EK Releases New Delta2 TEC for LGA 1700 and Intel 12th Gen Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    rl66 likes this.
  2. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    I remember 15 years ago people where crafting their own peltier setups, funny to see there an off the shelf solution so many years later.

rl66 likes this.
  3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Yep i was one of them...
    But peltier is more a help to cool a CPU.
    For the price you can get liquid cooler system, with integrated pump (replace pump + reservoir + radiator and fans on the loop) and for few more you can reach near 0°c system,
    that are smarter choise, and use less energy to cool your system.

tunejunky likes this.
  4. spine

spine Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp CE + EK WB
    No mention of wattage, but I think I see an 8pin connector there so that's a max of 150w which is just pathetic if you're gunna bother using TECs.
    The key difference is the anti dewpoint monitoring. That alone makes me consider it.

tunejunky likes this.

5. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    There was off the shelves peltier systems 10-15 years ago, but just like today, they where not popular.

The EK TEC kit they made last year was only able to keep a 12900k below ambient during low duration 1-2 core boost speeds, at allcore loads the TEC system is not able to keep up.

Imagine this system on a 250W load, the TEC element needs to be in the 200-300W range too, so a combined 500W power is dumped in the radiator.

tunejunky likes this.
  6. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    This is ok for loads under 180w. Perfect for gaming loads, so it's possible to game with 5.4ghz+ all core with ease on most 12900k. 5-600$ + coustom watercooling, for 1-200mhz more is pretty high. Not even that is guaranteed.

For Rendering loads with all core, using direct die cooling watercooling is much better.

Useless product for most people.

We use waterchiller, to get way better result. Same price :)
    Set 17c watertemp, then play :D

tunejunky likes this.
  7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Trying to find a Water Chiller in Cyprus but its proving very very difficult, i think il need to import one from the UK

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    You can found the same in aquarium shop for artic fish, the only change is that IN / OUT are not in 1/4 but as aquarium tube are the same size as WC tube it's not a big problem...
    Also read how much W can be chilled, the small one (130w, 150w...) are inadapted for computer use.
    If you are in high temp and hydro (as Cyrus due to the sea) don't go too low in temp or water will apear on motherboard due to condensation or cover the board with lagging.

tunejunky likes this.
  9. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Yeah ive looked, all things PC seem to have passed this island by, i get my kit when i go back to the UK, last month i travelled back with £2500 worth of hardware including a 32" monitor ha ha ha.
    Also my house is fully airconditioned and the chiller is as much a project thing than just for cooling the loop

tunejunky likes this.
  10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    While I think a peltier is a decent idea for a liquid cooling system, I think it would actually be better to chill the radiator rather than the CPU. For one thing, this allows all devices on the loop to cool off. But also, water cooled systems are already proving to be insufficient with the high-wattage chips we're getting today, and they don't really need help with removing heat from the processor faster. Dumping heat more quickly into the loop doesn't fix anything. What they need more help with is removing heat from the loop. So, if they could somehow attach the peltier to the radiator, that could accelerate heat dissipation.

barbacot and pegasus1 like this.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Is this true? I went from a quad + triple rad to just a quad and I basically no difference in cooling performance on either the GPU or Processor. I feel like the limiting factor is the ability to get heat off the chips.. which is why changing the thermal paste or delidding a CPU decreases the temperature so much, in comparison to just adding rads or swapping to better fans.

Edit: Thinking more about it, I guess it would depend on your case and how many rads it can support or you're willing to put in, like if someone just has a 240 cooling everything or even a high end CPU and doesn't want to upgrade to a larger rad and/or can't fit it.. then having the cooler on the rad would be more beneficial.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    The peltier reaction cool the most when the heat is the highest, and so on the main source of heat: the CPU.
    On the radiator it would cool less, so the EK's choise is good

13. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    This is interesting and i think is subject to many variables but i see a noticeable drop in component/water temps when i spin my fans up to max in the 360 rad (base) but not in the 240 roof one. So that might suggest its more about removing the energy from the coolant/rad rather than from the component.

14. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    No.
    The bottleneck is getting heat away from the cpu fast enoug. That's why running direct die is working so good on high wattage. It's a reason it's possible to buy direct die cooler to Zen 3 also. Heat has problems to get away from the die fast enoug, so more radiators doesn't help.

I can cool 700w 7980xe with direct die without problem. Non delidded was almost impossible without cold water ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Well, that depends on a lot of factors. The block themselves, reservoir capacity, fan speed, ambient temperature, how the radiators are positioned, etc make a difference. But when you say "basically no difference", what is the time span? As far as I understand, the real way to prove the problem goes as follows:
    Your PC is off for hours and the ambient temperature is 21C. You run Prime95 and Furmark simultaneously.
    A. If within a minute your setup is already thermal throttling, then you're right - the problem is the processors aren't cooling fast enough, and putting the peltier on the block would work better than the radiator.
    B. If the temperature slowly creeps up over the course of an hour (or multiple hours, if you've got enough thermal mass), then that means your loop can't remove the heat fast enough.

If you have a bunch of radiators, a large reservoir, and you're only cooling the CPU, then yes.

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    You are right, the loop is limited on how fast you remove heat from it, it's for that dual loop (one CPU and a second for GPU) is more adapted as GPU generate more heat than CPU and not at the same time.
    On that point, case (avoid down frontal or internal without heat exit cute rad place), fluid logic (heat goe UP only, fast loop or slow loop?) and fans type (rad fan are not the same than case fan) are better than the multiplication of radiator surface.

17. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    This is essentially what a chiller can do.
    Doing like Nizzen describes, cooling the water that runs in the computer loop.
    The chiller itself also has a cold and hot side like a TEC does, so the chiller would have a separate cooling loop, to get rid of the heat.
    A chiller is more efficient then TEC, but the system needs a lot more plumbing, hardware, space, planning and money.
    TEC is also a lot easier to isolate and run below ambient then a full loop with chilled water.

rl66 likes this.
  18. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    The peltier generate heat by cooling the CPU, but is not in the loop and add heat in the loop (it's for that most user give up and just use WC).
    There was pages and pages of peoples writing about peltier or no peltier...
    The idea were good, but for +500$ we have now more economic, reliable, simple solution for everyday use.
    My point is: let peltier for pro use :)

19. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    I really don't know who these are intended for. They don't have enough wattage headroom for serious overclocking. They need to make one that can handle about 300-350w.

20. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    It is a matter of cost and practicality.
    A 13900k is rumored to already use 300W when not power limited, so a 300W TEC is already barely enough for OC.
    Also 600W for the CPU and TEC, plus a 500-600W GPU on top of that, would be a bit crazy.