1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EGS and the Future of Steam

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. No... Steam or die!

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    This really takes the hyperbole cake. The requirement to create an account in the EGS to play a game is not a violation of your rights (to even think so is asinine). Nor is it particularly intrusive, as the only thing required is your name and email (which you can use a throwaway one), and country for regional purposes. You're acting as they require you to scan your passport, send your social security number, submit a blood sample, and swear an oath of allegiance to Tim Sweeney!

Seriously now, you need to stop making mountains out of molehills. Such gross over-exaggerations don't help your case.

2. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    You might personally believe that it is not intrusive and all fine, but the companies do not have a right to my name or email address. So if a company wants my name and email for a third party service, I might not want to provide any information for them and agree to their ToS which limits my use of the game I bought and it is due to the internal change of the publisher that I had no influence over. From the legal point of view there is really not that much difference in the handling of your name and your email address as both are considered your personal information, at least in EU with GDPR.

I see no hyperbole in what I wrote, If the conditions of the use of your game unilaterally change, you have a right to ask for a refund, there is nothing controversial there.

3. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    No you don't. Unless you show me otherwise.

4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Again, you win the hyperbole cake, making it seem like Epic is demanding your personal information (you could put a fake name and a throwaway email account if you want - nobody is demanding that you hand over your real info).

And again, this is contingent on Epic forcing existing Steam users to install the Epic launcher (most likely, Epic just wants the additional revenue that RL will provide to supplement their Fortnite revenue).

You lost this argument a long time ago. You should know when to cut your losses.

5. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Literally the same argument you made the last post, you can just copy and paste it if you have nothing more to say. Again installing 3rd party apps, giving your personal information to a third company and agreeing to another ToS isn't something that everyone agrees to, even though you personally have no problem with it. A good example is that you actually need to provide all those information and consent to them having it, instead of just steam and EGS exchanging it without your knowledge.

And again, you as a customer have infinitely more rights than the company, just because you don't want to use them doesn't mean that they are not there or that other people have the same opinion as you do.

Also just saying "You lost this argument a long time ago. You should know when to cut your losses." doesn't make it so, no matter how much you might wish it.

Sure, you can demand a repair, exchange or refund on any goods that are of unsatisfactory quality or work differently then advertised. So if you buy rocket league on steam and then suddenly you are forced to use EGS, then the product works differently then advertised and you can want a refund.

6. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    words...

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Why are people arguing about something that hasn't happened.

No wonder people are more suicidal than ever these days.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    A room filled with steam users. Do you guys not have EGS accounts?

Lol...

Apparently another game that might be getting yoinked by epic is the reboot of Rune, just read that, I didn't even know there was going to be a reboot... seems it was going to be named Ragnarok but was then renamed as Rune, it is of course being developed by Human Head Studios.... guess we'll see if this is true or not in the future.

*edit*

Another crowd funded game via fig called Outer Wilds that was going to be getting a Steam release seems to have been yoinked with epics exclusivity money.

http://www.mobiusdigitalgames.com/blog/outer-wilds-nearing-the-finish-line

https://store.steampowered.com/app/753640/Outer_Wilds/

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    cerebus23 likes this.
  9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/t2...usive-to-egs-coming-to-steam-later-on.116850/

https://mcvuk.com/take-two-ceo-talk...-by-47-per-cent-and-the-companys-e3-presence/

They need better presentation for this, more choices...so here's this one choice you can use for six months.
    Epic does pay for it so supportive is understandable though.

Anyways Ancestors and Outer Worlds exclusive for six months to EGS...but it might also be one year.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6 months? Interesting. Does TOW have a release date yet (epic and console)? The Pax presentation was terrible, I'll be surprised if they send it out to die this year.

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Thought it was September 10th but that was another game (Gears of War 5) from a number of articles I was reading yesterday, good question but I don't think there's anything more than 2019 so far.

And then it says six months here and then the product store pages say one year which is also conflicting.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/578650/

Planned for 2020 and this.

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I wouldn't pay attention to the steam page right now. Even bethesda didn't update theirs for rage 2 until yesterday (achievements, cloud, denuvo). Things change I guess. Is it actually purchasable on egs?

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    No it just shows "Coming Soon" from what I can see.

And yeah it took a bit back and forth for Bethesda to update the store profile for RAGE 2 on Steam, plus a bit of fiddling with AdultContent=1 and AdultContent=0 which I guess is applied once a certain set of tags are applied and those are user set.

From what I can see of the logged activity via SteamDB at least. Probably the same here and it'll be a while before new info is updated for this title.

lucidus likes this.
  14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Sorry but the CEO's quote reads like this for me personally:
    "We will be on steam! Every sell we will grab, even if it's later on. Just not now, we already get paid. More choices to you, but only after we get our money up first. And yeah, Epic wanted to support their store, so we took the money."
    But that's probably just me interpreting too much. Thanks for sharing though @JonasBeckman

Kolt and lucidus like this.
  15. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Well at this point, we don't have to beta test games for a year before they hit Steam lol

16. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    rune i had that on disk back in the day lol it never ran right dunno what happened to the disk.

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    I never buy games on day 1 anyways. I always wait for a 50% or more sale. Wether that's on EGS or Steam i don't care.

That said for example i own BL2 on Steam, so if i was ever going to buy BL3 it would be on Steam as well. Just to keep the collection together.

If the Masterchief Collection would end up being an EGS exclusive i don't have a problem buying it there, once it goes on a sale ofcourse.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Seems this crowd funding yoinkage by epic is starting to make something happen, this crowd funded game via fig is called Wasteland 3.

At the bottom under "Looking forward to E3!"

"To restate it again: we’re committed to our backer promises, and you can expect the Steam and GOG versions of the game on launch day. No store exclusivity."

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/914

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Kolt likes this.
  19. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I always thought of backing games as a waste of money, doubly so now. Sad that some things that should be taken for granted have to be stated out clearly and even then, nothing is certain. Thanks, Epic.

I'm enjoying my 100% discounts lol.