1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EGS and the Future of Steam

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. No... Steam or die!

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Strangest marketing plan ever...

It did seem like an odd thing to say only 9 copies, I mean..... I'm sure I've seen at least 9 youtubers playing the game, but then maybe they were using free copies given out by the dev to promote the game...

It was only yesterday that I learned Satisfactory did used to be promoted on Steam for a Steam release, so this really is another switcheroony game...

*edit*

Yeah, they must be trolling for attention.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Kolt likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o

Oh they have two step verification now? Thought that was still in the works tbh.

But honestly, there should be a stop to attacking people that do not like EGS / like Steam more / whatever. They might just throw the same implications and accusations (ideological thinking etc) back to you. This discussion is pretty much done actually, since nothing we will read or do will change the minds of those who have it set already, and the situation (Epic's share, Steam's share) doesn't change either... it's just people defending whatever some business does.

I'm surprised people are more likely to go at each other's throats in forums / social media than to actually write a letter / email to steam or epic to have their concerns heard.

Ultimately this thread is dead, and any discussion still going on isn't different from what we all read 30 pages ago.

DocStrangelove and Kolt like this.
  3. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB \ GT1030
    Redemption80 likes this.
  4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They had caused the walking dead final season to be removed after it had been sold on steam and gog so nothing new here from epic. I can't think of many companies buying bad PR though lol. Something, something competition and monopoly.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Keitosha and Kolt like this.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    This is probably going to be a stupid question, but why aren't more studio's putting their own games on the epic launcher by their own volition instead of what is currently happening with epic going out with big money bags to try to force games off other platforms / trying to have them only for themselves on their own launcher? it's the weirdest situation.

Don't say because epic only allow good games because I will probably die from laughter..

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Epic's throwing around their money. Why would you go to them? Let them come to you and extract the most.

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Ahhhhhhhhh..... now I get it.

8. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Keitosha likes this.
  9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, it's not like Epic's word is worth much. Besides, no announced plans. You should check out the steam page for the game lol. The discussions and reviews are on fire.

The game has workshop support. There's that game changer or whatever to kill it for new buyers unless you buy a leftover key once it is taken down.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Kolt likes this.
  10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Honestly...can they force a complete removal of a game on Steam? I find that really hard to believe. If that's the case then it's going to be anarchy. I mean, how can a publisher revoke a paid-for license? Well, unless Epic would buy my license from Valve and transfer the key to EGS...

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Yes they can , games have disappeared more then you think on steam already. the original prey for instance. not for sale anymore on steam. The removal only counts for new licenses btw, the old licenses still work.
    they can even change content , like with mafia or GTA games when the music license expired they had patches to remove the music.

12. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    My biggest worry is if they force already existing owners on the Steam version to require EGS to run now like Uplay. They won't completely remove the game as we we already own it, but I wonder if they would pull something like that. That would spark a lot of frustration.. I personally would try for a refund even though I've owned the game for so long. By forcing EGS client in the background they would essentially be locking me out of my own game that I've already purchased due to my refusal to use EGS and comply to their new terms. It's a lot different than a game that has uPlay in the background because those have that at the start and is known before the purchase. This would be a new term and requirement that suddenly popped up years down the road way after money exchanged hands. Only speculating here.. but I assume that would cause quite an uproar and would bring a lot of legal 'confusion'.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    I can believe it. Rocket League is built around Steam completely, they would almost have to redo the MP infrastructure.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's epic so they may try it, who knows. I think they just want more microtransaction money for the time being. I played it years ago when there was buzz around the game and found it to be too luck based but they've added a lot of f2p elements over the years it seems.

Funny, build your game around steam for years and then use the active community as leverage to sell out to an entity like epic. frack the studio's execs. Glad I didn't keep the game all those years ago.

15. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I play the game from time to time locally with some buddies.. I haven't touched it in a while, but I'm dreading the day we all decide to play and I get prompted for an EGS account... I think they need to leave it be as it is. Hopefully at least :/

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What a terrible precedent that would set. Not even your already purchased games are safe from those creeps.

Since I have disabled the anti review bombing stuff, the score has dropped like a rock. 95 or 96% life time approval down to 90% and recent reviews are at 45%. I can sympathize with these people, after all they're all owners of the game and the status of their purchase is up in the air.

17. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB \ GT1030
    Imagine Epic buying the rights to Half-Life/CS (1.6/source/GO) and it being removed from Steam. :p

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Plenty of games have been removed from Steam in the past due to ownership changes.

Wolfenstein 2009 for example isn't even available anymore as a digital download, that's far worse than having to switch clients.

19. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    They would not be locking you out of anything. It would be you locking yourself out. Also, directly from Rocket League EULA

TheDeeGee likes this.
  20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yup. Refusing to buy from a certain store does not mean that store is locking you out (that's some twisted logic right there).

TheDeeGee likes this.