Editorial: GeForce RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti - An Overview Thus far

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 17, 2018.

1. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Wow, the prices for these are insane! Seems every gen NV add £200 to the price, over £1k for a RTX 2080 Ti!! Well, my 780 has outlasted the 900 series, the 10 series, Titan and will more than likely outlast this current gen :(

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, funny how suddenly 8K arrived on slides and specs, like the NVlink bridge now allowing for 8K SLI etc.

3. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Jeez what Is up with all this negativity people ?
    I thought that the G3D community call it self the " enthusiasts " .
    I have to say that I am very excited about al the new hardware that is coming out lately , after years of stagnation in the CPU market and now great new innovation in the GPU world , I say bring it on ! Finally I feel like I want to spend some money again .
    Yes the prices are too high but that is just the nature of the market , New tech , high demand and lack of propper competition . It is what it is , I would suggest to wait until the prices drop down as I am sure they will ..... eventually .

4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    There you go, that's why people aren't too happy about the new launches :D
    Maybe that changes when we get some real performance benchmarks next month

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    What point is it unless using a massive screen (at close viewing distance)? And the target audience (pc gaming/usage) likely so incredibly minuscule as to not warrant the effort.The higher you go past 4k, the greater the diminishing returns. 8k for practical purposes is a marketing scam, which manufacturers hope 'the moar the better' crowd can appeal to. For professional purposes or special niches may be another matter.

6. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Well does anyone here really think that Nvidia ( or any other company ) would release new product that is not significantly better than the previous generation ? The performace jump might not be as high this time but even before the propper benches come out I would have bet that the performace jump is going to be 20% + between the 1080ti and the 2080ti , that will make it good enough upgrade for folks with 4k monitors for example so most games will be playable at high settings .

7. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Just to be a right nay-zee, thats 4K, or QUHD.
    8K would be ~15Kx8K.

Just because the marketing people invent bigger numbers to sell TV's, does not make them right. ;)
    What everyone calls "4K" is UHD, or 2K.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Wait, what? 2k = 1440p and 4K = 21xxp, right?

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    He's confused :)

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm confused now too :D

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    4K refers to the horizontal resolution of ~4,000 pixels.

It was introduced and defined by cinema professionals (DCI):

"By a unanimous vote, all seven DCI Member Studios approved pursuit of a hierarchical architecture approach for digital cinema, which defines a 4K (4096 by 2160) delivery system that will be compatible with both 4K projectors expected to be available in the near future and with 2K projectors available today. DCI is continuing to encourage manufacturers to develop 4K projectors and related technology for DCI testing and evaluation."
    http://www.dcimovies.com/press/11-12-03.html

In consumer space 4K is understood as 3840 × 2160 (4K UHD) or 4096 × 2160 (DCI 4K)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Evildead666 and fantaskarsef like this.
  12. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I am wondering about how is the testing of these new cards going to be done as the new design its quite different . So are we going to see two types of tests where in one the testers will compare the cards as they are and the other one with the new features disabled so we can see how the GPU parts themself compare , sorry for over thinking this , just thinking that comparing Gtx card with a Rtx card might not be entirely fair as the new rtx generation is fundamentally different with added new features .

13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I think it's rather easy: Bench them with RT off and you're done. That's what all the other cards can do... if you want to bench with RT on, there's currently nothing else to compare anyway...
    After all we're looking for performance in games, those are around, and yet there's anyway no officially final RTX (or DXR) capable game yet, everything's still in alpha / beta at best.

Embra likes this.
  14. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT

We all just need to show some patience for when the reviews are done.

Buying these cards now on pre-order just promos this sort of chaos.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The best way is to bench the cars with RT off and on so we can compare them and decide, maybe have a dedicated section just for RT benches. Of course this means extra work but i´m sure Hilbert is man enough for it!...

16. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Yup. I still wouldn't call UHD anything 4K. It was bloody confusing when the marketing divisions all decided to jump from 1080p FullHD to 4K wow bang supa-monitor.
    Why the hell they couldn't just keep on with the standard 2160p/4320p or UHD/QUHD.....

I'll give the DCI spec the benefit of actually having 4 Thousand something, so they can call it 4K.

17. JoonyDoom

JoonyDoom Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I game at 1440p 144hz so I stayed home since 980 ti. Upgrading now seems like a good idea and I pre-ordered my RTS 2080. Love that raytracing is now included but if I can not use 1440p and at least 50 fps I am going to be upset.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    What do you mean 2K? 1080p or 1440p? At 1080p I'd hope it can hold 50 fps in most games with ray tracing enabled, but at 1440p I wouldn't hold my breath.

19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    What game you plan to play with Ray Tracing?

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    3 games that will determine the success or failure of RTX series within next 6 months; Shadow of Tomb Raider, BF V, Metro Exodus. Real Time Ray Tracing for games may be the promise of the future, just doubt in can be delivered satisfactorily with the RTX series (unless you are on a 1080p 60hz monitor). So Turing better have kickass non-RT performance to fall back on or we may see a lot of disgruntled 1440p/high refresh, 4k gamers.

Dragam1337 likes this.