Early build of Windows Blue has leaked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 25, 2013.

1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Yeah?

"Yup, maybe when steam becomes available for Linux, a huge population of gamers will migrate to there. That is really all it would take for Linux to become my main OS, game compatibility. That would show MS! "

2. JoeyJoeJoe5500

JoeyJoeJoe5500 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB
    LOL, and to me, the change MS made to 8 is like them putting squared wheels on a car. Its a small change, but has a large negative effect. And YOU have to accept the fact that I freaking hate Windows 8, and alot of people will hate it. Like you said, change won't benefit everyone (yes its an unrealistic expectation I admit), and I do not get any benefit from it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  3. JoeyJoeJoe5500

JoeyJoeJoe5500 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB
    Misinterpretation.

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Frankly, I don't care that you hate Windows 8. That's your problem, not mine. I very much doubt 'a lot' of people waste the energy hating an OS. It works fine for me. Stable as a rock and fast. Granted, I'm not a big fan of the
    'Retro' interface. Start 8 takes care of that.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    By sticking with the same UI for every Windows release, MS is slowly reducing their own sales. If people can't tell a product is new, they're less likely to buy.

The "if it aint broke, don't fix it" idea that so many have... Imagine the cellphone market, automotive market or TV market if the same theory was applied.... We'd still be carrying around briefcases containing our cellphones....driving cars designed back in the 1800's and watching CRT TV's.

Because WindowsRT can't run x86 applications. By relying on WindowsRT for "all the touch screen stuff" they'd destroy the AIO market completely.... AIO's, which use touch screens, are x86....whereas WindowsRT is coded for ARM. Windows has supported touch screens for at least the last 15 years.....

What was wrong with the old design? It was 17 years old.....and people were tired of it. The average user didn't see any reason to "upgrade" unless they had to replace the entire computer because they couldn't see where any improvements had been made. It's a case of "If it looks old, and it feels old. It must be old".... The most common complaint I get from clients is that the Windows UI needs an overhaul because it's dull, boring and OLD....

6. JoeyJoeJoe5500

JoeyJoeJoe5500 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB
    Then thats fine.

7. JoeyJoeJoe5500

JoeyJoeJoe5500 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB
    I know what you saying, and you have a good point. I'm all for change, but here is the thing...how would MS completely revamp the GUI of Windows? I mean without making it all touch screen based? I'd love to see a new version of Windows that was radically different, as long as it was not touch screen focused. Touch screen seems to be the only was to make it "new and different".

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    It's not "touch screen based". lol

If it were touch screen based, it wouldn't work so well with a mouse and keyboard....nor would the desktop still exist. Windows8 was influenced by touch screen.... MS has had endless complaints about Windows not being touch screen friendly, even though support has been there since at least Windows98. MS took a shot at fixing complaints they've had for years....lack of proper touch screen support, a UI that desparately needed a redesign....and tried to add a fluid user experience across multiple platforms while they were at it.... Unfortunately, MS is destroying themselves in the mobile market again.... A LOT of WP7.5 devices aren't being upgraded to WP7.8....they've already announced "end of support" for WP8...which coincidentally is this summer.... Just give MS some time....they're working their way toward irrelevance at an increasing pace.... If they don't fix their mistakes, Linux and OSX will eventually be the only options for whatever is left of the desktop market.

9. JoeyJoeJoe5500

JoeyJoeJoe5500 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB
    Eh, thats true. Interesting.

10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    No Microsoft will still be in control of the dying desktop market (though they may still hold on to the lucrative laptop/ultrabook market) but they will completely miss out where the next big money is, and that is mobile/ultramobile.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    When the desktop market starts dying off.....MS will start to become irrelevant if they don't have a solid foot in the mobile/ultramobile market. With companies starting to sell mobile devices that work in multiple rolls....such as a dockable cellphone/tablet that doubles as a desktop computer and speakerphone....the mobile/ultramobile is already starting to encroach on the desktop market. It's just a matter of how fast companies pick up on these devices. I'd love to see these types of devices be mainstream in the next 3-5 years....though it's unlikely that they'll catch on that quickly.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Any chance of SP2 for Windows 7? LOL

EDIT:

Honestly, they could of just released some of the tweaks, and enhancements of W8 into SP2 for Windows 7. They could of also added in the new GUI (metro) AS AN OPTIONAL ADDITION!! And when its enabled you should be able to simply switch it on/off or uninstall it completely. That way W7 users get the benefit of enhanced multi threaded scheduling that W8 has and have the option if we choose to to have a vomit ridden GUI. With every new PC/Laptop sold, sell it as W8 and when they turn on the machine have the option pop up, "would you like to use the new GUI" Yes or No and have a video shown to new users of how easy it is to use. That way if people don't like something they can always change back.

Heck, I dread to say it, but they could actually charged for this SP2 for W7. Yea sure it would of pissed a lot of people off, but in the end it would be worth it if they didn't charge an arm and a leg for the "upgrade" edition. Its still being touted that they will be charging for Windows Blue as it is basically the first SP to W8. Microsoft seem to be taking the Apple approach, small iterations more often of the OS but charge small amounts for it.

13. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Which is why Microsoft is going all in on the mobile market with the new Windows.

Though I still believe they made a huge error with Windows RT. People picked it up expecting from the Windows brand to be able to use any x86 programs, instead they picked up a crippled OS. This lost a lot of market for Microsoft.

What they should have done was launch the Surface with Atom and have full (albiet slow) compatibility with all Windows programs. The sooner they drop Windows RT and offer refunds or upgrades to those that bought it, the better off they'll be.

What they need is:

Windows Phone
    Windows (Blue, 8, etc)
    Windows TV

The TV market is also going smart right now and still hasn't decided how to fully proceed. This is such a great opportunity for Microsoft to embed itself in Smart TV's and thus give more reason for devs to develop apps for Windows. It would also be great coup if it works seamlessly with a tablet/PC running Windows or a Phone running Windows. Make it easy to stream videos and push a mobile screen to the TV seamlessly and you will have cornered the market entirely.

Microsoft has enough cash on hand to absorb the costs of supplying TV manufacturers with Atom chips to run such a system for a generation, after which it will become a must for almost any TV sold, and thus cement themselves further in the house and give a major boost to their phone and tablet ventures.

I know that I would buy a Windows Phone in a heartbeat if it could seamlessly integrate with the major devices in my household (Tablets, PC's, TV screens, etc).

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    So, piss off people by continueing to use the same old, tired, outdated UI that people have been bitching about....and introduce a new UI, that self-proclaimed enthusiasts keep bitching about..... That way, they can piss off everyone with 1 Windows release....

You can't innovate, by holding onto the past.... The only way to innovate, is to start with fresh ideas, which is what Windows desparately needed. People on this forum bitch about the lack of innovation at Microsoft and when MS finally tries to be innovative again....people bitch and whine because MS actually tried to innovate instead of simply doing the exact same thing they've done for 17 years.....slap a new color scheme and name on the package with little if any noticeable change to the OS. Consumers are tired of paying for, what they perceive as being the exact same piece of software they already own. A new name and colorful box isn't going to keep selling copies on a 2/3-year release schedule if people can't tell that changes were actually made....

Microsoft has to offer a seamless experience....which means having similar UI's on everything running their OS. This is what people fail to understand. If "average Joe" sees the Windows branding on multiple devices, they expect a similar user experience on each device....not multiple, completely different experiences.

Of course WindowsRT was a mistake. Marketing screwed the pooch by not making it extremely clear that there would be no compatibility between Windows for desktop and WindowsRT.

I have a Windows Phone....and it's nothing to get excited about. The support for Windows Phone, even from MS, is pathetic at best. MS promised 1 major version upgrade for Windows Phone....and backed out of it. They promised that all WP7 devices would get WP7.8....yet most won't get it. They recently announced the end of support for WP8 as being this summer (not even a year after launch). MS is making all the wrong moves these days....

15. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    I love windows 8 pro it works good for both power user and experienced user but bad for average user.

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    all we are missing 16bit support on 64bit operation system.

even on 32bit operation system 16bit support isnt 100% anymore:(

17. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I hate Windows 8 with a passion and i work in a hardware store so i have to sell it as part of my job. I deal with the OS every day showing new users how to navigate through the UI. Most of them thank me and say they would have had no idea how to get around the OS without the tutorial.

Fact is, windows 8 is most definately NOT user friendly because nearly all of the controls 'cept the Live Tiles are HIDDEN. Hiding controls does NOT make this OS intuitive, it makes it a goddamn mystery for new adopters. And even for a seasoned windows user such as myself, all i see are unnecessary steps to get to where i want to be.

Having to hover a curser over a certain point on the screen just to get my options bar to come up is retarded. Using a laptop touch pad is very innacurate for this as well as you can often slip off the charms bar by accident before u reach the settings button and it goes off and u have to start all over again. It's clear microsoft don't give a sh*t about anyone who isn't using a Touchscreen. It would be easier have the charms bar permenantly up on the side as a button you can press... or here's an idea - have it along the bottom of the screen... :rolleyes:

What really winds me up is having to shoe away a smartphone OS which is IN THE WAY of my desktop OS. What's funny is that a lot of programs default to the desktop view anyway. I hope microsoft continue to lose a ton of money because of windows 8 and windows poo (blue).

There should be an option to permenantly remove Live Tile view or permenantly keep it. The switching between them is an unnecessary annoyance. Even apple (whom i loath) have the good sense to have 2 seperate operating systems because they realise they are 2 very different machines for different purposes. IOS for handhelds/touchscreens and OSX for laptops/ultrabooks/desktops.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Apple isn't promoting an OS. Apple is promoting hardware. Apple doesn't brand both of the OS's that run on all of their devices as "OSX". Microsoft is pushing "Windows" as their only operating system. For "Windows" to survive on multiple devices, without Microsoft having to launch a new OS, they have to share a common UI component.....and the desktop is not that component.

What's happening now is no different from when Windows95 came out. People have to learn something new....and the sames ones that pushed for innovation before, are now the ones who want to see innovation come to a crashing hault. Quite honestly, I've never seen so many people crowding around computer demo's as I've seen since Windows8 launched. Those people crowding around the displays, actually appear to be excited about the changes. The only people I see or hear such negative bull**** from, is those claiming to be "tech enthusiasts" and "IT Professionals".... The market is changing....either change with it, or get out of the way. Either way, stop bitching and whining like little children. MS has a choice, either innovate.....or fall into obscurity... They're trying to stay afloat and providing a unified user experience is the only way they're going to be able to transition from desktop to mobile.

Of course, it's obvious that so many people have no clue what they really want. In one thread they bash Microsoft for being scared to innovate....in another thread, they bash MS for attempting to innovate. The biggest hinderance to innovation....is customer outcry. The customer wants innovation, but pitches a fit if any attempts are made to innovate. Change for the sake of change is bad....but condemning change out of laziness is worse..... Innovation is how companies stay relevant...and at the pace things change, MS HAS to take every opportunity to be as innovative as possible....and that means FINALLY fixing what so many have been bitching about for years....and that's the stale, old, worn out UI that has plagued Windows for the last 17 years.

19. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Apple isn't after the OS (unlike Google which makes its money off search and user information) or the hardware, it's after the content delivery system; iPhone/iPad and iOS are just a means to deliver the App Store. That's where the real money lies for Apple, a system where they sell movies, apps and music to end users while locking them into their ecosystem.

Amazon is trying to do the same thing now with the Kindle, but they are facing the classic problem of second to market.

20. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    My 2 cents, once you have Windows 8 set up to your liking, it's quite fast and enjoyable. It's just getting to that point (at least if you haven't used it before) that's annoying.