eFX Shader Injector Support Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Crosire, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Crosire

Crosire Member Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes, server was shut down, so the site dissapeared as well, sorry about that.

Happens, some games load the library for strange reasons and so eFX hooks it, even though it is never actually used.
    The exception is a different issue, hard to tell what it is exactly. It's an D3D9 title, so you should be able to run InjectSMAA (default SweetFX injector) just fine, eFX doesn't like that game for some reason.

This looks like a bug caused by eFX, so better belongs here. I guess the game sets some render behavior when you switch of the menu, which isn't reset by eFX and causes the fullscreen quad to be rendered at strange positions. Hard to tell what exactly causes it.

Please note that the development on eFX stopped, because I'm instead working on the successor of it, which improves on what eFX is capable of and introduces a number of useful features. This means I can no longer give proper support for the current eFX alpha anymore (not that that really worked till now, it was too unstable for that), I'm really sorry about that. I hope the rewrite from scratch helps to get a more stable injector this time.

2. adi518

adi518 Guest

GPU:
    2x Evga 970 SC
    Ok, and is there an estimation for release? anyway, I'm grateful for all the work done on these things, so thank you!

3. Guy.J.

Guy.J. Guest

GPU:
    GTX 560
    I'm guessing that means we're in for a long wait :(

4. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    If he found something that was severely flawed with the original eFX, the wait would actually be shorter now :)
    Rather start from scratch than try to fix the unfixable. Band-aid will only keep something together for a certain amount of time... ;)

Looking forward to the new Injector and the new ideas that are going into it!

5. Crosire

Crosire Member Guru

GPU:
    -
    Actually no, I'm trying to keep the code short and simple. Got something up and running already, which does its job for most of the Direct3D games I own. I'm focusing on OpenGL support right now (with promising progress). The Direct3D9 codepath isn't working really well yet too, I chose a more modern design for the graphical engine which powers the post processing and old D3D9 doesn't really fit in there, so writing a subsystem for it is a bit harder then for Direct3D11 or OpenGL 4.2.
    One new feature is a unified shader language. Wrote a shader compiler, which translates HLSL4 code into the matching HLSL3 and GLSL counterparts. This means we no longer need different shaders for OpenGL and DirectX, just one for all (no new concepts, engines like Unity do that too and there is the CG compiler by NVIDIA, but writing my own implementation has the benefit, that I may add useful language features). It's working good, successfully parsed most SweetFX effects and applied them in OpenGL already... The only problem left here is the preprocessor (the part that resolves all the #include, #define and #if magic). I'm currently using Boost Wave for that job, but it's extremly slow and adds some unfixable memory leaks I don't want. Tried some other libraries too, but nothing I found matches my needs, so I'll probably have to write that from scratch too.
    So there's no release date I can name, sorry again.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  6. Guy.J.

Guy.J. Guest

GPU:
    GTX 560
    Oh goody :) thanks for the update Crosire

7. K-putt

K-putt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    That sounds actually way more promising than i thought. Good work there Crosire! :)

8. deastr

deastr Guest

GPU:
    Can anyone please help me with eFx not applying any effects?

I have Windows 8.1 64bit and Watch Dogs (64bit). I followed all the steps in overclock.net/t/1485750/how-to-use-sweetfx-in-windows-8-1 guide and got eFx working correctly (I see "SweetFx ON" OSD message in the game). But for some reason none of the effects I choose in RadeoPro SweetFx tab is applied in the game.

In-game vsync and anti-aliasing is disabled. SweetFx LumaSharpen is not enabled. No vsync or anti-aliasing effects are enabled in RadeonPro, the only setting is [UseSFX=1].

What should I do?

9. kurtferro

kurtferro Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE NiTRO R9 390 WB
    eFX and RadeonPro are two different way for apply sweetFX, you don't have to use them together

10. Crosire

Crosire Member Guru

GPU:
    -
    <Removed>

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014

11. zoktar

zoktar Guest

GPU:
    4096mb
    Hello, i was just wondering about sweetfx and steam in home streaming, game im trying atm is diablo 3, works really well over 5ghz wifi to my archlinux laptop. Sweetfx gets applyed to the host, but does not carry over to client. Im wondering if perhaps they use some voodoo with directx to improve streaming and thats why sweetfx does not transfeer.

Anyhoo just curious if anyone else has had luck, looks really nice on host computer atleast!

12. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    I think the problem is because the rendering is done by the game , passed to Steam and then passed to the InjectSMAA hook (which runs SweetFX)

But the video that the Steam host streams is captured before SweetFX is applied.

I'm guessing it should be applied to the client, but I don't yet know if that is possible.

Otherwise you'd need to apply SweetFX before the Steam host captures the image.
    Crosire ? .. Do you think that is possible?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  13. Crosire

Crosire Member Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's hard to tell which hook did its job first once they already applied. One has to ensure that the injector SweetFX uses hooks before Steam gets the chance to do that and I'm not sure if that is possible, because Steam starts up the game and thus is the first able to add some jump instructions to the DirectX function addresses, everything else can only be slower. You can be lucky, but that needn't be the case, as you see.
    So yeah, I suggest applying SweetFX to the client too, not the game itself. That however means we need a way to hook the renderer, which draws the stream to your screen. Your lucky if it's DirectX or OpenGL. If it's not, well, your chances to get SweetFX to work then aren't very high at this time ...

14. klownk

klownk New Member

Hello,

Where I can get eFX ?
    You're site is down.

15. tony971

tony971 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 660 2GB
    Will this new version be compatible with ENB's hooking feature? The current eFX doesn't seem to load properly when proxied.

16. Khan213

Khan213 Guest

GPU:
    HD 7990
    Hi @ Crosire,

Is there any SweetFX injector which will work with win 8.1 with no probem?

17. K-putt

K-putt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    I'm not Crosire, but yes. There will be a injector that will work on any recent windows version in the future. If all goes well that is.

18. Khan213

Khan213 Guest

GPU:
    HD 7990
    Thank u for reply. Can u give me some information about injector which will work on all windows and with release date.

19. awtz123

awtz123 Active Member

GPU:
    4770 512mb 128bit
    DOTA 2 with these . anyone?

20. Crosire

Crosire Member Guru

GPU:
    -
    There isn't a release date yet. We're currently doing a private alpha and things are looking good, successfully got everything except SMAA (for now) to work with various DirectX9, 10, 11 and OpenGL games (yes, you read that right, OpenGL support is doing good, if not better than the DirectX part right now). There are some issues with the CRT shader, which somehow isn't doing what it's supposed to do under Direct3D9 (although the shader translation seems to output correct code). About that last part: The shader parser does a really decent job now, translates code written in HLSL shader model 4 (with small changes to the syntax, making it more similar to shader model 3, i.e. no texture objects, instead plain old calls to intrinsic functions like "tex2D(...)") into GLSL and HLSL for Direct3D9 to 11. So the successful OpenGL support mentioned earlier is working with the current SweetFX shaders, there was no need to translate them to GLSL by hand first at all.

To summarize: there's progress, although it moves forward a bit slowly currently. Stay tuned. Cheers.