Earphones... Literally a pain...

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Truder, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Truder

Truder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    I get it, the earphones that sit inside your ear canal can provide rich sound whilst isolating sounds from the exterior environment, these can be useful when you're in a noisy environment but jesus they are such a pain! Literally!

I've tried several brands, with all kinds of sizes and while having some great in-ear earphones, with a perfect seal I just find that the pressure these exert inside my ears (despite not using these at high volumes) causes physical pain and discomfort, I also don't like not being aware of my surroundings.

Why is this such a problem now? Well... I used to use Sony MDR-E818-LP earphones https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-E-818-LP-Headphones-Black/dp/B00005QBUU, simple standard earphones that rested in the opening of the ear canal, they provided great sounds for what they were whilst being very affordable (and thus replaceable when the inevitable damage or even loss of the pair occurs). Sadly Sony stopped producing these earphones and my PSP equivalents (which I removed the attenuators) are on their last legs. The current Sony offerings of similar design, the MDR-E9LP are simply awful.

So I try to find alternative earphones but if they're not cheap and nasty ones, they are all overwhelmingly these in-ear canal types....

Why not over ear headphones? Well.. I still want to have discrete earphones that otherwise don't interfere too much with my surroundings and for comfort too.

Any suggestions? (with or without a mic and media controls is fine).

Thanks

2. OpenSystem

OpenSystem Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
  3. Truder

Truder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    They still isolate the outside environment and I also still feel the pressure inside my ear sadly, I seem to be rather sensitive :(

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Or order a custom one which are made by your ear canals form. Such IEMs (In Ear Monitors) will provide best isolation and best comfort. And no silicon tips required.

PS And they all have detachable cord.

Truder likes this.

5. Truder

Truder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    That is an option of course, but again, I don't want to completely isolate the environment.

I suppose I could get clip-on over ear "headphones" but then I'd lose the discrete factor :(

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    IEMs will not isolate completely. And if you pause the music you can hear environment without problem.

7. Truder

Truder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Erm.... well yes... of course when you pause o_O...

They are cost prohibitive though, don't really want to spend over £100 on something that can easily be lost. I'd have to try them though, I'm really sensitive so they may or may not work for me, I really don't want anything in my ear canal.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Then any type of IEMs is not for you. They all fit in ear canal.

I have such custom IEMs which are old universal IEMs (with 3 balanced armature drivers) just re-shelled into custom acryl body. I hear them mostly on the way to work and back to home, and no traffic noise makes me increase the volume - because isolation is good enough.

9. Truder

Truder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    That's why I'm looking for MDR 818 alternatives, (sorry if my opening post was not clear enough)
    vivaldi_BKHhJWFrGH.png
    they don't go in the ear canal completely, just sitting on the ridge. Simple, provided decent enough sound and doesn't isolate the environment.

Looking into earphone technology, not including noise cancellation, there seems to have been an actual regression in hardware quality, I guess with having designs where the earphone is able to sit much closer to the eardrum, manufacturers don't need to use large (relatively) drivers .

So far it seems Edifier and Sennheiser are my only options

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    @Truder

Sure you stated the wanted shape pretty clear in OP - they are not IEMs by definition.
    I was just pointing to another direction.

Have you seen alternative form of not-so-deep-into-canal headphones
    [​IMG]
    ?
    They are a middle ground between IEMs and your Sony ones. And I saw many cheap onesfrom many OEMs.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My recommendation is avoid if you have problems, your ears are too important.

I bought the HTC Vive VR headset that comes with in ear phones.
    Within minutes I couldnt use them, they hurt that much, even with the smallest inserts.
    I had to use a set of headphones for the short time I used this VR headset (it was so blurry, it was awful).

I far prefer the soundstage from a set of speakers anyway so no biggy for me.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super