1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EGS and the Future of Steam

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

19 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. No... Steam or die!

25 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

19 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    So with Borderlands 3 being released next week I finally had reason to install EGS. So much quicker than Steam, installed and was opened in seconds, was able to link it to my Google account so didn;t have to faff around setting up passwords and new logins, was able to buy the game and then pay using my Amazon account so again didn't have to faff around putting in billing details CC numbers etc. I managed to install the store front and buy the game from never having had the store front ever installed in the time it took Steam to log in and open it's store page.

So much complaining about the Store but so far it's done what I needed it to do and it seems to have done it quicker and easier than Steam has ever managed.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Of course it is quicker than steam
    it has no account validation
    no 2fa
    doesn't support 10% of the features steam does.

EGS is goin to be the best credit card hack in history, i bet they aren't even using proper password salting.

Kolt and cerebus23 like this.
  3. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 970 SC
    they have less than 10% on features. the important thing is, EGS is forcing me to install the app
    no matter my opinion\reflection, if i wanna play "game x" on its release. that's the main reason
    EGS is dead to me, and probably to others as well. no matter the features they will offer, they will never see a dime on my part.

those exclusives are the opposite of healthy competition.

Backstabak and Kolt like this.
  4. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    To be fair everything is quicker than Steam.... I could actually get Steam from water quicker than it takes Steam to open.

Fair enough, does it allow me to buy games, does it let me run them. That's all I care about, Steam is in serious need of a light version or at least some customization feature that allows folks to cut out all the non sense they don;t want or need.

Uh huh and Steam has never ever done that now has it?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    While my initial issues with Epic was the forced exclusivity, mostly with how it was handled with Metro.
    My main issue is not so much with the platform. Yes, I still strongly dislike the practice of exclusivity to attempt to force people to use your platform.

Instead of winning customer favor with a solid, strong and versatile option, lets just force them in... yay.

BUT, my main problem... is Tim Sweeney.
    His pompous, smug and condescending attitude towards almost everyone about the EGS is extremely off putting. For each time he made some statement about how they were the best thing for the platform, how they were saving PC gaming... but gamers didn't understand. He did more damage then good. He's one of those people who should not be allowed on twitter.

I don't care about additional stores. I already use Steam, GoG, Origin, UPlay, Win10 store... and I've got titles through battle.net and Bethesda.net. Another store is not an issue.
    I would use Epic's platform if they approached it differently, and could shut up the prattling mouth piece in charge of everything.
    I'm not saying there aren't people like that behind Steam. But, the difference... they aren't on twitter ever other day defending themselves (which, lets face it... that's what Tim is doing. Defending himself, not EGS) and just looking ignorant and out of touch while doing it.

I'm not going to say I'll never support anything from Epic. Because, Unreal powers a lot of games I play.
    But, if Epic really want to get past the upset and controversy they caused with their exclusivity practice... they need to just shut up. Put the effort into the store, and let the work speak for itself.
    They have the money, just hire a team to build and develop the store, that that is their sole purpose.
    The more you try to defend yourself, the more guilty you look.

Kolt and spajdrik like this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

Origin is slower than steam.
    actually steams slowness isn't even steams fault, its due to Windows Defender scanning every damn steam file at start, you can speed up steam startups and updates atleast double by excluding the steam directory from defender.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I just checked them all and this Steam is not as slow as a remember.

Steam 8 secs
    Origin 14 secs
    UPlay 16 secs
    EGS 11 secs
    Xbox 6 secs

At the moment i don't even have any games installed via Origin or Uplay, and those two are by far the slowest.
    I have 7 games on Steam, one on EGS and 9 on the Xbox app.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Do you have Steam excluded in your AV/Defender? this can shave more time off.

9. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    No, but i have no issue with 8 seconds.

Kolt likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i wouldn't either, actually its probably only needed when started from a hdd.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    EGS has 2FA... via E-Mail or App.

12. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Since i'm wasting some time until the UFC starts, and i was installing new GPU drivers i thought i would test the DD stores in offline mode, and got very different results.

Steam - Online 8 secs - Offline 17 secs (Needs user confirmation to start in offline mode)
    Origin - Online 14 secs - Offline 12 secs (Needs you to retype your password, and this is included in the 12 seconds, so this time may go up or down depending on your password and typing speed)
    UPlay - Online 16 secs - Offline 13 secs (No user confirmation needed, but it needs to be set to always start in offline mode)
    EGS - Online 11 secs - Offline 7 secs (Needs user confirmation to start in offline mode)
    Xbox - Online 6 secs - Offline 19 secs (Does not need user confirmation to start in offline mode)

The XBox app is good as it switches automatically, but like Steam is just does nothing for 10seconds plus.
    EGS gets quicker and only needs a single skip sign in step, so that is good.

Origin gets quicker but is a pita as it makes you type your password, and uplay's solution is ok but at best.

13. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    No one gonna check GOG?

I did a boot check for all the DD services around 4 or so years ago, chances are the post may still be in these forums somewhere. Steam, Origin, Uplay and Steam was far and away the slowest. I would recheck this now but I have no reason to install Origin or Uplay.

However checking EGS, GOG and Steam guess which one is the slowest?

14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I would, but i have never had any reason to use GOG so don't have it installed.

I'm guessing GOG is the quickest and based on what i've saw i would say EGS is the slowest.

Basing this on you using online mode for all three and not offline..

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That's funny - I've been using Google Authenticator as 2FA for my Epic account since day one - which, BTW, I like a hell of a lot more than Steam Guard. Like my games, I like all my 2FA codes under one app and dislike how Steam is forcing me to use their own.

I also find the latter comment hilarious consider the recent Steam security bug debacle.

Redemption80 and TheDeeGee like this.

16. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    I've been leaning towards GOG as of late. I like supporting them when I can. :)

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Mechwarrior 5 merc might be first game i actual buy from epic store it been long time since i played a good mechwarrior game last one i actual got was from when MS owned the rights, Then again by time i actual do buy it after it been released it will probably be year old and on steam. and I will just get it there.

The first game I bought from GoG was the Spacequest collection. most my collection from GoG and Epic store at this point came from free games, I might by more games from gog if i can find away around the crossboarder fee,

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Steam is quick as long as you have it installed on sdd and most games as well, otherwise it scans through disks for games and takes a while..

edit: when I had steam installer on hdd it took 15-20sec+, now 2-4sec, 50% games are now on ssd too.

And i still wouldn't use epic anymore, not after all those breaches and hacks.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    its a never ending thing with breaches and hacks, I only recreated my epic account cause my original account used email that wasn't valid as such i could never log in to it, and since recreating it I just log twice month for free game i have yet to even install it.

I preference to steam is simple i have 100+ game there half of those game i bought other half i got free and 80% of the ones i bought i still have yet to install and play, same for game i got free. I just recent broke down and install the GoG client just for easier access to the game i have there.

I really not into this digital store/client for ever publisher under sun I see happening

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I don't think you understand what a local exploit is and why they aren't more than medium on a security rating. lol.

ok, so thats good.

what about the proper password salting?

Steam has a file verification check built into the startup that ensures the integrity of the application.

This is what is significantly impacted by Windows Defender or other AV interaction, the realtime protection raises the response time of the steam process on a HDD and delays start. It also has some impact on how long updates take.

Steam is the only application that has a forced integrity check (but can be switched off with a command line)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019