1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edit: Scan.co.uk may have sent a 2nd hand PSU! :Seasonic 750W Prime Ultra Titanium PSU only £155

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mufflore, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Loobyluggs likes this.
  2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Beware, I was sent a second hand power supply, its going back.
    Its not worth the risk buying these, sorry I posted it!

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    They have been obstructive, I had to call them 3 times to get it resolved.
    Each time they insisted it wasnt possible I was sent a second hand PSU and were "very surprised" at the fingermarks etc, implicating I was trying to pull a fast one.

I was told to return it to them but I asked for it to be collected and was assured that would happen and to wait for the emails.
    The emails linked me to the DPD booking site where you book a return at a local pick up point.
    They also sent a link to a generic returns label pdf, it was not for my return.
    This could have ended with a lost parcel!

When I called the 3rd time I asked to speak to the manager and was told she is unavailable and could he help.
    I explained the parcel needs collecting from me.
    He said the DPD booking site was sent in error and asked which day it can be collected.
    It was not in error because I wasnt previously asked for a collection date.
    I now have a confirmed collection date.

This episode has put me off Scan, I will not use them again.
    Sad.

ps I wouldnt have posted this if they hadnt obstructed me multiple times.
    Behaviour like this needs to be known.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    This is what it looks like

The wrapper had been screwed up, I didnt make it look like that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didnt open the box further, that was enough.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Loobyluggs likes this.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    edit:
    It is in fact the Ultra version, Seasonic seriously need to look at what they put on the box!
    Covered in post 9.
    Original post below:

Would you believe it, I found they sent me the previous PSU version, the Prime Titanium.
    I ordered the newer Prime Ultra Titanium, the invoice says this is what they sent.

I tried to raise a complaint with a manager and was put through to the returns dept again. I was promised the manager would call back but I didnt feel he was telling the truth.
    I called again and got customer support to speak to the manager and get me a time when she would call.
    She came to the phone straight away.
    She was very defensive about what could have happened, insisting it could not be a second hand PSU. She accepted it might not be new though. Strange.
    She said they open a box from a batch to check and that is probably what happened.
    I explained if that was true they didnt notice it was the wrong PSU version when they put it into stock and whoever opened it handled it very roughly.
    This suggests it wasnt opened by someone who verifies the stock.
    I commented its possible someone swapped it out surreptitiously but she wouldnt have it saying they have cameras everywhere.
    I asked how she could be so sure when she hasnt checked the cameras, she didnt have a worthwhile answer.

I asked why the person sending it to me didnt notice it isnt new and not even the right power supply.
    She kept denying there could be a fault with their systems or processes.
    I asked how a problem of this magnitude could escape their systems or processes if they are working. She kept repeating things she had already said.

I asked for a complaint number and she went all round the houses then said I have to write in to make a complaint.
    I said I am making it with you now, can I have the complaint number please.
    She very weirdly went through many different types of numbers saying is this what I want and even asked me if I want a phone number.
    I told her she isnt going to put me off and to give me a complaint number.
    This time she gave me one!
    Bloody hell.

I asked who I can contact higher up to raise what is happening and received an email address which I have yet to validate.
    This has become quite an adventure.

6. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    This is certainly very unusual behaviour from scan, I've only ever had seamless orders from them -at worst though, they can't deny you a refund given it's within the 14-day return period (you don't need to have a reason to return it, particularly if bought online) so just tell them "If you wont exchange this item, then just give me a refund" they'll change their tune pretty quickly enough.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    They offered the refund with no issue, no complaint about that.
    My issue is how a second hand scruffy box PSU that is the previous model can be substituted for a brand new current model without being spotted.
    The manager refused to accept there are problems with their procedures and that it must have been sent to them like that by Seasonic!
    So it wasnt spotted when booked in or when shipped to me.
    Unbelievable.
    I suggested its possible someone internal swapped them at some point but she wouldnt have it.

I need an explanation of how this could happen from a well trusted major online supplier.
    And why I was intentionally fobbed off a lot.
    I am writing to the site owner.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Started buying online hardware parts since 2007, and until now with just one minor issues everything went smoothly.
    Sad to hear what Scam..cough Scan did to you.
    I would be pissed off. And raise hell and sick on them all dogs from my neighborhood.
    Just lousy, awful practice to deal the situation like that with a customer.
    God knows what they're dealing every day and maybe their internal policies made them do what they did to you.
    Even so, let's hope that this issue has a positive outcome.
    Cheers, mate!

Mufflore likes this.
  9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    I have to eat a bit of humble pie but I bet I'm not the only one that fell for this.
    The PSU box has graphics all over saying "Prime Titanium", ie the old version PSUs name.
    But I just found on only one end of the box, very small text saying "Prime Ultra 750W Titanium".
    What is peculiar, the photo of the end posted above is of that end but all the white text after the word "model" appears black in the photo. Huh?
    So feck.
    I wrote a huge email to the owner of Scan but luckily spotted this before I sent it.

My complaint now is reduced to how I received an open box or potentially 2nd hand PSU, sold as new.
    If I can be assured of its quality and the warranty is the full 12 years (and perhaps a few £ off) I will probably keep it.
    I'd rather put this one to bed if it can be done easily, my head is sore.

10. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

I used several times Scan and they always been quick with replies or RMA if I needed

I still use them but their range for water cooling is just poor and stopped using them, several times I find better deal elsewhere which is shame

If its 2nd hand or have been used hard to say from pictures, cables looks OK or like everything inside does look, its have been mess in cables etc?

From this you should be deduct if its been used or not

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Mufflore likes this.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    I checked inside the box last night and the PSU is clean and in good condition. The cables are packaged well.
    I havent tried it yet because I need to know how much use it has had and if the warranty is still valid.
    So I called them this morning and explained the situation, apologising for my error.
    Customer Service said the manager was in meetings all day (yep I get it) and he gave me her email address, so I popped off an email.
    I suggested if any money is due back to me from the PSU not being new, they treat everyone involved to a beer instead of giving it me.

5:30pm there was no reply so I checked if the email address is valid, it is not. I was deliberately given an email address that would not be answered!
    I have sent the email again using the correct address, lets see how this pans out.

Its sad they continue to be obstructive, even when offered an olive branch.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    She responded in good time explaining the plastic seal Seasonic surround the PSU with is difficult for their bar code reader to penetrate so they have to unseal it. They are getting in touch with Seasonic to have this remedied.
    I pointed out the situation is more severe, the box had been opened roughly, it wasnt just a case of the bar code being read.
    I needed to know if the full warranty was applicable and was annoyed my complaint was being deliberately disregarded.
    She said she could not advise why the packaging was in that condition but confirmed the full warranty was in force.
    I accepted this and the PSU is working well in my machine.

Thus ends this adventure, pending anything strange happening in the future.
    I imagine worthwhile lessons have been learned, I will consider using Scan again, with caution.
    Before a purchase is made I will check how they respond.
    I will update this thread if the need arises.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    maybe they should use a better bar code reader, none of the etailers over here have issue with the seasonic shrinkwrap.

Mufflore likes this.
  14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Fair point.
    Its difficult to know what the truth is with this matter because everyone covered everyone elses back.
    I will force a trust they have learned a lesson, but any further infraction will see this thread updated.
    Fingers crossed we dont lose another trusted UK retailer.

Overclockers.co.uk are on my banned list for deliberate scamming and obstruction.
    They sent me a broken second hand TV in a bin liner as new and refused to respond until I threatened legal action! They even tried to dodge the £28 cost of delivery. Plus 2 other similar complaints by them.

This is the second infraction Scan have earned from me.
    Its lucky they got this far.

15. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    Did you get anything off?

16. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Had some issues with scan myself, took them 4 months to RMA a pair of GPUs.

Best way I found to rattle their cage was actually via their twitter account, every time I spoke to them things got moving. And I’m talking call backs from senior managers who helped a lot.

Hope you get this resolved.

Mufflore likes this.
  17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    I told them to use any refund due to me by having a beer, to make up for my error.
    No comment was made about it which was a little sad and nothing was offered.
    I'm ok with that.

lmimmfn likes this.
  18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Thanks.

Sorry to hear they did worse to you. I dont use Twitter but thats a good point.
    I was only permitted to speak to the Returns dept manager. Customer Service flat refused to put me through to anyone else.
    The second time I tried to speak to her she was "in meetings all day" and to contact her by email. They then gave me a false email address for her.

As long as the PSU performs well in the first year it is resolved, thereafter it will be dealt with by Seasonic.

anxious_f0x likes this.
  19. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Have you considered using www.cclonline.com? I shop there regularly (more so because they are relatively close by to me given I live in Bradford, so use their trade counter), most of the hardware I own I bought from there including having to RMA hardware twice in the past which was absolutely painless for me, took defective hardware back to the trade counter, they tested, issued me new hardware to replace (CPU and motherboard)

20. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    wouldnt use scan ever again since recently ordering something that came damaged, and they instantly blamed me and refused a refund. left me stuck with a £150 item, obnoxious on the online chat.