Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JonasBeckman, Nov 6, 2012.

1. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    Well I did play Frontier and it did have a similar problem in Alpha Centauri but it took about 30 minutes then rather than an hour and a half, hee hee!

I had to go there because I had a kill some traders mission that I took which turned out to be a bad mistake - 10,000 bounty after my first kill so I abandoned it in favour of "come and see me in Hutton Orbital and I shall wash the blood from your hands!" What was my reward for that - 800 credits I tells ya. I feared it would have been stuck on my transactions screen forever if I'd have left it.

Mind you I got a C4 thruster for my Cobra so it wasn't a complete waste of time and I managed to get on with a crossword I was stuck on.

I'm currently hanging around Lacaille 9352 and am constantly doing missions for Jet State Holdings to see if they will take the system over, I'm unclear over how the mechanic works at the moment so I'll have to see what happens. They are up to about 80% influence now so if any of you want to come and help you are welcome!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  2. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Yeah, i did that one, took 45min to get there, so i fixed something to eat... Good stuff at the station though...also it was a gold run so payoff was good..

The cool thing about the game is they make you think before you do those big money runs.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  3. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I'm bummed that playing in open play is still so poor performing.. I mean you're super cruising around near planets and its still laggy and pauses all the time. I really wished they would have fixed this by now.. been like this for too long and really kills the immersion for me.

I am gonna play it over the holidays probably quite a bit, so I hope that they will still have a couple patches coming up and that this will eventually be addressed.. it all started with a particular patch where they adjusted the textures on the planets.. ever since then performance has never been as good.

Also, it still pauses when you come in and out of SC.. super annoying.

On a positive note though, the rest of the game does appear to look better than ever. Stations, outposts, ships and effects all look great and Frontier has done a good job improving these since earlier in development.

4. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    I'm not having any of this lag & the pauses you speak of 100% smooth as silk maxed out.Something with your setup maybe ?.

5. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Interesting.. Are you playing on win7 or win8?

It could be my system, but nothing has changed other than drivers since early standard beta..

6. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I'm running Win8.1 with update 3 with little to no issues at all game runs smooth as silk, only time I notice any issue is once in a while in a space port what maybe a little lag. But I'm playing in open play.

7. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    Any serious lag is from accessing the Frontier server I'm assuming so you might look at tweaking that side of things ScoobyDooby. For me the game isn't silky smooth but the lag is pretty minimal and hardly irritating.

8. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    It uses direct peer to peer, doesn't it? Which regions are you both based in? That could have a large impact depending on whose computers yours is currently talking to.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Race to Elite Competition.
    Frontier Developments is offering a separate £1,000 cash prize to the first player who attains Elite status for each of combat, trading and exploration, and a further £10,000 prize for the first player to attain the coveted Triple Elite status for total mastery of all three. Player’s choosing to claim one of the £1,000 cash prizes will make them ineligible for the ‘triple’ prize, though one player could get more than one of the £1,000 prizes.

Entrants must start from a fresh save on the release version of Elite: Dangerous, starting with the Sidewinder and 1,000 CR, and use ‘Open Play’ multiplayer mode only. They can use the slight advantage of the Eagle starship offered as part of Elite: Dangerous’ Mercenary Edition, but otherwise it should be a level playing field. If in Frontier’s sole opinion, there has been any cheating, then an entry may be disallowed.

This is a skill-based competition with the following prizes for the first person to reach:

1. Elite in combat - £1,000 or $1,500 or €1,200*
    2. Elite in exploration - £1,000 or $1,500 or €1,200*
    3. Elite in trading - £1,000 or $1,500 or €1,200*
    4. Elite in all three - £10,000 or $15,000 or €12,000*

To qualify you must:

a. Start on or after release of the full game (for some this will mean you will have to voluntarily clear you save on or after the release)
    b. Start with the Sidewinder start position and 1000 CR.
    c. Not cheat. We will manually look at the save files of the potential winners to verify this. The winners will be determined in our sole opinion and our decision is final.
    d. If you choose to claim one or more of the £1,000 prizes you are ineligible for the £10,000 prize.
    e. Play wholly in Open Play mode (not solo or friends groups)
    f. Participation is subject to the payment of any prize not being prohibited under or contrary to applicable law in your country.
    f. Not be an employee of Frontier Developments, or family members or direct associates. Ambassadors are OK.

There is no time limit. When there is a winner in any of the categories, we will announce it here on the forums (and elsewhere).

Note: those who pre-ordered or backed the game may get a slight benefit from their starting second ship (the free Core Dynamics Eagle).
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76535

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I'm in Canada, about as west coast as you can get.

I was just playing for the past couple hours. This time I played on the Windows 8 install.

Found that the game plays about the same as it does on Windows 7. Most of the time its smooth, but once I get around planets or look in the direction of planets in clusters, I notice that the framerate drops, and at times gets a bit laggy.

I tried both Open and Solo play. The stutters are not terrible, I notice them more coming in and out of SC.. however, flying up to and around planets at times my framerate drops considerably and consistently and is very jarring.

I tried to adjust settings in game and also use the Dev suggection of going into the games' xml config to lower the settings for planetary draw and it didn't really change anything.

I will play with it more, but like I mentioned earlier, this only ever became a problem for me since beta when they made adjustments to procedural draw on the planets. Since then, I've noticed that the performance in game was no longer smooth "everywhere" like it used to be.

the only thing I haven't recently tried is to run single card instead of SLI.. I will try this next time to confirm that this isn't a potential issue.

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    As Braben says, this is just the beginning.

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    That guy looks like one of the puppets from team america.

Great vid btw, cheers Veteran.

13. jimdove

jimdove Master Guru

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    Ive noticed the games performance is not as it was during the beta months I played in a few months ago. Game looks like **** as well now for some reason. Did they do a ubisoft?

14. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    I'm using 8.1 but I am playing with g-sync enabled.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  15. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    I'm using 8.1 but I am playing with g-sync enabled too and it's as smooth as a babies bum lol. Only a few times while playing do I get a bit of stutter.

16. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
  17. Goldie

Goldie Banned

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    That Braben seems a real upfront kinda dude that has the ability to inspire faith in his work.
    gonna check out the vid once get back from doge walking, cheers. :)

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Np Goldie!
    I get no stuttering whatsoever, nice and smooth just like all the games that i play.

19. jimdove

jimdove Master Guru

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    totally restarted from the progress i made in the beta, but now SOL is accessible I feel the urge to get to sol before i start playing properly. Pretty hard when it put me 80LY or so away in my sidewinder, and the map don't let you let a route that far. I assume we can do this buy setting a lot of waypoints throughout various sectors?

Also, is AA bugged? no matter which one I select in game it still looks "off" and very noticeable since theres so many straight edges in the game.

20. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34

80LY is nothing in this game. The route planner may not work for that distance, but its not too tough or time consuming o plan out your own route. For the longest time you couldn't even plot a routethrough the galaxy map like you can now, so at least they got this in there for release.

As for AA, there is no way I've found that will remove the *jaggedness* of some of the lines in this game.. You may be able to mitigate it somewhat, but I think its the engine itself that makes it so..