Edit: Scan.co.uk may have sent a 2nd hand PSU! :Seasonic 750W Prime Ultra Titanium PSU only £155

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mufflore, Jun 24, 2019.

1. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    ha, live next door to it myself. Always been great in person, even when i had to RMA a 2080ti, they gave me a credit / refund option.

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Scan have got two 'problems'.

1) They 'go cheap' with their delivery companies.
    2) They have attrocious stock control management at PoS.

1) I wrote them a big cheque a few years ago and they picked a delivery company who decided to hire staff who didn't want to work on the hottest day of the year and 'call in sick'. As a result, my custom made computer (over $3k) spent two of the hottest days of the year in a warehouse with no air-con and a steel roof. Guess what? It cooked it, resulting in monumental and catastrophic hardware failure when plugged in.

As the PC was delivered on a large pallet, with untold amounts of boxes and plastic-wrapping. with extra protection inside, the job of returning it to the depot and getting my money back was over a day lost ferrying hardware all over town, signing delivery dockets and so on and so forth.

2) They have a buy-in price for their hardware and make claims that something is out of stock, which is a lie - because they are a reseller and they have a reseller mark-up. So...they get price X when they buy a bulk quantity of Y and charge Z, if they do not have enough 'pre-orders', they simply do not make the phone call.

This helps them, but does not help you or I with needing something 'immediately' at the price they advertise it. They in essence are lying when they say they cannot get the stock, they just do not want to take the bulk order hit when something is ordered, so they do not order it.

You understand what I'm saying here; IF an nvidia gtx2180 will cost them $500 per unit if they order 100 units, they will wait until they get pre-orders for 100 units before ordering it, and then charge you or I the RRP + £5-10 for delivery by pot-smoking jokers who just want to phone in sick when it's the weekend and they want to watch football and get high.

Worst company on the face of the earth, and, just full of liars who did NOT know who they were procreating with when I got through with them.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yes I use CCL thanks, they have been one of my go to's for 15 years maybe.
    They were very good to me with my last return which I should have been charged for because I owned up to not needing it.
    Yet was charged nothing, it was handled quick and simple.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thats terrible, they also tried it with me on the phone.
    Your and my experience suggest they dont know what happens with their stock, yet they refused point blank to accept the PSU I was sent could be anything but brand new.

Good job they didnt follow through, a Paypal claim would have followed.
    I use Paypal or a Credit card for purchases over £100.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thanks for contributing your experience.
    It has a ring of truth.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  6. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    They insisted it came direct from evga and didn't touch them, so no way could it be damaged, yet their tracking showed it was picked and dispatched from their address. Odd, fortunately I reordered from Scan on Amazon the same item and sent the current one back as a refund for it. Which Amazon obliges. Two can play their game.

Mufflore likes this.
  7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    lol, fair play.

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Yup. It was a painful weekend, emotionally and taught me to always buy products directly from the manufacturers website directly.

All the big boys have got their own webstores and so, in the future companies like Scam will cease to exist, because they simply do not need to exist.

If you will allow me to brandisly pontificate, without derailing - game publishers are facing the same problem(s), in that they do not need to exist thanks to the internet.

Need a game? Digital download from the developer.
    Need a peice of hardware for your PC? Go to the manufacturer's website and get it next day.

In the days of...the 1990's? having shops on high streets was kinda necessary as you could not go to the manufacturer, or even know which manufacturers there were, or which were the best for you.

EA does not need to exist, and if there is any truth to what I am saying, look no further than any company offering any form of a subscription model for gaming because, they fear the future deeply and will try and fill your head with nonsense in an attempt to obsficate that which is simple.

You cannot trust companies in general, and I would not buy anything from Scam ever again - because they do not need to exist, and so; they lie.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ROTFLMAO

You're talking rubbish, computer parts are produced in extremely high temperatures.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Electrolytic capacitors have temperature limits.
    It is possible, depending how hot the warehouse was.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    operational temperature limits yes.

putting a graphics card in an oven at several hundred degrees (reflowing) doesn't kill them, so a hot warehouse won't either.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You dont reflow in an oven for a whole day/days, it is a minute/minutes.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its quite a bit more than "minutes" if you want it to take.

regardless, storage in a steel warehouse won't damage inert capacitors.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Depends on the temperature and whether its fan assisted.
    Sustained high temps will cause premature ageing of electrolytic caps.

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I'm talking about an entire computer with a metal steel case, whose innards were packed in protective foam and bubblewrap - and it was the hottest day of the year, it even broke a few records - not too mention it was also in their whorehouse the following Sunday, because people don't tend to work on Sundays, especially 3rd rate numbskull delivery companies.

You add that to the additional packaging, shrink-wrapped and all the other elements and you got a 100% chance that something will not work correctly.

As I understand it - the entire computer had to be taken apart and then the individual components were tested, put back together again. I did ask why they had to go through this process and it was explained they had to make sure, with no shadow of doubt, that I did not do anything 'onsite' and that I was not at fault.

They basically agreed with me in that the temperature must have played a part, as they did test the hardware prior to despatch - and they could not make it work upon its return.

It didn't even post, Astyanax...as to what I did next, I would rather not say, but it got bloody and I essentially got all my money back, and a little bit more.

All of 'this' - purely because they thought they could save a few bucks over the course of a year by choosing probably the worst delivery company in the UK "DPD". It probably cost them $3-5k, after you add up all the costs they had to swallow, like staff, returned goods they can no longer sell, and yes; heat-damaged second hand goods have little to no value.

If you want something delivered, choose Royal Mail. They got standards, which is why they are the most expensive. Getting something delivered by the Royal Mail is like a gold stamp of approval from her Majesty.

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    @Loobyluggs

Not sure what are yours issues with DPD but I'm all my parts from several retailers like CCL, Overclockers.co.uk, Scan,Watercoolinguk.co.uk etc and if I have choice for delivery then I always choose DPD

They always delivered, no issues with delivery or tracking or broken parts etc

There few companies which I don't or wouldn't use and they are Aquatuning, Box, Ebuyer and few others

Never have issues with Scan and their RMA process, few years back bought board from them and board wouldn't recognise RAM or CPU and they replaced board within 1 week I think, Overclockers.co.uk no issues with delivery or parts which I bought, Watercoolinguk.co.uk that's different story, they are just too slow with delivery but always my order have been delivered, no issues, CCL similar to Watercoolinguk.co.uk slow delivery and twice they sent me wrong item which caused I lost two customers or two builds as they needed to be finished on time

When it comes to Royal Mail, they're not best, three times they lost my items and three times O needed go through the small hell with them and their department,I use them for something which needs to be delivered by 1pm but for other orders we use DPD or UPS which we use

Personally I wouldn't sent PC with any of these companies but that's me,usually I always deliver builds which I do build, last time I delivered one build London to Aberdeen Scotland in one day, because I promised PC will be delivered this day

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Well, time has marched on since this happened...but my comments stand regarding Scan, specially about them being a simple reseller and not being a manufacturer of anything, and that etailers just have no point or use any more.

DPD, however, screwed up quite badly last year for me. They delivered a very large painting to me, with the outside damaged, even though it was a work of art and had plenty of 'handle with care' stickers on it. I could also add the time they delivered a damaged monitor box that had dead pixels, but it would be impossible for me to point the finger at them for the dead pixel, but the box was damaged, which is on them.

Oh, they also delivered late last year two small pains of glass which I was going to put into some custom-made frames for artwork I had done. The guy that knocked on my apartment door was holding the carboard box with the pains of glass in them, shaking it and was saying 'whats in this?'. He also stank of 'weed'. I had to then send him away after explaining what he had done (broken the glass), and reported him for his curious odour.

I consider them 3rd rate and always will.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

Even less likely to be damaged then by the warehouse heat in this case then!

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Oh, let me get some popcorn and let you explain to forum members that getting a cooling system for your PC is a waste of money! What about datacentres? Should they bother with cooling?

Look, you don't know, but they (the techs who put it together for me) said this was the only explanation that made sense because, they had the pre-delivery report (it was overclocked - so they knew what the timings were etc, and even had a backup of the bios for tech support in the future) and the results when they got it back.

It didn't work when they got it back and agreed with me. You need to really think about how much they lost - companies (especially Scam) do not like to hand money over to someone of this amount for nothing, and they were in an indefensible position.

20. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Some of those local retailers can be awful, but i can also say that some of them are really good. From what you have been through, it is unfortunate that you got a bad experience.