1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edit Bios AMD R9 290X

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Robox1, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Robox1

Robox1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX670
    I have to modify the Bios of a Powercolor R9 290X, in particular by reducing the frequency of the memories. I have some questions:

1) Is it possible to download from the web the bios of this card (same brand and model precisely) and modify it or do I need to download the bios present on my VGA?

2) What is the easiest way to make this change? Is there a utility like for previous AMD models?

3) What can I use to flash the bios from dos?

2. z8373767

z8373767 Member Guru

GPU:
    Fury Nitro 1070/600
    1) https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

It's large base with bios and im 98% sure you will find your stock bios here, to modify.
    Or best of the best, copy your own bios via AMD/AtiFlash, or GPU-Z

2) https://www.overclock.net/forum/67-amd/1561372-hawaii-bios-editing-290-290x-295x2-390-390x.html

I never used this, because i never had Hawaii, but everything is explained in post.

3) If i remember AtiWinFlash runs under dos (or it was AtiFlash?)
    Use Rufus to make bootable dos pendrive with atiflash and bios.rom inside.

Always you can try this: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/
    It runs under Windows, i never had issue about it.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    AtiFlash works under both Windows (Command-line arguments.) and DOS, AtiWinFlash I believe was outdated and recommended to avoid for newer GPU models and OS's as it can corrupt things if you attempt a flash with it.
    (AtiFlash is also updated periodically to support newer GPU models though for the 290X it shouldn't be a major concern.)

For Windows flip the bios switch, dump it and name it something and then flip the switch again and dump the secondary bios too so you have backups of both. :)
    This can be done without rebooting but on reboot it will load the bios so if the card is unstable or showing no signal you'll want to flip the switch (And never flash both bios positions at the same time.) and boot back into the system with the default bios for that switch, flip back to the prior broken bios and flash it with the backup you made to restore it.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I flashed my tahiti cards in windows many times with no problems. Dual bios is nice to have if something goes wrong.
    I also had vbe7 bios editor so i can force the flash and not get a subsystem id mismatch. I dont think that works on hawaii gpu.