much more complex graphic engines, utilization is way up to do less, hence why I suspect that the engine renders things way ahead.

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it doesn't require the DXR api though, amd/nvidia could supply optional access to Raytracing cores under prior API's using their feature caps allowing ATAA in place of TAA everywhere.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I was more thinking in the way that the RT feature would only be available for people that got a card supporting it.
    But yes, if they can supply it as an option where TAA already is implemented would be really nice.

12. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Went to try out my first on foot mission today as I'm on a bit of stop gap at Attenborough's Watch in the Lagoon Sector. Was browsing through the missions trying to make sense of them and decided on a simple courier gig. Brought up the mission at the mission terminal and next to the "Accept Mission" button saw a galaxy map button so thought "ok lets see where this gig is!", closed the map and now the UI is unresponsive and I have to close Elite from the task manager... managed to reproduce it several times so submitted a bug report... The Beta is real!

Might be my imagination but after last nights hotfix the game seems to be running a little bit better and some users on the subreddit were reporting the same.

13. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Been playing a bit more now and I have to say that despite having a bit of a downer on Odyssey prior to launch I'm finding it pretty good! Certainly not worth the review bombing in my opinion but then again I guess I've been lucky and server issues and a few bugs aside its been a smooth ride for me.

I haven't done much of the combat but I did do some planetary fetch jobs which required me to be a bit stealthy and use my brain a little which was a welcome change from going all guns blazing. I've been enjoying Exobiology though as it finally gives me a bit of a reason to land on planets. In the past I wouldn't have bothered unless I needed engineering materials but now I'm finding it quite fun to scan the biological signatures on planets, have had several first discoveries too! Wouldn't do it as my main activity in the game but alongside of exploration its quite nifty to have and can break the monotony and bring in some additional credits.

What they need to do now is to find a way to make the process a bit less cumbersome as currently its a case of landing on a planet with biological signals and then literally looking around for them and finding certain things like bacterial growth can be very hit & miss as you might fly slowly, looking for it for ages without seeing any. A module for your ship with the ability to ping and highlight biologicals would be ideal but I'd settle for the SRV picking the signal up ( it might do already, don't know but I find it easier to fly around with my Asp as I never got on with the SRV controls ).

Few things I wanna nag about...

1. The engine needs work, I used to be able to ignore the lack of decent AA solution but in settlements you can sometimes REALLY see the aliaising.

2. The new planetary tech is simply busted at the moment, pretty sure its a known issue and being worked on but its nowhere near what was being promised, infact I would go as far as to say that it worked better in Horizons.

3. Network stability is still an issue but much better than what it was say a week ago.

4. Kinda used to it but the game is still annoyingly dark which makes it a real pain in the arse to map planet surfaces at times because you just can't see where your probes landed.

Overall I think we have a solid ( bugs aside ) platform now and there's a lot the devs can do to expand on it and I'm fairly positive that they will. Did they rush it out ? Absolutely! They should have considered a 2 week open beta at the very least and even though I'm having fun I still feel that we're now beta testing this for the console guys. Oh well, at least it gives me a chance to bag lots of 1st footfalls before the console players roll in.