Elder Scrolls Online

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Major Melchett, May 3, 2012.

1. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
  2. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Yeah, the 1% of us that care about honesty do. Remind me to never have a business transaction with any of you. :stewpid:

3. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme
    You don't need need WoW numbers to be successful. WoW is the exception to the rule, not the other way around. There will likely never be a western mmo with that many subs seen again in an extremely long time. EvE Online is a very successful mmo and it has but a fraction of the subs WoW has.

So many other mmos were made in the WoW mould and failed. Part of the problem was the launch content as you pointed out, however it's not the only problem. Why would WoW players with so much time invested in their characters and gear permanently switch to another game that is just emulating the one they've already played. Also there is no way any thempark mmo dev can have enough content ready at launch for the WoW style of community. The game would have to be in development for 6+ years with hundreds of devs.

With a sandbox structure however the launch content is not as much of an issue.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You need players to have a successful mmo. Otherwise it's dead.

5. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Yes however WoW is not the only mmo with players and just because an mmo doesn't have 10 million players does not mean it is dead or not worth the time. I'd rather play a fresh and different mmo with 500k players than another shallow clone of WoW with millions.

6. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I am just looking forward to travel all those worlds! Still looking forward to it!

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Well, teso will be for you then. It'll still deemed as a failure when it doesn't attract players.

8. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Thats the spirit Eclap, expect worse so you might get a nice surprise in the end :p

9. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    At 3 million and counting Beta applicants there's definitely interest in it. How about waiting until it's been out a year before calling it a failure.... and have a beer of your choice on me to cheer up the doom and gloom while you're at it. ;)

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I've seen enough footage to be turned off before I even try it. Seriously, in this case, I don't even have to play it. But I will give it a fair go and if the beta even remotely interests me, I'll buy it and sub for a month at least. So, I'll give it a chance. but from what I've seen, I fail to see how the game is good.

3m beta applicants is nothing. Silly games like Hearthstone had 5 times that much.

11. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    I hold as much hope for it as you do lol. I've heard nothing but bad feedback about it. I just think Devs/Publishers need to get 10 million subs or bust mentality out of their heads. I mean if EA had taken the SoE route with WAR and supported it. It could have become a really good game and reclaimed some of the subs it lost and added new ones. Such a waste.

The mmos I've got my eye on are Star Citizen and The Repopulation. I think Everquest Next and ArcheAge are interesting as well and Black Desert looks fantastic.

For themeparks though, I expect WildStar to do fairly well.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    no, they don't really need 10m subs.. they need a couple of million and the game will easily survive. The problem is they have WoW to compete with. Hate it or love it, but WoW is now a highly polished game with patches in the hundreds and a metric ton of content. Everything works, game runs super smooth, there's no bugs etc. Sure, it's kinda different to what vanilla WoW used to be, but still, subscription or not, it offers a lot.

About W*, out of all the MMOs that have come out in the last few years, only GW2 showed any promise. GW2 does pretty ok, people come and go, then come back again, you know the drill, it's f2p, it's a nice f2p model, the game is evolving, content is being added, PvP is great etc. W* is the next game that is hailed to be the one. The one to which the big WoW guilds will be switching to. Time will tell. I'm not a 100% convinced yet, but it is showing a lot of promise.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  13. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I am in beta too. Very curious to try.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    see you online mate, although I have a busy weekend ahead, will be nice to see guru's in the beta.

15. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    StarCititzen is an MMO ?

And i'm still undecided with ESO. Might buy it / try a month, depends on the review videos i see. So i'm def not buying it on release day.

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    gonna try out the beta...personally I think it's gonna be a bit lame. but u never know..

17. Smartino

Smartino Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 580
    Also got a betakey for this weekend, interesting was kinda really looking forward to the game right until I found out about the traditional monthly fee, but still willing to give it a try :)

18. Lacusmons

Lacusmons Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Also got beta key. Its going to be interesting weekend :)

19. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Well it kinda is and kinda isn't. It has a full single player campaign but the scope of the multiplayer and persistent galaxy/universe put it in the realm of mmos.

20. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    been having a go and would i subs to this? prob not...

will try some more.