Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JonasBeckman, Nov 6, 2012.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Wow, the trade route data missions and trying to locate cargo floating in space is so poorly implemented.

Why is a weak, strong or Unidentified signal not marked as indentified once youve dropped out of super cruise and, ya now, identified it.

I spent 4 hours trying to find a trade route data capsule, constantly re scanning and dropping out of SC for the same stupid singles that ive already checked out. Then, once i found the capsule, I was moving into pick it up, only for an npc to drop down right in front of me who then proceeded to scoop it up, then blast off faster than i could keep up.

I feel sorry for those that payed full price for this EA game. The gameplay is simply appalling.

I dont feel as though im in space either. It feels and looks so cardboard cutout, the visuals are sub-par save the cockpit and the the majority of the visual effects have been downgraded quite substantially since release.

The X series game make this look shamefully amateur, and going by the horizon videos Ive seen, this doesnt seem to have been improved upon at all.

I dont think Frontier know what to do with the space that the universe provides them.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  2. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    If by appalling you mean the best thing since Freelancer then I agree :)

Helpful reply: It sounds like your doing it wrong, some missions arnt worth bothering with and the game does no hand holding at all

3. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    tbh I'm a bit worried after reading all this above. Bought two of these in monday when this was still on sale, one for me and other for my older son. Still have no free time to try it, maybe for the weekend. Although 2x 12.x€ is not that much but I've already hyped my son about this game (talking him how I've played original Elite on C-64 while I was his age, few days non-stop without turning off computer because lack of save game) and if he disappoints I'm screwed both for that and for the fact this is my fist game after 1.5 year of gaming pause I'm willing to play :cry:

4. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    For me I found the experience a great example of what could of been, but isn't unfortunately.

5. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Very accurate I'd say. I felt the same way toward it. I noticed that they downgraded the game after it became known that they were looking to release for console.
    Its clear that Frontier just made the game with the hopes that players would play it as they wish, but what they did make is too rudimentary imo. They didn't fill out the universe in enough of a meaningful way, and gameplay overall lacks flow.
    Surface landing is hardly enough to save this game.

If there are missions not worth doing, then why place them in the game anyway? I noticed this during my time with the game.. tons of "run this material/data etc over to this station" for a worthless amount of credits.

Pointless really. Even when you do find a decent trade route for particular items, you just go back and forth ad nauseum. Why? Just to gain credits to upgrade your ship.. rinse repeat. No thanks.

My honest suggestion, don't bother wasting your time. It will be fun for a while, but you will tire of it quickly. If you can get it for a really cheap price then its worth it, but hopefully your expectations are not too high going in. Its not really that fun of a game.. its laborious.

IMO they simply released the game too early. When I was on the frontier forums and all the sudden was reading posts of "we're so excited to be releasing Elite Dangerous next week!" I was like.. uhhhh *nervous laugh*

At that time (this was months ago) the universe, aside from stations and planets was for the most part, empty. Missions were still all over the map, there were still gameplay issues with framerate drops and freezing occuring for people coming in and out of hyperjump.. you name it.
    As a beta backer of this game, I feel as though I wasted my money. I have literally zero desire to open this game up at this point.

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Theres no real risk either.

Ive realized that i can just take the riskiest missions that payout the most (kill some dude we no longer like, or transport/pickup this rare item), and if i get killed, i dont lose any money ive made so far other than the tiny fee it costs to buy a new sidewinder if you start in a different location.

From a new game, you can be earning 50K+ doing 5-10min missions. At least, to me that seems rather odd.

Also, why, why if when i dock on the surface, just the surface and do my thing within the services panel, why once im done and select launch, does the dock lower, spin, rise and only then let you take off? Majority of the time, once it spins you around, you're now facing a giant solar panel or large cargo hold, yet when you initially land, you're often facing the emptiness of space with no obstruction.

and every galaxy looks the same.....like, what are these guy doing?

I get that these development models take along time to build, but when you take into account that people who backed this game from the beginning for full price but missed out or couldn't afford to also buy the lifetime pass, are now expected to pay full price for the same game + Horizons, just to get new content...

Thats taking the piss and i cant believe that people are trying to justify it. "The first Season was just ED. Horizons is Season 2, you cant expect things for free"... like what the F.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  7. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    See I hadn't even eluded to the whole season's pass nonsense.

When you consider the steep cost of entering the beta (I ended up paying ~$80.. earlier than my beta tier it was over $100) to not have access to later content really is a slap in the face.

That's just another way that I feel burned by the game. Definitely not worth the beta price (as there was very little to the game) and now that there is more to the game (yet still not enough) you are expected to pay again?

What I don't understand is why people complain so bitterly about Star Citizen being such a scam, but Frontier has largely flown under the radar, or people are happy to defend them. Personally, I feel like both Frontier and CIG are taking the piss.. the only difference with SC though at least, is that I plegded for a Freelancer a year ago now, and that alone will entitle me to the full Squadron 42 Campaign as well as access to the universe..
    At cheapest, you can pledge for an aurora and get the same access for ~$50. Way cheaper than ED was when I got in on it.

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Im not sure where to begin with Star Citizen, so ill leave it for when or if i ever actually ever play it for myself. But at least in the case of ED, I dont get it, but i want to.

I am unfortunately a massive fan of the the question "Why".

Why...
    is this a 10+ year plan
    am i doing deliveries
    am i bounty hunting
    am i 'discovering' planets

Im sure you get the idea.

Looking at this ED wiki, this tidbit here just leaves me completely confused:
    How does that even remotely change the nature of the game. Its complexity within the nature of the game, it couldn't possibly anymore within the nature of the game. The players are supposedly meant to be able to change the history of mankind within the universe of ED, but thats impossible without the players being able to build and control small/large sections of cities, solar systems, the universe.

With this exclusion, this basically means that the next 10 years of this game will purely be about sight seeing, deliveries, dog-fighting and pirating. Player controlled factions are the reason that EVE is so popular and successful. It would be nothing without that.

I mean:
    How does the player have that sort of an affect on the universe if they are by design, excluded from actually having any real affect on the universe.:3eyes: Are the players meant to find blowing up the same copy and paste NPC cities, installations, fleets.. to be exciting?

Then theres this:
    Walking around? Im sorry, but what? Is this meant to excite me?:3eyes: Why should i walk around in a universe that gives no reason to do so?

Just...argh, Why? I dont get it. All this work for what?

I fell this sort of scale of game is simply wasted on the aim for realism. Imo, this sort of game does not suit a realistic approach to human exploration, simply because you're instantly limited by current expectations of what we're expecting to achieve when this sort of space faring tech actually exists and the fact that as human, we're ****ing boring.

Id much rather see this sort of scale be put to use using the Warhammer 40k universe or halo, hell, even Space Rangers.

I also think that such lengthy development cycles is what killed Id Software and other legendary developers from that era. The "when its done" mantra just doesn't work anymore. What happens when 10 years is up? What happens if Frontier go broke, the servers go down and then what? All that work for...

I suppose the die hard fan would say "well thats the risk you take". Well, im sorry, but theres risk and then theres stupidity and as it stands with ED, the risk far out ways the possible reward and its easy to see why ED and SC had to resort to kickstarter and co to get funding.

This is one of those few cases where i see eye to eye with the publishers and banks that said "Thanks, but no thanks".

The cost of Horizons after the GBP39.99 to NZ$ is $90!! Theres no way anything within Horizons current state is worth that, not yet at least.

Edit: Apologies if all this is hard to read. This forums layout and Advanced Edit dont lend themselves to pleasant formatting.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  9. Hootmon

Hootmon Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Eve, and all of the baggage that comes with player-controlled factions, is precisely what the original backers do not want ED to be.

Did you ever play the original Elite?

10. Fluxeor

Fluxeor Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-270X Toxic
    Whilst Horizons price is steep for existing owners, there's a number of things I'm going to call you out on..

Re-buy costs when you fly a Sidewinder are negligible, however when you start flying larger and upgraded ships, costs of replacement can set you back a few hours (at least 2 of mine cost over half a million to replace.. and those aren't even close to the costs of an Anaconda), if you're really unlucky you wind up in negative figures. Missions aren't particularly lucrative.. and you'll have to grind a whole chunk of them to buy some of the factional ships.

Dock orientation in enclosed stations will always face you towards the station exit.. on smaller stations it simply turns you away from the landing pad control tower.

You wouldn't know if Galaxies look different because you only have access to one, the Milky Way. The distances between star systems mean you won't find them looking hugely varied until you start getting through a lot of them, like closer to the galactic core or outer spirals (where you'll have to invest a bit of time and credits in reaching, in ships kitted out for exploration... not a Sidewinder).

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Evening all. First Time I have logged in 6 weeks. The is the last time I login to guru3d as I've moved on, so anyone that wants to chat you can catch me on steam.
    Also elite dangerous and horizons I've seen my vram go up to 5160mb on the planets surface (maxed out) so because of this and xmas approaching I've purchased another Titan x.

Anyhow as Duncan banantyne would say "I'm out".

12. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    See ya Vet. All the best dude.

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Thanks man take care.

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Fair enough, Veteran, take care.

Before you, go, what is you Steam username, if you dont mind? Edit: Found it.

Yeah i realized that the other day when i zoomed all the way out I was like:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  15. Truder

Truder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    This, Eve or Star Citizen? Pros/cons? :D

17. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Currently - this. Horizons release on the 15th is even more reason to say this.

Reasons:

Eve is like a spreadsheet and I could use it fall asleep faster

Star citizen - will hopefully be my first choice *once finished* - it is not yet, you will get more to enjoy with Elite until citizen is finished for sure.

Elite is fun, beautiful, regularly updated, and with horizons planetary landings are almost here!

18. Danwillysxi

Danwillysxi Master Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti
    Elite Dangerous all day. I have enjoyed immensely since I started playing back in February of this year but buying a HOTAS (X55 Rhino) and implementing voice attack with a HCS voice pack has made the 'role playing' aspect of the game 1) awesome 2). the closest I'll ever get to commanding my own space ship and leaving this ****ing planet :giggle2:

Buy it. Embrace it. The sounds, sights and scenarios you will find are like nothing else IMO.

19. Truder

Truder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Exactly this!

Now some say that the problem in Elite is credit grind, that it's bad, but frankly you're playing the game wrong if you're JUST credit grinding because there are multitudes of things and ways to play Elite but not only that, the game is meant to be about the dangers of space (that's why it's called Elite Dangerous), anything can go tits up at a moments notice, here's an example:- One day I was mining, in a Type-9, I found a decent ring with a decent system nearby to sell the mined materials, completed the mining so made the short hop to the next station. After I made the hyperspace jump and arrive at the star of the next system, I get interdicted by a pirate. I submitted because space cow is cow in space and NPC pirates being as they are, thought I could just boost and high wake out, turns out I was wrong, I overheated and assploded, why? Because I forgot to use heatsinks and the Type-9 is a cow in space, space cow.

Sure enough if you want endgame outfitting or ships, you'll need to grind or if you want the Elite badge for trading, you'll need to grind but you're the on in control, it's up to you to do it!

Eve Online - well, you don't really play Eve, you wait for Eve...

Star Citizen - it'll be 2017 before we see it, no point with the Alpha.

Fly safe commander and see you in space, cowboy! o7

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Three votes for Elite, looks like I'll go for it then. Thanks!