1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EGS and the Future of Steam

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

19 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. No... Steam or die!

25 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

19 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I have to protest: The GameBoy was pretty sweet. Loved it, killed my first set of batteries before I got home (we drove to Germany to buy it because it wasn't available by then in Austria).

2. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Haha, good old days... Agreed, but you do get my point.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. Software Junkie

Software Junkie Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI SC2
    Sinclair ZX Spectrum for me. Manic Miner never had micro transactions!

4. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 970 SC
    fun fact. just a thought that came to my mind.

as consumers we are now debating w\e the shares in % that developers gets from Steam is considered low, fair, ok\not ok.

are we doing it on daily basis when we buy other stuff ? is this issue ( as consumers ) should be ours to worry about ?

did Steam ever made developers fall to bankruptcy ? a real question. would like to know if that's the case.

EGS is banned for good im my case. i will never ever use that platform despite the fact
    i can install\uninstall it in 30 sec, its free, its working and so on, simply because they block me
    from playing games on a different library for some period of time.

Backstabak and Kolt like this.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Maybe epic could raise the share they take from sales to be more in line with the industry standard and put that towards developing and running a proper PC Store instead of trying to undercut Steam with a sub par PC Store? I know it's a completely crazy idea.

I found this to be quite funny, basically a developer wanted to sell their game on epic Launcher but were turned away because epic want to focus on exclusives. https://twitter.com/glassbottommeg/status/1156313931285057536

The game itself actually looks like good silly fun, skateboarding as a bird. https://store.steampowered.com/app/971030/SkateBIRD/

6. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Let's understand something real quick.. it's not about the split. It never was. If it was about the split stores like Discord and etc would be talked about more. 30% is pretty standard for a lot of things, gaming or not. The revenue split is what Epic wants everyone to talk about and make it out to be as it's a nice smoke screen to what they really want. I will boldly say that even if Steam was doing the same split we would still be in the same place we are now. Epic wants what Steam has. Period. They feel like they can only achieve that with exclusives. They have a wad of cash and see Steam's business as potential growth to them for little effort. I call BS on them. If you can't innovate and come up with something beneficial to get customers, then don't try entering the ring IMO. Time will certainly tell if their model is successful or not. I like to hope that there are enough people out there voting with their wallets but who knows. We all know the majority of people out there are not leaders but instead are 'followers'.

That's where we are at. Some people see through the smoke and some don't or don't care to. I've been over this topic for a while now and told myself I wouldn't get involved much anymore so I'll leave it there again. I'm pretty sure everything has been said to death at this point anyways lol.

Backstabak likes this.
  7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Given that Steam is considered the leader in this market does it not make sense for them to focus specifically on their split? They could talk day and night about the money other stores take from each sale but I guess that would get a big shoulder shrug and a meh from the community? Going after the big dog not only places focus what they are trying to do but if the big dog changes their approach then how long before the others follow, also what kind of marketing win i it if you are the one to make the leader sweat and flinch?

Of course Valve could just call Epic's bluff given that their CEO said they would stop what they are doing if Valve just matched their split. Is it true, is it a smoke screen, I dunno I am a bit more interested in Valve's position on the whole thing but Valves doing what Valve does best, nothing, and will continue doing what Valve does best, nothing right up until it is too late.

8. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    The problem is that the split they are fighting against isn't something completely irrational (imo).. Epic knows that their 88 split isn't really sustainable in the long run. The 30% take is a pretty industry standard, but that's not the point. The point is that if Valve were to lower the cut, would the features on Steam go as well? Would Steam even be able to sustain itself as it is? I might be wrong here, I don't know. I'm all for developers getting more, but not at the cost of the gamer's experience. I'm also no industry expert in revenue, so I only want to speak as a 'gamer' here.. coming from that perspective (mine at least), Epic exclusive games are going to be a worse experience than if it was on just about any other launcher. There's also the political parts of it, but we don't really need to go into details here. The only way to compete against that as a consumer is to just not spend money on that store and to try and convince others that they are making a mistake. We only worry because gaming as whole is trending downward in quality and stuff like this paint a darker picture for the future, or so we believe.

Backstabak likes this.
  9. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    The split is well above what a traditional retail store would take for selling the same game and no doubt goes a long way to explaining why the games sold on Steam are the same price as ones you would buy off the shelf. It's also the same split that Valve has always taken even way back when Steam itself first launched with it's bare bones DD so I am not convinced that Steam would suddenly have to start shutting down vast parts and features of Steam to maintain a lower split. On the flipside Epic has a roadmap showing what features are coming to their store front and they haven't made any statement or suggestion that to provide these they will have to increase the percentage of the split they take. To put it simply I suspect that the reason the amount is what it is is because Valve just like the cash and given that they are the 'market leader' everyone else follows suit.

Of course no one is stepping forward to tell us the actual costs, Valve doesn't even give us the actual figures for game sales so just about everything is us guessing at what we believe is the situation the only figures that I could find stated that Valve made something in the region of $730million dollars last year so I seriously doubt they are going to have to start cutting features from Steam if they adjusted their split... maybe Gabe would have to sprinkle less gold on his fried chicken, but you know what I could live with that!

10. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    The thing is that steam is a market leader not because they do nothing, but because what they do is good. Steam is the platform that basically developed digital distribution into what it is now. They have evolved over the years and expanded too, I don't know why people suggest they produce no new features. They also aren't restrictive, as there are plenty of third party resellers who sell steam keys for cheaper and steam sees nothing out of it.

Now sure, competition is always good and I would welcome it, but EGS doesn't compete with steam or even GoG or those key resellers, because of the exclusives they compete with no one. They pay money they make on their engine and fortnite to buy their way into large marketshare without actually providing a good service to the end customers. Their roadmaps of features and claims of how great they are to the devs is just that, claims, it hasn't materialized. EGS want's to be that huge market leader without doing the work and they try to say how great and benevolent overlords they will be, but we already know how steam is - nonrestrictive with good features. Sure, steam could do better, there could be more features and better suggestions, plus you need to setup some filters to get only games that you need. But it is just a minor inconvenience, especially compared to the anti-consumer approach of EGS exclusives.

cerebus23, Kolt and coc like this.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    RzrTrek likes this.
  12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB ❤ 144hz
  13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    china needs its own thing.

it is communist haven, they have no freedom of anything, and the few times it looks like china curation might effect western games people lost their minds because how strict the com8ies are on wierd stuff like demons and angles and etc, booze and etc are also no go in china.

yea they need their own thing and we need ours and they can be happy.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    5點已從您的社會信用評分中刪除。

Bones, or is it just Skulls? Aren't allowed also from what I understand.

But if the Chinese are sandboxed to their own platform does that mean I won't be able to enjoy Rust video's of Sir Winter fighting Chinese hackers? ...... xD

cerebus23 likes this.
  15. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    most likely yes but then they do not want their people hanging out with us barbaric western beasts either, we might put the wrong ideas in their heads.

16. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I'd say the exact opposite, they need more western influence to stop being that "communist heaven".

But from a point of Valve they are just probably concerned they will get banned and loose a lot of revenue. That's why they will have a separate service that will comply with China's ridiculous demands.

cerebus23 and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    You have no idea what communist heaven would be mate :D

cerebus23 likes this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i would make a joke here, but it would turn the thread political.

lets move away from the communist vs faux democracy topic.

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    RzrTrek likes this.
  20. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    neither do communists they did polling modern "communists" cannot identify communism, and they keep insisting the REAL communism has yet to be tried. lest over here.

and yea china does need something. a kick in the ass at this point to gtfo away from hong kong. facebook/twatter is repressing that story to not offend china.