EK Water Block for 6990

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by John Dolan, Apr 6, 2011.

1. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Got the EK block fitted to the 6990 big improvement very quiet pc again and temps vastly improved.

AMD stock cooler the idle temps were 48c and running benchmarks using the fast bios it would top out at 90c now with water block idle temp is 33c and highest so far running heaven is 52c and this is with adding the card to the cpu loop.

https://sites.google.com/site/ayupfromdik/files/6990wc.jpg?attredirects=0&d=1

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Nice! I just jumped the green boat for the red ship.

Ordered my XFX 6990 from SuperBiiz, next day air.

Did you order the EK from EK's web store? Any US retailers?

Yay! 6990
    DOH! 590

I am retiring a GTX295 for a wall hanger since its BFG. RIP

Have you tested that red beast yet on that sexy H2O block?
    900+MHz :banana:

3. General Stalin

General Stalin Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD6990
    Exactly what I plan on getting. Where did you order the block from and how much did it run you?

4. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    183 US from EKs web shop.

They charge 26 bones for 3 day shipping.

5. rp3589

rp3589 Member

GPU:
    XFX 6990 950/1420
    I was gonna hit the button this morning but decided I am gonna wait till performance gets it with the back plate . I've already paid insanely for shipping things 3-4 different times. Plus it'll be nice to see some reviews.

6. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    I got mine direct from EK store with 2 day delivery with DHL total cost was about £150.

They take 2 days to clear my credit card but when they shipped it did arrive 2 days later.

One problem i had was i ordered 2 of these EK nipple things the tube connect to but they didnt fit correctly to the spacer thing you have to use if fitting the tubes to the underside of the card they simply bottomed out and did not compress the seal.

http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/fitting-3-8-id.html

Also note i use a LIan Li case so the card is inverted in my V2000 so in a normal case my bottom of the card would be your top.

Maybe i just ordered the wrong thing i dont know but do check with EK that you get the correct fittings with yours.

I use 2 old swiftech ones i had in my box of bits that i had to cut the tread down on so they fitted and compressed the seal so.

I paid extra for the nickel version but dont know if the performance is better than the standard version or not all i can say is very happy with the build quality and performance of it.

This is the version i got

http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/ek-fc6990-acetal-nickel.html

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  7. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    does look nice :)

imo gfx makers aint too bothered if their cards dont last longer than 3 years as thats after the warranty period and aint their problem anymore, thats why i think they skimping on cooling performance these days, ie the VRM's blowing on the 590's etc, cards just dont seem to last as long these days.

this is the first thing i would do personally if i had a water loop,

8. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Ive turned my fan speeds down on my rad and the pc is near silent now and still got good temps.

Ran prim and cpu hit max 60c on the hottest core and that's with my 2600k @ 4.5 gig and the rad fans running slow and silent then ran 3dmark 11 and gpu maxed at 53c.

On stock air cooler the 6990 sounded like hair dryer and did 48c idle and 90c load im a very happy gamer right now.

9. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Got he 6990 over clocked a little now core is at 930 ram 1500 ran a few benchmarks

Heaven 2 scored avg 89.2 with a highest of 205 and a lowest of 42.2

3dmark11 scored P10694 3DMarks

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/984442

10. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Nice!

I should get mine tomorrow and the block Monday or Tuesday.

Yay!

11. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    let us know how you get on with it.:)

12. TheAquanox

TheAquanox Member

GPU:
    HD 7990
    Sorry for the ultra n00b question but how does that waterblock work?

What kind of cooling system do you need to attach to it?

13. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
  14. Martypants

Martypants Member

GPU:
    Asus Matrix Plat 5870 2Gb
    Really fancying one of these and those temps are impressive, but while having built quite a few rigs, I've never fitted a water block to a gpu before and am nervous about trashing my card.

Was it straight forward to fit or should I squeak for help ?

15. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Beware- EK FC6990 buyers

http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=76&cntnt01origid=15&cntnt01returnid=17

Hi!

The standoffs threads are mismatch. We can send you new ones tomorrow. I apologize for the problem, This clearly is not intentional.
    Best regards, Eddy

I already installed before the advisory was posted and cranked down the standoffs. Was not an easy task a bit messy but my GPU1, GPU2 temps are within 1- 2 C

I'm asking for a replacement block since there was no e- mail sent to me warning me.

After I sent my e- mail about my issue this morning the website was updated with the advisory of the thread mismatch. DOH!

I'm sure EK will be nice to the consumer :nerd:

16. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    EK waterblock are really good, i suggest to peoples want use them to get a MCP655 and a good 360/480 rad for them for take the full of them ( in case you ask ).. Outside the finition this is just the performance who are really good ..

well theirs blocks are just the best, performance wise, you can find actually.

17. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    This would explain why the EK barbs i got with my kits didnt screw down enough to the seal and i had to cut down the threads on a couple of old swiftech barbs.

18. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    EK is sending me a new FC6990 block with the correct hardware and told me to keep the old one. Yay!

19. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    They are sending me the new parts not a new block.Its the chrome spacer that the barbs screw into on mine the barb wouldnt screw down enough to reach the seal so i cut down the threads on 2 old swiftech barbs i had.

20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Thats an odd PC on that picture...