Eight new Spectre Variant Vulnerabilities for Intel Discovered - four of them critical

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 3, 2018.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Even if they do break past security for the everyday Joe, there are over a billion average Joes wordwide. All the other Joes would be alerted far in advance. I still havent installed the CPU microcode bios update available for my chip due to that. I will wait until millions are complaining that their lives have been upturned before I do this.

airbud7 and Robbo9999 like this.
  2. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Just saying that proves your worth....

Anyone talking about the NSA in any form on a computer being bias toward a particular brand is simply hysterical in and of its own..

You're on the internet.............enough said!!

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Sure, Intel will give you back in the form of a new CPU and chipset generation that you can buy for the full price. Your old mobo will be no good even if you just wanted to switch to a new, more secure CPU. Intel even tries to make sure you absolutely and objectively know what you are buying by only sending review sample CPUs to rubber stamp review sites on their payroll.

AsiJu, carnivore and Dragondale13 like this.
  4. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Yessir..... Same here!!

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sorry , i just had to post this lol ...

[​IMG]

HitokiriX likes this.
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If you want botnet, then this is gold mine. Secondly who's to say that unpatched workstations in corporations are not going to be part of botnets. They will. So it is free bonus, they'll just pull IP address list of infected systems and match it with mask of targeted corporation... instant profit.

chispy likes this.
  7. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Don't worry folks INTEL will just hire more AMD workers like the 3-4 they have in the last 2-3 months. Add in their usual monopoly tactics and they will be back in business!

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    HonoredShadow likes this.
  8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Botnets can be a serious threat. But mostly to people with little to no PC skills. Pretty sure most of us here can detect it on our systems and with proper AV or anti-malware programs deal with them quickly. So not too worried about that. AV companies usually discover them before they've spread too far and wide. Not been a victim of a botnet so far. Secondly, dont see how these Spectre vulnerabilities could be used to generate botnets (although I presume botnets can be made to target them).

9. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    +1
    "The truth is an offense, but not a sin" - Bob Marley
    "The truth is the truth, even if you're in a minority of one" - Mahatma Gandhi

10. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    At this rate cpus will be useless soon. More holes than a second hand dart board.

chispy likes this.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I guess succeeding models will only be making up the performance losses at this rate?!

12. D3Master

D3Master Member

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
    Browsers have had to fix those as well. It is sort of a set of containers (websites in this case) that is supposed to be isolated from the host sensitive data, just like VMs, and that isolation simply breaks down on Spectre/Meltdown. So, assuming you are reading this with a browser, you should care about them.

13. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    A browser doesn't run raw machine code, like an executable in the VM. It runs JavaScript, which can not run arbitrary machine code designed to exploit these vulnerabilities.
    You can't simply "access a CPU register" or "memory location" with JS ... browsers are not vulnerable to these ones, and have never been ( unless the browser maker INTENTIONALLY puts the exploit in their code, which would be completely ridiculous )

Yes, I agree, in corporate/datacenter/virtualization environments.. these are a problem. But for home user patching these is just "free" loss of performance for no actual benefit.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    if they have not been made public yet why is there news about... this ridiculous the people/companies need to stop "leaking" this stuff I still have yet to use Microcode update to last one, more microcodes to come? more to hit the performances?

I expect in next month we will seeing AMD affliction of this am I the only one that find it strange all these security flaws are being "outed"

15. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Good that Intel doesn't make operating systems, Microsoft is patching their own for years now and they still did not finish, Intels would generate more holes than the amount of patches possible to load on 1 PC in 1 day

16. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    INTEL will announce buy one CPU get one for FREE! Fine print will be because you need a separate CPU do run the millions of patches on the original CPU.

17. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Would be nice to have utility that would disable/uninstall/prevent to install all these security fixes at once permamently.

18. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 560D
    I haven't heard of anyone being affected by Spectre or the other one. Maybe I'm not looking too hard into it or maybe it's an overblown issue

19. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well I enabled "Strict Site Isolation" in Google Chrome browser when I first heard about Spectre/Meltdown, so that's another layer of protection:
    https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/7623121?hl=en-GB
    https://www.chromium.org/Home/chromium-security/site-isolation

20. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    InSpectre does this:
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/download-inspectre.html
    You click on the Enable/Disable buttons for Meltdown & Spectre to turn them on or off - it requires a PC restart to take effect.

airbud7 likes this.