1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edifier R1280DB coming my way, what to expect?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by anticupidon, Dec 22, 2018.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Hi gents, took advantage of the Amazon employee discount code to buy those speakers. The code expires on the 31 of December 2018, so I wanted to make the most of it. Oh well, can you blame me?
    I am new in the sound-speakers -hi-fi thing, just bear with me.
    Bought those speakers, didn't want to spend more than 150 € which was my budget, I know those speakers aren't high-end audiophile approved items; wanted to change my 5.1 speaker setup and have something more simple and better. Also, I bought some foam standoffs.
    Some questions:
    • I have to listen to them for some time to " break " them for a period of time. How long, is this a thing?
    • There is something I have to change -driver-wise or tweak just to get the most of the speakers?
    • Is it better to use a Toslink cable or a good old jack to RCA cable?
    • Anyone have them, could chime in?

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Well, those speakers are wireless, so using either BlueTooth or Toslink (or RCA coax digital) would mean you are using the DAC on the speakers. If you use the Line1 or Line2 inputs, then you'll be using analog output from your sound source.

If you use BlueTooth connection, you won't even need a soundcard. You may encounter some latency when watching movies, so adjust your player to sync it.

Also, the non-wireless model was $30 cheaper :)

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    I wanted Bluetooth for the commodity's sake.
    Now, I think that left speaker will be connected to the right one which has the built-in amplifier. Then input from soundcard via analogue cable or Toslink.
    Am I wrong?

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Got them, set them right away.
    Am I wrong, or Youtube music sounds like crap, well most of it?
    Am I accostumed to listed to "sugar coated" files to "sound" better and suddenly these speakers "tell" the truth?
    Anyway, i leave tehm burn in for some while.

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Well.... they are near-field monitors. So they should be resolving and detailed, and are meant for critical listening, typically for editing purposes..

6. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    Could be a Bluetooth thing.
    I have the 1280T's running thru a HT|Omega Claro.
    Everything sounds good - Games/Music including Youtube.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Have them hooked via the analog cable included in the package.
    Overall impression is that sounds are not muffled, muddy and I discovered lots of tones and sounds hidden by previous speaker set

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Music on YouTube is very often just a poor quality MP3 upload, and better speakers will reveal it.

To get a good test of the speakers, you can just create a free Spotify account and use the tracks of this album as a test to see how much better your current speakers are able to resolve detail compared to your older ones:

https://open.spotify.com/album/48z5Rx9kEYdGRACTN6d6gx

The audio quality of the free version of Spotify is still excellent.

(You can use uBlock Origin to get rid of the Spotify ads, but you didn't hear that from me...)