1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EGS and the Future of Steam

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

14 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. No... Steam or die!

23 vote(s)
    41.8%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

16 vote(s)
    29.1%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    You deliberately portrayed it as an issue that affected a lot of people when there was no indication that it did. Tech journalists were mostly relaying what the issue was (they all refer to the same tweet), but apparently you confused an issue being popular/notorious with it being widespread.

This is not to say that only one person was affected (it's possible that there were others), but to make this out as some kind of widespread issue affecting a lot of people - to the point where someone who did not have an issue buying multiple games was simply lucky - is disingenuous. Epic responded because of all the attention that it was getting (note that they did not say that they would remove or change it, only that people who were affected should contact customer support).

This follows a familiar pattern with the EGS. An isolated issue that affects a few people is considered a serious bug and is seen as a widespread problem. I remember a couple of reddit threads about people who's Epic account was hacked in the past and the EGS quickly got a reputation as an insecure store. On the other hand, a similar thread about Steam did not result in such a response - and rightly so (online stores are always susceptible to the threat of hacking and there are always a few people who fall prey). Any issue with the EGS is magnified a thousand-fold just because of people's hatred for it.

The lack of a shopping cart is indeed a usability issue, but I don't think it would have necessarily been the answer to this particular problem. After all, this feature was implemented to counter hackers - what's to prevent a hacker from adding a whole bunch of games to the cart and checking out? If they had a cart, they would most likely have to implement anti-fraud measures for it as well (which could be just as aggressive).

An aggressive anti-fraud system will always catch a few innocent people. My guess is that Epic may have to consider relaxing some of these rules, although that may make them more susceptible to fraudulent purchases. It's a balancing act between security and convenience.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    EGS is a dumpster fire that will be fueled eternally.

cerebus23 likes this.
  3. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    oh yea because i did not hashtag not everyone got fd i was trying to mislead people, get the f out of here idiot. This is semantic bs argument and your full of it at this point, you got no argument to pull this crap.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    So this has been confirmed as true.

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Well, I didn't buy the first Rune at release.
    Guess I can wait on the second one as well. No big loss.

EDIT: So, THQ Nordic had it's Earnings call... and said Metro Exodus was the biggest launch the company has had.

The game did sell well, but the majority of it's sales were thanks to console sales. While PC didn't do well enough to even garner a mention in the call.

cerebus23 and lucidus like this.
  6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Majority of sales of almost any AAA game will be on console. The PC version was paid off by Epic so it doesn't even matter for THQN or any of the publishers who took their deal. Locking the game away on that awful service for an entire year and the "last minute" drama was too much. I'm glad it was cracked within a week. frack those idiots at THQN.

Edit: Just visited origin's site thanks to that sims giveaway and I noticed they have numerous indies like FTL and pyre along with older big names like arkham city, tomb raider 2013 and ff xv. They also have grid 2. So much for valve being a monopoly lol.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Netherwind likes this.
  7. Cronik

Cronik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Idk how people can vote Yes in the poll.

Epic is very anti-consumer and are literally trying to force people onto their store by offering developers and publishers the opportunity to line there pockets even more.

Also they're basically giving the developers the power to control reviews. Wow....

Sure competition is good but do you really want epic to compete with valve? To add on to it Epic has done absolutely nothing that benefits us, the consumer. There is nothing good about this at all. There needs to be a huge boycott of the epic store. World War Z sold too many copies. But most people don't care. Gaming isn't their hobby. Why even fucking try?

cerebus23 likes this.
  8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    For a game that sold so much, so few give a crap about it. All we know it is a deceptive number just like metro's relative sales and epic guaranteed that level of sales over its period of exclusivity.

cerebus23 likes this.
  9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    EGS fans think that Steam had some kind of monopoly (which they did for some time) but they are too stupid to realize that it's because there was no competition to begin with. I don't understand how it can be so difficult to understand? Origin&Uplay sold their own published games which isn't a direct competitor.

Kolt and cerebus23 like this.
  10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Steam also allows selling via third party sites also reducing this whole monopoly thing compared to Epic although that could end up changing as Epic Games Store continues to improve and add features and for Steam this also means these keys sold on verified sites like Gamesplanet or Greenman give a 100% profit to the developers which seems to be frequently overlooked as well.

Problems from what is leaking out of the closed developer forums seem to be more on Valve being slow to react and hard to contact or get quick answers and updates from though the store itself is well manager even if it takes time for new features and functions to go from concept to beta to full release I guess that's part of the issue with the explosive growth from the last few years plus they keep going back and forth on some stances like initially refusing to curate or block games only to switch and then silently begin blocking titles from earlier this year up to a few dozen by now though many of these are indie erotic content games although there's no concise answer or criteria for what gets blocked.
    (Some really hardcore games pass uncensored, others get DLC for uncensored content and some get blocked having milder content or no adult content at all in some cases.)

Not writing off EGS just yet but that they're struggling with user facing improvements and missed all of the goals for when these would be implemented, sent private user information to the wrong person and fumbled a sale badly in addition to doing a complete turnaround from prior statements on sales is not very good, competing with rival store fronts and not having anywhere near a matching feature set is pretty bad too. (Origin, Uplay and Steam.)

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    cerebus23 and RzrTrek like this.
  12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Another one that was originally promised for Steam.
    This one is very disappointing.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Comments and voting is disabled on the official Rune 2 trailer... good heavens I wonder why.

Kolt, cerebus23 and fantaskarsef like this.
  14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB 144hz
    Damage control at its finest. This is the kind of crap that will upset people. Especially if you pre-ordered the game to get a Steam key.

Kolt and cerebus23 like this.
  15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    There's a reason why developers/publishers will have control over reviews on EGS.

lucidus, angelgraves13, Kolt and 2 others like this.

16. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Let's hope.

17. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    EGS is in it's infancy right now. Sure, Steam offers a lot more features but EGS will catch up with time.

What is wrong with developers getting more of a cut from sales of a product they worked countless hours on btw?

Call it boycott, call it whatever you want, there's a LOT of crybabies all over the internet hating on EGS already.

At the end of the day, it's down to the consumer to choose. We all use multiple launchers already, many already have EGS installed already anyway. Why do you feel the need to boycott EGS?

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    It looks like sh1t.

19. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    EGS: exists

community: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    I'm not complaining really, weekly free games right now. Sure not all of them are up my alley, but free is free. I did play through Subnautica which was awesome!

I'm personally not really affected by any of these stores, as i mainly play older games recently from 1995-2005. Going to start Jurassic Park Trespasser in the weekend for example. New games just don't do it anymore, they're too much of the same.