EK Openly Apologizes about Supremacy EVO Threadripper Edition Mistake

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Thank you for the info :)

I have EK threadripper block on my 1950x.

Love from Norway

3. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    nowhting?

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I don't get it - what exactly did they do wrong?

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Their original threadripper CPU blocks barely covered all the cores, the fin area wasn't large enough (you can see the difference in the pictures of the article). The performance was significantly worse than competitor blocks.

https://images.hardocp.com/images/articles/151460117490s2ycebe7_1_1.png

I don't know why they designed it that way in the first place but I think they are handling it well.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm surprised it makes that much of a difference. But considering the product wasn't faulty (just simply "sub-par") I would definitely agree they are handling it very well.

7. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    It was faulty(inferior) in that it did not do what those buying it expected. But yes, they are handling it as they should.

8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It's nice that they're owning up to their failures and trying to make up for it. I didn't really know how it compared to the competition, and simply assumed EK would make a good product (guess I was wrong). I've contacted EK about a coupon, as I bought the block in August.

To be frank, I didn't notice overly high temps on my system (running 24/7, computing on all cores), but I don't overclock or do anything extreme. Maybe on my next major overhaul I'll think about replacing the block.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Even HSF designed for threadripper compared to normal versions on those Noctua heatsinks made a significant difference; normal versions didn't cover all the cores.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    So wait, they design them and then never test them? How did this get to market?

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm sure they did. It's not like their design didn't work, it just wasn't as efficient as it could be. I guess EK just underestimated the importance of taking advantage of TR's entire surface area. After all, there are higher-wattage CPUs than the 1950X with significantly smaller dies, so if I were them I'd also assume "meh, we probably don't have to cover the whole thing".

12. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    They may have felt rushed to get something out, which by no means is a correct thing to do if so. They are trying to make amends, hopefully not too many were troubled by the fault.

13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The block actually does cover the entire IHS, it's just that the fin area inside the block is too small. They most likely just adapted their existing line with a bigger contact area, thinking that would suffice. I think they failed to realize that the design of TR is significantly different from any other CPU and/or didn't want to spend the money on a redesign.

As an avid EK customer (my rads, pumps, fittings and blocks, both CPU and GPU, are from EK) I can't help but be a bit disappointed. Then again, I didn't really know there was a problem until this apology was made (never looked at any comparisons before). Probably won't affect my relationship with the company, but I'll definitely take a closer look at the performance of their products in the future.

14. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Sadly this has been expected, they simply screwed design of this block and who bought this block usually replaced this block for Bykski or Heatkiller or XSPC which is cheaper and better than this block from EK

Best block for ThreadRipper are XSPC, Heatkiller or Bykski

Personally I have run their EVO block on my X99 5960x and replaced for Aquacomputer Kryos NEXT with which I have gained around 6°C on PKG

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

15. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    they were indeed rushing to push out a TR block & did not revamp the channels within...just sort of crammed the existing AM4 design inside & hoped the block would dissipate enough heat by virtue of the blocks mass, it seems

over the years, EK has been intermittently plagued with QC problems & some questionable cost-saving measures that give their customers the short end of the stick. that being said, their official responses have improved massively. giving out replacement plates & partial refunds is a very solid move towards banking good will.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    This shows basically the internals of the cooler which lets you understand why it performs so badly for Threadripper.

schmidtbag likes this.
  17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I'm glad that they admitted their mistakes and they are fixing it at no additional cost to the customer. Nice job guys.

18. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    yikes. the guys @[H] are absolutely eviscerating EK over this. i dont recall them reacting like this when the EK AIO units were leaking, or had defective pumps...maybe my memory is just fuzzy. anyway seems like they feel the PR response is less "good will" & more "lip service"