Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JonasBeckman, Nov 6, 2012.

1. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Not that I was surprised, but it is amazing how much more enjoyable It became to play ED with hotas.

I was always going to get setup with it with both ED and SC in development, but it makes it much more immersive and gives a much better depth of control. Landing and taking off for instance is vastly easier and trouble free, as an example.

2. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 3080
    What is hotas? Is it a joystick, a button on a joystick or something?

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Had an old Logitech extreme snap in my hand while playing Falcon 4 years ago.
    It was alright for what it was however it was very cheap.

HonouredShadow.

HOTAS (Hands on throttle and stick).

An old but informative piece of information over at the infamous SimHQ website.
    http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_094a.html

The holy grail is the Thrustmaster HOTAS but is very expensive and needs modifications because default Gimballs are weak. Once modded its one of the best you can get and is made of Die cast metal. The most comfortable stick i have ever held is the MSFFB2.

Pop over to any enthusiast Flight sim forum and you find that this stick is very highly respected as one of the best.

I use mine in combination with a CH Throttle. I used to have a CH Fighterstick but sold that because it felt uncomfortable. I also had the Logitech G940 but developed Deadzone issues and the buttons felt flimsy. The Forcefeedback didnt work as well either as the MSFFB2.

They all have pros and cons and its about searching for what suits you and the size of your hand as they all vary insize. Some are suited to table use and some are suited to Between your legs use in a lower mounted position. The CH sticks are better suited to this position and are not that good on a table.

The ED flight model is quite sophisticated especially with flight assist "off".
    You can do things with ahotas that you simply cannot do with a Joypad or Mouse/Keyboard. Also creates more immersion.

I would also recommend Voice control and Track IR which is also what i use, adds massively to immersion. You can get a cheaper version called freetrack but you would have to look into that is know very little about it.

Saitek vs CH HOTAS....i dont really need to listen to this guy as i know enough about HOTAS as i been using them for years but this is a nice compartive which i actually agree with.

Voice attack.

Newsletter 51
    Contents this week

Newsletter Peek of the Week
    Gamma Available Now!
    Pre-Order and Play now - Single Player Combat Training Demo
    Elite: Dangerous Boxed Edition
    'Black Friday' Paint Job Offer
    Elite: Dangerous iOS Companion App
    Elite: Dangerous Affiliate Program
    The Elite: Dangerous Premiere Event
    Comms Chatter

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=3e8912d873&e=47e28f4c6f

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  4. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 3080
    Thanks very much for the info. Will have a look through now!

5. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Had my x52 around 10 years its an awesome piece of kit but very expensive well over £200 back then.

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    On the contrary I found the x52 extremely affordable compared to other joysticks.. I find the value to be very good for what you get.. Its a great *middle of the road* priced joystick and throttle that is of high quality and function.

I definitely impressed with mine at least.

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    State of the Games: Star Citizen & Elite: Dangerous - October 2014

8. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    For anyone who is interested in this game and want to see what it is, here is a long video showing a lot of stuff inside of Elite...

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I think they are holding on to some stuff for the 16th December. I think there will be a few surprises. Making some adjustments today to my HOTAS and Voice attack so im ready for the games release :)

10. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Really? I thought Gamma was supposed to be feature/content complete and the remainder between then and retail would be bug/performance fixes, I was surprised when I saw how minimal and perfunctory most aspects of the game were with Gamma :(

11. Bond!JamesBond!

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    I was surprised when I saw how minimal and perfunctory most aspects of the game were with Gamma

What do you mean?
    Could you explain?

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Wtf does perfunctory mean lol

13. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/perfunctory

For example the mining, extremely basic and simplified, and a dev acknowledged as such.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=65760

Most of the game is like that, it feels more like a proof of concept rather than a fully fleshed out game ready to go retail.

Plenty of threads/posts from people on the official forums stating similar things.

TBH I'm already a bit bored with it due to the lack of structure/content/story/missions/campaign etc. etc. plus knowing there'll be another wipe on the 16th for the "retail" release I will probably put it aside and not play it for some time.

14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Unfortunately this is very much the case. I have been active on the Frontier forums recently and many users bring up a lot of great but troubling points surrounding the state of the game.

I could rattle off a long list of issues right now, but I'll save you all the trouble of reading a long list.

Most crippling issues though that I can see with release, as a sum up:

- Multiplayer? There is no actual in game chat that makes any sense.. you can chat to another player only if you're pointing your ship right at them.. not global multiplayer chat within the game at all.. I don't understand how they can be in gamma without this critical function already built in.

- Universe still feels very very empty. Aside from some USS you can scan for, exploration, which is very "perfunctory", and no other anomalies or aliens or anything else ANYwhere in the universe, and with every system looking more or less the same, the game can get old pretty quick.

- Still finding issues with Interdiction happening way too often, bugs in the game in general with factions, bulletin board etc.

I haven't even mentioned Offline which is a game-breaker for many.

I dunno. I'm still glad that I got in for Beta because I have enjoyed the game, but clearly they are releasing an unfinished game and will have to put in quite a bit of work after release.

15. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Basically what I'm at as well.

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Well i havent played the game since Alpha, infact the only game ive played in the last 3 months is Fc4.

Anyhow i do agree with some of the points you have made, however once the bugs are sorted for the initial release and stuff its the added content which will allow the game to really come together.

I wont be playing until the 16th, there is alot more stuff to come.
    Saying that i will be happy to play it as it is as its just like games of old but new graphics and sound without the newtonian physics.

There are alot of things that are not in the game yet that was in the old games so i know there is alot more to come. The game release is just the start.

17. Bond!JamesBond!

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    I don't know, i love it so far.

Only thing i think they need, is more ports and hubs that look different. But they must have taken a lot of work to make, so maybe more in the future.

As far as systems looking the same, i disagree. I have jumped to many, many systems and they seem different. I have seen a lot of planets of different color and size.
    all kinds of star types and they did a fantastic job on planets..They look very good.

Ship combat is good stuff, seems very well done.. With depth..

I don't see what is that bad with mining. But it's not the greatest thing for excitement anyway. It doesn't seem shallow to me.

The Galaxy map, is one of the, if not the best map iv'e seen in a game.

They are going to add lots more stuff later anyway.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It doesn't feel right that they are releasing the game in clearly incomplete form and call it something else than alpha. If the game doesn't take off (I'm pretty sure that few people expect more from game that's supposed to be "ready"), they may just stop developing it further. I don't know what they are doing but I doubt that they are developing multiple things at once which makes me doubt if they ever reach the goal.

19. Bond!JamesBond!

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Whats incomplete?

The state of the game or the amount of content?

20. Bond!JamesBond!

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080

Scan the area for ships that are close to you, and keep your distance. also look at the direction they are going and go the other way, it works. You will have lot less of them interdiction's.:)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014