ebay advice needed asap

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by chaotic1, Apr 13, 2008.

1. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    i have just got a reply from him >

he has yet to respond to the psu question etc (amp's on the 12v rails) , i hope they sort it out so i dont have to refund him the money (spent it already lol)

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
  3. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    so it could be the amps are to low for the gfx card ?

4. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    The amps are with in required me thinks, but whether or not this psu will provide this is another story all together.

Best pm makalu he's ussually got some insane knowledge about psu's ;)

5. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    This is where insurance on shipping comes in handy. You should ALWAYS insure any item you sell/ship for the full purchase price. If the card worked fine before it goes from point a to point b and when it gets to point b it is not ok, than something has happened from point a to point b. Claim for the insurance (if you have it). They will take the card and send you a check for the full amount after they investigate the claim. The same exact thing happened to me when I sold a laptop. After 4 weeks, I was mailed a check for the amount. I forwarded the check to the buyer after I received it (not before) since all fault is out of your hands when it leaves to be shipped. No problems from them or eBay with this method.

It could also be the amps on the rails though. Make sure you check his specs against the required ones. A lot of people disregard things they don't understand.

6. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    yes i sent the card royal mail special delivery , they asked the value of the item which i said was a £100 . insurance was included in the price (not sure what the royal mail is like in these type of case's)

7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    i second that, he still confuses me, but knows his stuff :)

8. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    i just got a message from him saying he want a refund of £29 for postage costs/ phone calls as it was confirmed to be faulty and replaced , it was fine when it was sent and i sent it special sat delivery instead of normal recorded delivery at no extra cost to him . i think he has a nerve for asking this , how do i stand with this ?

9. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    What will happen depends on what was agreed between vendor and purchaser BEFORE the sale. Did you post any terms and conditions of sale? If you didn't the issue may well come down to what was said or expressly agreed. Did you discuss any terms or conditions before the sale?

If the answer is no to the above then. Your item must be 'fit for purpose', as described and also of satisfactory quality. See the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

If your item is not fit for purpose i.e playing games, then your purchaser may be entitled to a full refund.

Here is a useful link:
    http://www.berr.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

In the future I would be tempted to place some stringent, but not unfair 'Terms and conditions' of sale of your advertisements. If your vendor then fails to read them properly, because you state in your advertisement 'Please read carefully' then you would be reasonably protected.

Your purchaser can claim/ is entitled to reimbursement of any incidental costs (i.e P&P) as well.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  10. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    the gfx card was tested for 5 hours before sending and no faults were found , he gets it and after 2 days then says it was freezing in games and asked if a 370w psu was enough . could something like this cause problems and he also said he tried it in his mates system , could something he did cause problems .

he then got a trust 520w psu and got the same problem , no problem in 2d but in 3d games and 3dmark06 it froze . he was supplied with the original bill of sale and the card was only a month or so old , when i tested it it ran stalker-hl2 and 3dmark06 with out problems . full load temps never went over 71c when tested

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008

11. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    yes but at the end of the day, most consumers are idiots and so are trading standards and ebay. if someone buys something with the knowledge that it will work and it doesnt then they have been given dodgy goods. Its basically your word that it was tested and his word that it didnt work under his system. the fact is it was found faulty by the company and ebay will most likely look in favour of the buyer because of this.

i could be wrong tho.

12. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    There is some wisdom here. Yes it will most likely come down to his word against yours. Obviously, you sound to us like you know what your doing.

I include a full list of terms and conditions that includes a term about the fitting of computer parts and 'competence'. Follow manufacturers instructions, etc, etc...

Also I only allow 7 days for refunds. A give strict instructions on what to do in the event of a fault. For instance, this chap testing the GPU on another rig would have invalidated his refund, from me anyway.

13. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    i never put anything for returns , maybe i should in future

14. Reality|Bites

Reality|Bites Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI Asus/eVGA 8800Ultra/B
    I would say he genuinly(sp) has a problem with the card, but the cause of his problem is his PSU, Tell him to buy a quality PSU before he takes things any further.

15. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Defo, search around on ebay and find someone else's terms and conditions that you like the look of and bastardise them to suite your needs.