Edit a monitor's driver?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mozgus, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Mozgus

Mozgus Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 3GB
    I have a Samsung 740B, using the DVI connection. I have one small issue. The driver that Samsung put out for this monitor seems to think that when I use the 1280 resolution, that the monitor cannot do a refresh rate of 75. But it can. It says so right in the manual. And I can always tell windows to show me modes that the monitor cannot display, and then that way I can get 75hz.

The problem is, many apps still insist on 60hz, because they read the driver as such. Should I just not install the driver for this monitor anymore? Because when it's plug and play, it detects 75hz just fine.

Also, I know about refresh rate force, in the nvidia panel, but it doesn't always seem to work.

2. Ilmarin

Ilmarin Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7800GTX 512 extreme
    it can do UP to 75.that doesnt mean it can do so in every res.im sure 1024 gets to work at 75 just fine.in short monitor limitation

3. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    Hey, I´ve tried to find if I could do the same thing for my 794mb to force a default of 85hz. The driver´s INF file has a part that I think it´s the one that defines the resolutions:

[SM794MB.AddReg]
    HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"30-70,50-160,+,+"
    HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"SM794MB.icm"

The first line is a section indicator, the third specifies the color profile, and the one in the middle says some things about (I think) scan rates, sync polarities and such. Since I didn´t really care about it too much, I left it there but if you wish I can research a little and tell you how to modify this line to force a single refresh rate of 75hz for you.

Will follow this post.

Andrés

4. Mozgus

Mozgus Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 3GB
    Wrong. My monitor does 75hz in 1280x1024 just fine. The manual, the site, everything says that it can. It's safe. This is just a typo in the driver or something. I am running 75hz right now, and have been for a month. No adverse effects.

That would be great. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006

5. Mozgus

Mozgus Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 3GB
    andrescm. Did you find any info yet?

6. hartofalyon

hartofalyon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
    i'm not sure about samsung's, but with my hyundai, if i want 75hz at 1280, i have to use the blue analog connecter. dvi will limit to 60hz.

7. Mozgus

Mozgus Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 3GB
    Still hoping for a little help.

8. rage1189

rage1189 Banned

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    I use my BenQ FP71G+S 17inch at 1280/1024 at 75 hertz np. Have been for 6y months now with no ill effect, oh and u can get 75 hertz with with the dvi cable and analog cable