Early Access getting out of control - needs to be stopped

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Phreakuency, Feb 18, 2014.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Take BF series (by that i mean 3/4) and Titanfall for example:
    Those 3 games only offer a short few days or what have you for a quick playthrough before launch. Now most people would assume that the sole purpose of this is to test net code, server-load and iron out any bugs before launch, right? What if i told its more of a marketing tool more than a live software test, that its used as a way to build hype just before launch day by giving you a small taste of whats on offer. Then comes along launch day, weeks months perhaps an entire year go by and yet the game the game is still a buggy mess, that will probably not be fixed before the next sequal.

Now i know you havent mentioned Origin/BF or Titanfall, but it seems unfair to single out Valve and not have a go at anyone else. Going by the majority of threads i've read about the condition of BF4 and the fact that its suffering the exact same issues as BF3, same goes for Ghosts, which are so called AAA (whatever the fek that means) who have ridiculous amounts of cash backing them yet year after year people play the beta, see it has issues, convinces themselves that it'll be fix come release day, then are somehow taken by surprise that BF/COD are a broken mess for the next few months as if its something new. Gamers are just as predictable as they games they continue to support.

The difference with the early access games on steam is that if you dont buy it right off the bat and just look at reviews/previews from other gamers who have bought E/A, you can see what you dont like as progress is made, you can see what the current issues are and what direction the game is taking.

Its the perfect development process and the most honest us gamers have ever seen.

2. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    I hate early access these days....getting too much, trend towards it, dont like it!

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Early access is fine. I love Assetto Corsa, War for the overlord, Grim Dawn and others I really accessed. Do your research and buy into the games you trust.

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    i like the idea of early access (exept for f2p games thats crazy! ), wish more developers would do it.
    its much better then pre-ordering the game and finding bugs which could have been resolved in a earlier stage.
    I havent bought a single one though

5. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    JetStream 980Ti
    A lot of these game's can't get publishes to fund them because they are not the next COD or big known franchise.

Early access gives these Dev's the chance to make something different which imo is great.

Of course there is a lot of **** out there but there's a lot of **** that gets released for full price at release so I don't see much a difference.

Buy the stuff that you want to support dodge the other tripe.

6. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1070 SuperJetstream
    I like early access for a few reasons, it allows games that would never get given a chance by a publisher these days as none of them seem to want to take a risk. The other is for those nostalgia games, like wasteland 2 or might & magic legacy etc, where they'd just turn it into yet another generic fps/tps with a hint of what it used to be(like syndicate).

That being said, it is being abused & valve really should tighten up what is early access and what isn't.

7. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Poor analogy. Chocolate and cigarettes are a finished and complete product of which the consumer has rights if the quality is found to be an issue.

8. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 4GB GDDR5
    I think wyndrusher said it best. It is a noble idea to begin with but it is now being abused or ruined by mis-management. Which then brings the original point of the op that the platform provider (valve and kickstarter) to come in and endure the quality of the projects or provide a mean for supporters or investor to pursue those bad apple.

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Just like a few have wrote, don´t buy them!!!

As for destroying the industry, don´t worry about, the industry has been destroyed a long time ago...

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I agree with this.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    So which games in particular do you guys seem to have issues with?

12. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    The only game I got on early access is Assetto Corsa and I can say it is more polished than a lot of retail ones, but may be that's not the case with others.

13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Can't really blame the gaming industry for having sheep as customers, who continue too pay you money hand over fist, regardless of what **** you are selling.

I wish i had a business that had customers like this. :)

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Haha .. true. Why not make some crap on Unity and get it greenlit on steam and android? :p Lots of marks.

15. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    Total biscuit made a decent awereness for gamers teaching them not to dive in hype on early access.

My personal opinion is similar: they get money early, then they can drag the improvements for months or not release them at all.

16. Leviathan-

Leviathan- Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780GTX SC ACX
    +1 on this.

17. ryoohki360

ryoohki360 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte/GTX660TI/2GIG
    I know there's a lot of them right now on the store, but imho, i've bought DayZ and it's sure way funnier and more stable right now than BF4, a 'COMPLETE' product. My 24.99$ is well played as a i have more than 100hours put trought this game already.

It's just like kickstarter projects..

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I still fail to see what the issue is here. OP, please enlighten us as in what early access games upset you?

19. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Its the glut not being able to log into steam w/o seing a billion early access games that have nothing to do with your likes or dislikes.

And the rather iffy quality and etc behind them.

i think tags are supposed to be the cure for this, a simple filter system would have been even better say filter early access etc.

and while i think on it i think things will sort out given time some devs will prove themselves and earn a following others will fail sometimes horribly.

there may even be a few future valves or EAs in these early access days.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I don't really open steam that often. I look through steam every now and then, to see if there's any deals (usually not). I check steam at major sale times (xmas, easter etc). Other than that, I use it to pre order my most wanted games.

Early access games are labeled as early access, they have their own category on steam. really don't understand the issue here.