Easily Avoidable Abbreviations

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by nvlddmkm, Jul 19, 2009.

1. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I can't for the life of me figure out why people use texting abbreviations on the internets especially when we all use full keyboards and access the net with a computer and not a cell phone. Now, I'm sure some folks access the boards via phone and that is understandable. But is it really so hard to actually take the quarter to half second to actually type out the entire word when you have a full keyboard and probably crude typing skills? Or is it that people have gotten to the point that looking like an illiterate fool who cannot spell is considered cool? Or is there something I'm just missing here? Is the actual word "you", Your, You're, etc. so hard to type? Is looking illiterate/lazy/downright stupid a cool thing now?

Edit: This is directed at those that live in countries that speak English as a native language.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  2. Stromgold

Stromgold Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    I usually don't abbreviate when I'm using a keyboard, but when texting on my phone I do. Not that I really see anything wrong with abbreviating in forums or anything. It isn't like we are writing a formal essay or anything. :p

Although, for some reason, I almost always use the abbreviation "ppl" instead of typing out the word. It's just a habit I think.

3. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    u no, I wuz jst crs wi ppl typ wat smz lik ths when it is so much, if not easier just to write the whole words. Sure I abbreviate some words, that's just the nature of the technology we use. But words that contain three, four, or five letters are abbreviated. Makes me wonder about folks, u no? LOL

4. Stromgold

Stromgold Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    heheh, yeah, I get what you are saying. I agree with you that when ppl abbreviate nearly everyword, it is a bit irritating to read. :nerd:

5. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    One of my college English professors and I had lengthy discussions on this very topic.
    Her opinion (man, talk about ranting...she'd go on forever about it) was that it was something that the generations that grew up without computers were going to have to get used to. It's always been a young persons world, nothing about that will ever change.
    She related it to her mother ranting and raving about her going out on a date in the late 1950's without a chaperone. Even worse to her mother was all the harlots that stayed out past 10 p.m. on a weekend night.
    I personally think it's unbecoming for anyone in the aforementioned agegroup (people who grew up without the internet) to abbreviate every other word when they don't have to, but my parents couldn't stand my hippie hair down to my shoulders.

It's a new world - for every generation... someday the abbreviators will loathe the fact that the generation after them can't type.

6. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I HATE IT! On online games it seems to be only the Brits who say 'wot, m8, u,' etc. It makes me embarrassed to be English seeing the pure idiocy the majority of us demonstrate >< Even little things like saying 'your' instead of 'you're'. Using 'f' instead of 'th' e.g. 'i fink ur hackin m8!' ... God it makes my blood boil.

I saw a survey that showed women prefer a guy who texts with proper English rather than uses stupid childish abreviations for every other word.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Would you guys like some light Sunday afternoon LULZ?

8. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    I don't have problem with it at all on MSN, where people are typing long sentences fast, or games, it's just the forums that annoy me. If you are asking for help show some respect and type correctly and best to your abilities, otherwise it looks to me like you don't even care that people are trying to help you by making them waste their time and effort deciphering your mess. Personally I just pass over those threads even if I can help.

9. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    exactly!!!!!

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500

11. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    I refrain from using those horrible abbreviations even when I'm texting unless I'm really out of space. Any time you have access to a full keyboard there is no excuse to use stupid abbreviations (proper ones are fine if they are used correctly). If you want to type something fast, then learn how to type fast.

*extra grammar/language rant*
    "I COULDN'T care less" is the way to say you do not care about a topic. It is NOT 'I could care less'. I've seen this so many times over the past week and it just really gets to me.

12. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    I used to type with u, and ur, y, ect.
    But while typing up a high school exam paper a few years back, i carelessly left alot of those abbreviations in it, and had to rewrite the exam only getting 60% of my grade. So with an A paper i was lucky to get a D. Which i talked my way up to getting a C.

Since then i don't use abbreviations like that anymore. I'll still use LoL, or BRB. But i don't use w8 for wait, or ur for your anymore.
    I learned my lesson, just now it drives me nuts when i see other people do it.
    I'm not a grammar nazi, but i will correct someone who does it, eventually they'll get so annoyed at me for correcting them, they'll either stop talking or start typing properly

13. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    theres nothing wrong with lol, lmao brb etc...

14. Sparx

Sparx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 6950 OC 2GB
    brb going afk m8

15. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)

There is something wrong with 'lol'. Especially when people end every single one of their sentences with it. It just looks stupid.

16. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Yeah, they are so commonly used, that it's a part of teh internetz:p Personally, I've got nothing against those words, but still I don't use them.

Oh, wait I do. I usually use BTW and BRB.:wanker:

17. CrackWhiz

CrackWhiz Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4890 Dual Fan Editio
    It becomes a habit if you keep using those words and then you can't stop...
    Even while writing formal letters, you start to write in sms language...man i had a big problem with my english paper because i didn't notice what i was writing down in my essay...
    don't use them anymore though...other than an occassional lol, brb, etc..

18. mike41

mike41 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560ti
    i dont really see the problem. It depends what context someone is talking in. Like if i want to start an argument or a real discussion. But if its over like say hockey teams then being like OMG PENS FTW!11 isnt bad. You just have to get used to it. The only thing that annoys me is when an English speaking person cant use there, their, and they're

19. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Well i don't think i could get use to people saying OMG Pens FTW11 lol

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    i know people that actually say LOL instead of typing it. it doesnt bother me , instead i think of it as slang language. people make up the weirdest things nowadays.
    i mean "to Google" is even a verb now.