Each Xbox console sold, is sold at loss

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 7, 2021.

1. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    They need some big exclusives. Their biggest failing last generation was continuing to rely on Gears, Halo, and Forza. Most people burned out on those IPs by the end of the 360 Era. They had nothing new last round.

For the last few years, they've been buying studios, but there's no big new exclusives. Worse for them, if they just take the multi-platform games and don't let them come to PS5, they just look like assholes.

I guess if you're not already invested in the PC or PlayStation, jumping in on Xbox with GamePass makes sense, but that seems like an odd business strategy.

BlindBison likes this.
  2. vazup

vazup Master Guru

GPU:
    r9 280X
    They do make exclusives "Microsoft" exclusives. I dont see why they would bring them to Playstation if they keep their exclusives to themselves. Microsoft doesnt really care if you get the game on xbox or pc as long as it stays on Microsoft ecosystem.

3. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    They're free to do it (hell, I don't care so long as they come to PC), but public reception of it wouldn't be good if they changed previously multiplat games over to Xbox only I expect.

They may not care though as you say so eh. Personally I'm not a fan of exclusive games (even PC exclusives) when done for the reason of trying to get you to buy a specific console. For anyone like myself it just means we won't buy the game at all since it's not worth picking up an entire console for one or two games (this is why I'm very happy Sony's brought some titles to PC). They'll lose sales on people like me and they'll gain hardware sales on the people they can push over the edge to buy the console for said games. They probably still make more money off the exclusives, but it sorta sucks for the end user seems to me.

For example, I wanted to play Bloodborne, but I'm not gonna buy a Playstation and the online sub fee (in my view, the online component is pretty important for the Souls games) just for that and maybe two other games I care about. I even would say I got burned on the Switch since Metroid Prime 4 never materialized, many of the ports had serious input lag issues (Doom 2016/Alien Isolation, etc), and they also implemented paid online BS at some point (argh) like every other console now.

4. balthier

balthier Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 RTX

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  6. balthier

balthier Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 RTX
    BlindBison likes this.
  7. Wault

Wault Member

GPU:
    Vega64 LC 1722-1125
    I don't know in other countries, but in France, to sell at loss is illegal with some exceptions provided by the law.
    https://droit-finances.commentcamarche.com/faq/24092-vente-a-perte-definition

They can however sell at loss during the seasoning sales (I hope I used the good wording ; I meant "soldes" in France).
    This is strictly regulated, and for example, Steam (and others) can't use the word "soldes" outside the scheduled dates by the law.

So this news puzzle me. Is it only in some part of the world that they sell at loss ?

BlindBison likes this.
  8. vazup

vazup Master Guru

GPU:
    r9 280X
    Wault likes this.
  9. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    As @BlindBison said, the issue is if they "take away" PlayStation players access to previously multi-platform games. Specifically, I'm thinking about Bethesda games. If they block Starfield or TES6 from PS5, that's going to come across as "anti-consumer" in the minds of many gamers. We saw exactly this backlash with Rise of the Tomb Raider when they bought Xbox exclusivity for a year because the original Tomb Raider came to both platforms at launch.

And I wouldn't call their PC ports "Microsoft" exclusives when they're selling them on Steam. That change happened a while back where they were previously trying to force people into buying Windows Store versions of games. Once news leaked that no one was buying those games, it was only a few months later that they brought their games to Steam.

Even then, selling PC versions of games doesn't do anything for the Xbox hardware business.

10. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Dont worry they will you milk you when you will buy the games.. Unless it would be able to run Windows or Linux, you get good HW, which you cant really use. BTW drug dealers will often also give first few doses for free, to make you addict..