1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EGS and the Future of Steam

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

14 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. No... Steam or die!

23 vote(s)
    41.8%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

16 vote(s)
    29.1%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    So it seems we are getting more and more exclusives to the EGS. The Sinking City and Detroit: Become Human will be exclusive for at least a year to the EGS.

At this point...what's a PC gamer to do? Buy half their games on Steam and the other half on EGS or just wait for at least a year for these timed exclusives?

I also had a crazy dream that Epic bought Valve and was merging Steam with the EGS. Wait...maybe that was a nightmare?

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Play it now, buy it later :p

SSJBillClinton and Dragam1337 like this.
  3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    We've actually been discussing this in the PCMR discord lol

One issue I think people need to stop doing, is thinking of Epic Game Store as a negative thing. This is exactly what gamers have been asking for years, a choice on platform. Now reasons for this possibly, I can't speak for anyone instead I can only give my opinion on why I think this is.
    • Relating Epic to Fortnite, and typically the PCMR community and others tend to think very low of Fortnite.
    • They are so invested in Steam that to them there is no other choice.
    A lot of what I am seeing now, is Epic being anti-consumer. Which I am going to argue they are far from being anti-consumer.

1. Yes, Epic paying devs for 1 year exclusive seems along these lines. But a lot of smaller developers Epic is approaching with this deal can't survive without the money. They have employees and other expenses to pay for.
    2. The Epic Store has no features, which let's be real when Steam launched how many features did Steam have? How long did it take Valve to fix some issues in Steam? Steam is I think near 15 years old? Not even 1/4th of the features were on Steam in launch.
    3. This argument I've seen kind of makes me mad, but people are legit upset that Epic takes less from a developer than Valve does in sales. Really?! This seems like nippicking to me. A developer gets less taken from them, while maximizing their product and then offering more in the future hopefully thanks to less capital taken from distribution. If you find this as a bad thing, then you really need to calm down a second.
    So let's take Steam out of the picture here, what else are we left with? Origin, Battlenet, UPlay, UWP, Bethesda launcher, and I'm sure there are a couple more smaller ones. Origin has really picked up in terms of quality and features(EA as a company is a totally different story), Battlenet has only a handful of games, Uplay is getting better, UWP has had it's issue but overall is not a horrible platform and actually is the one distribution method that does not need a launcher to run, and Bethesda Launcher? Oof, don't get me started on that lol. But out of these collections of digital games, UWP is the next best thing to Steam in features(maybe not game count). Reliability on these launchers though, still not the greatest.

Epic store is growing, and Epic has released a roadmap of features to be added.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/epic-games-...p-includes-achievements-cloud-saves-and-more/

Let's also not forget what Epic is investing in the community. $100m in grants, smaller developers, access to the Unreal Engine and benefits for doing so? Yes Valve has some a lot of work for Linux gaming, but let's be real the affect on that is very limited.

One very important thing people need to remember as well regarding how some people are reacting to developers taking exclusive rights to EGS, Developers owe nothing to Valve, and Valve does not own the developers. It is their product to do with what they want to do how they see fit.

We should welcome competition, we should welcome choice. Not degrade a company with the resources to become the competition we need.

Carfax, mohiuddin and XenthorX like this.
  4. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I guess all future UE4 games will be exclusives. Oh well...

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I wouldn't be so angry about it all if the few games I was looking forward to actually purchasing this year had their release date pushed back a full year because epic threw fortnight money to stop those games from being available on Steam.

6. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Well I did pre-purchase "Close to the Sun" on EGS because it's an exclusive and not a timed exclusive. No info on release though.

7. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC

No, we don't need to stop viewing what they are doing as negative, it is negative.

You may not view it that way, and that is your right, but many others do not share your opinion.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Kolt, -Tj-, Netherwind and 4 others like this.
  8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I guess one way to look at it is the days of delayed releases on PC have returned and go on your merry way.

BangTail likes this.
  9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB 144hz
    As much as I want someone to kick the sleeping giants over at Valve in the ass, the way Epic Games go about it by flushing publishers with cash for timed exclusives is wrong.

I rarely refer to Angry Joe's videos, but he did make a good point in his latest video:

"[valve] are not reacting at all to this, they see all of this happening and yet they still want to keep their percentages at these insane levels"...

Keitosha, Kolt, INSTG8R and 1 other person like this.
  10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Well its time for steam to respond.

Steam needs to cut its rates 20 some etc % for the features and convenience steam offers seems more competitive and steam will hardly go hungry.

Or steam needs to throw its cash around and lock games to its store.

I think i rather have steam take the high road than wallow around in the mud with epic at this point.

Steam is fully capable of reacting in some way though. There just better ways to react and worse.

Kolt, Dragam1337 and BangTail like this.

11. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, same here, if this is going to happen regardless, let's get it on and see who is left standing.

[​IMG]

Kolt, Dragam1337 and cerebus23 like this.
  12. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    At the end of the day, once cloud saves are up and running, the only real difference comes down to clicking the 3rd or the 4th button on my start menu.
    Software exclusivity is pretty far down on my list of things to care about really.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    While I agree yes that is purely an opinion, as pretty much most of my post was just me giving my thoughts on it, I understand people will not share that same opinion or view. But to me personally, I fail to see how something like this is damaging other than "It is negative."

14. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I don't know why anyone would support a man (or a company) who acts as if we exist simply to make him richer.

Yah, well, there are plenty of other threads where the reasons it is problematic have been discussed ad nauseam but in a nutshell, exclusivity is bad and trying to force people to use a service that they don't want to use as a result of that exclusivity is even worse.

Conversely, this is not about a 'defense of Steam', like Intel, Steam have become complacent and lazy and they need competition, but what Epic is doing is not competition, it is extremely anti-consumer.

I'm not against a better split for developers, that and many other strawmen are arguments that are continuously used to try and deflect from the real issue(s).

Dragam1337 and INSTG8R like this.
  15. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    I do not care if some titles are exclusive like noone cares the fortnight is exclusive to epic store because that is their game, any more that anyone cares that bethesda is choosing to keep all its related titles on their launcher, ok we grumble about it but noones demanding that release their games on steam.

Its running around buying up 3rd party titles including major ones and the pace of buying up titles is seemingly increasing. This is console behavior brought to the PC sphere. Nerfing xbox to give ps players a leg up or vice versa, now its nerfing it to steam to give a leg up to epic, but steam is the big bad bully on the block so that is ok and the games media props up this behavior steam is a giant, they not in any real danger of going anywhere, tho if they did boy.....

Epic could just buy up studios and have its platform where it releases its games, and everyone would be square with that. EXACTLY what EA does, bethesda is doing, They just did not want to take the time to build up like like they got a pile of cash and just rented their titles. Outright poaching games off other platforms.

There is a big danger in boom times, is that when you get a pile of cash is to overextend like that influx of cash is on going, then when things flatten like they have to do eventually, then you got more expenses then you got profits. Also the added outside pressure of being a golden child of the industry and just doing ok, that devalues stocks, makes investors lean on the executives to produce those boom time profits again.

Maybe epic factored that in i think fortnight had already peaked by the time they rushed this "store" out, maybe the fact fortnight was waning was the reason they rushed a half backed "store" to market and much scorn and scandal in the process as it generated.

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I really don't get the hate either. I've been a Steam user since HL2, and although Steam is my launcher of choice I have no problems using another launcher to play certain games. I mean, of all the controversies that have plagued the AAA gaming scene of late - loot boxes and grindy loot mechanics, always-online DRM, half-finished games - using a different launcher is the least of my worries. If the Epic launcher was an unstable, unusable mess that crashed every five minutes then I can understand, but my experience with it seems fairly straight-forward. People say how vastly inferior it is, but all I really want is to be able to buy and play my games without hassle - the achievements and combined user score is the only thing I miss from Steam.

This seems like moral outrage more than anything else, and yet many of these same people are now advocating for piracy - which I find extremely ironic. It's also encouraging conspiracy theories due to Tencent's involvement in Epic, which is also unhelpful.

I think the recent slew of games going Epic is only the start. If the backlash from Metro Exodus wasn't enough to dissuade other publishers from jumping ship then nothing else will. The ball's in Valve's court now, and I'm hoping they respond favorably. So far, I think they've been hoping the backlash from gamers would stop it, but I don't think that's a winning strategy.

17. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    It's easy.

Wait.

There are plenty of other games.
    And, by waiting the one year for the games to come back to Steam... by the time they release on Steam, they will have been updated and patched. All the birthing pains and launch day issues addressed.
    So, by waiting... those of us sticking with Steam will get the best possible version of the game right out of the gate.

18. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Yeah, but Valve has absolutely NOTHING to counter Epic. Epic has an engine that everyone wants to use. Valve's Source Engine is pretty much crap compared to anything made in the last 5+ years. Nobody wants to touch the Source Engine. It's dead. There's nothing that Valve can bring to the table. They've run out of Steam. Pun intended.

RzrTrek likes this.
  19. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB 144hz
    All of those are fair points and I agree with you. There was a lot of hype about Source 2, but I hardly know of any game other than Dota 2 and Artifact that use it. Also it would be a lie for me not to acknowledge the fact that the Unreal Engine itself is a great free tool and is powering a majority of my favorites games, but on another note, my nerd rage will reach lvl 2 if Activision decide to release the Spyro Reignited Trilogy exclusively on the Epic Game Store.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  20. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Epic having a solid game engine to license out... doesn't mean anything in regards to their ability to run and maintain a good, secure online digital game store.

Valve has everything to counter Epic with in this, where it counts. With Steam.
    Game engines won't do anything here. If Valve can make the proper adjustments to it's revenue sharing, and "win back" (because they won't try to buy them like Epic did) promising developers and titles.
    There's a reason Epic are using such low tactics, it's all they have.

Epic just want what Valve have, and instead of earning it by being as good or better... They are trying to cut corners, by forcing consumers with exclusives. And then acting offended when consumers react.

SameOldx2, Kolt and BangTail like this.