Early Batches of Radeon RX 480 4GB cards actually do have 8GB memory

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 4, 2016.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Do they include a coupon code for a new motherboard as well? :p

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Maybe he is tired of forums where you see people, who used to be decent, on mindless rampage.
    I am yet to see damage which I would confirm as being caused by GPU. Yet people repeat same nonsensical thing around.

There are not that many people who claimed MB damage in 1st place. Because there are not that many people with already defective MB who kept it in closet.

But if some respectable site made joke about GTX 1070 burning system memory, you would see all those dead memory turned into trinkets suddenly reverting its status. And being burned by GTX 1070.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Same with the GTX 970 people are still hammering upon.."Oh it has 3,5 GB VRam". Nope it has 4GB with 500MB just working slower.

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    I'm going to say this once and only once.

If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.

This is a warning for EVERYONE. Let's get back on topic.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Honestly I feel they should have just done a 8GB only reference card like the 6950 was and let the AIB partners make 4GB custom cards. It's great for people that buy the 4GB card IF they can unlock the "free" VRAM with a BIOS flash, but I wonder it having the buffer cut in half artificially could cause any performance issues?

6. moeppel

moeppel Member Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Well, AMD cards tend to be flashable in one way or the other in about every release cycle so that's nothing particularly surprising.

Though I think that last generation they at least opted for laser cutting stuff off, so that won't happen.

At the end of the day, while it's something like 'free $50', it doesn't make the reference any more appealing of a card to me.

AIBs are where it's at.

Of course I hope that everyone who has picked up a 4 GB card has won their silicon lottery ;)

The true value, perhaps, is the meme-value:

Nvidia: 3.5/4
    AMD: 8/4

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    This is the kind of news that usually happens in the beginning of a product line. Honest to God I can't understand why ANYONE would complain about something like this (if it is actually happening). The companies involved know the costs better than any forum-theoriser, so what's the issue exactly.

And yes, this is different from cutting out parts of the memory controller of the GPU.

8. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  9. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    mhh back in the days i only had 3dfx and nvidia but those things are awesome tbh... because back then even manufacturers were of the opinion "oh we can do it like this, no one will find out to do that anyway" :nerd:

10. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280
    I simply cannot understand how anyone could compare this to intentionally OC the card to get a better result in review.

If i understand correctly, the BIOS is for reviewers to test the card as it is sold at retail store, 4GB of soft locked RAM with 8GM of physical RAM. That is the opposite of what MSI and ASUS were doing. They are intentionally gimping the hardware to match what is actually sold and use in the retail market.

We don't know why and how much of the variant is on the retail. All we know is the first batch contain these variants and consider yourself lucky if you could unlock it to 8GB.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016

11. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I used to enjoy threads like these. Lately this place has become toxic.

12. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Too bad I'm waiting for 490x or Ti for the next gpu but that is a sweet deal! AMD lottery is pretty cool for budget buyers.