EA tests self-learning AI agents in Battlefield 1

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    airbud7 and KissSh0t like this.
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Next step they will teach them how to go to work and earn money. And then Micro transaction the HELL out of them.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    HitokiriX, HandR, Silva and 1 other person like this.
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So EA is making bots now to farm their own lootbox games and sell what they get for additional $? :D

airbud7, schmidtbag and Silva like this.
  4. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    They had bots in Battlefield 2. Now they need AI to do the same thing ?

airbud7, Silva, lucidus and 1 other person like this.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Kinda like dungeon keeper then. Pay more to make 'em go faster :p

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.
  6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I wonder if they are using this to train a "tactically" smart AI to implement into a future Battlefield game, as you say, previous games did have bots, but they were kind of stupid...

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Bots will always see-saw between dumbass and cheater. It's always a new gimmick to sell with them.

Silva likes this.
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    This is an interesting project, but a bit hypocritical and wasteful:
    * One of the reasons EA does MTs is because, according to them, making games is too expensive. And yet here they are, spending all this time and money constructing an AI that learns how to play a game. How exactly is them doing this ever going to yield a profit?
    * "Back in my day", games came with bots you could play against, and for the most part were pretty skilled. Whether you were playing a FPS or an RTS, a lot of them could form strategies and understand the game mode. This was back when crappy 32-bit single-core CPUs were still popular. So, it really doesn't make sense to me why EA is doing this. This method is expensive and inefficient in comparison.

lucidus likes this.
  9. entr0cks

entr0cks Member Guru

GPU:
    GV-N660OC-2GD
    Some issues from past experiences (ways bots were designed), that seemed to be also in the video of this early thing, that it's not really visual based, but they're given location based information - target through objects, or more often through pass-through objects, like bushes - aren't optically fooled.
    Still, definitely a fun system to design and play around with.

10. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    It feels like no one is playing the game so they want Bots to fill the gaps? That's how it seems to me.

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I imagined a potential method would be to deploy them with new guns/gear/camos only found in loot boxes and let them play on public servers...and win. Making people want to open loot boxes to get that stuff?

Texter likes this.
  12. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    So they learn by watching real human players? Then I expect the AI to run around in circles banging into things, never spot or shoot at enemy, never drop ammo or health, and then complain on reddit that the enemy are overpowered until DICE nerf things for them.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's consequence from them being controlled by one AI here. Secondly, you very well approximate position of other players based on sound they make. AI does it better.
    Sound in CS 1.6 was more than enough for you to shoot people accurately through walls. (If you knew which can be shot through.)

14. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I think having Bots in a multiplayer game allows for cheaters to create aimbots and other cheats because they are already included in the game if bots are built into that said game. That's how cheaters used to make cheats years ago. Not sure if that's still the case now but highly likely.

Imagine if you could use this AI, hard to detect because it's based off of human behavior.

15. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Hopefully this will ultimately lead to smarter AI bots in single player games. I'm currently playing Vermintide 2, and the bots are not very intuitive; they are helpful, but not intuitive.

16. Mysteryboi

Mysteryboi Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TITAN SC
    Your all missing the actual point they want to make these bots so they can mimic real players that way when there games are dead because everyone is boycotting EA they will deploy the bots with real names and hope people can't tell the difference / prove there bots not real players

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not mind bots in Vermintide 2. They are more helpful than many players on higher difficulties, Especially because their skill is compensated with higher health.

What I Do not like is that there is no sneaking as enemies will notice you no matter direction they are looking or how slow, crouched you move.

18. pederlk

pederlk Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    Hmm Skynet :)

19. Jonathanese

Jonathanese Guest

GPU:
    STRIX 1070 1200/9200
    Am I the only one who finds this pretty cool?

Ok yes. They had programmers who had to meticulously program each and every strategy by hand using a fixed-function AI model that was neither adaptable nor creative. Bots have always been cake to learn, and the only way they make them bettor or worse is simply adjusting response time and artificially nerfing accuracy.

Evolving neural networks is a very expensive process, yes. Actually running a neural network is at worst as hard as traditional fixed-function AI, but more often much faster.

This would mean EA would evolve the AI on their servers, and then would release an evolved neural network in a small, fast "cooked" package. This "cooked" version would be what would run on the client with significant ease.

So we are talking about smarter, more creative AI with less of a performance impact and less man-hours of AI programming to ultimately achieve.

Oh, and let's not forget that the vector/tensor/neuron mathematics is exactly what GPUs are built for, so we'd be able to see more GPU-powered AI as well.

So like, this sounds pretty good. We wouldn't have to have AIs that are stupid but can only beat you via over-the-table knowledge and program-level cheating. Bots that feel real.

We should hold a large Turing test and see if humans can tell who are bots and who are players after a system becomes more evolved.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    No, I also think it's cool. It's just super hypocritical of EA.

That's not true at all. I'm sure that applies in some cases, but I've played games that offered custom maps and had very intelligent AI. They could adapt to different game modes and objectives, too.
    Regardless, BF1 doesn't have that many maps, and most of them aren't difficult to navigate. A fixed-function AI would not be difficult to make.
    That's besides the point - it's the initial investment that matters most, and this particular investment just doesn't make sense.
    Keep in mind, EA's primary demographic is people who lack enough skill that they're willing to pay to be better. I'm pretty sure a dynamic AI is a bit overkill.
    For the record - I totally agree that a smarter and more creative AI is awesome, but again, you have to consider who is working on this.
    GPUs are struggling enough with 4K as-is. Though tensors don't really have much to do graphics, it's still going to add load the VRAM and PCIe bus.
    Now, if you had a dedicated server that ran GPU-operated bots, that's something I'd totally be cool with. But the thing is, when I'm playing against bots, it's because I can't or don't want to play against other people online (whether that be a lack of connection or nobody to play against). That means I'm going to want to run this locally. If I want multiple bots, that could really slow the game down.
    Meanwhile, you can run dozens upon dozens of "traditional" bots in FPSs with minimal load on the CPU.
    That sounds like a pretty cool idea.

For the record, I'm not trying to attack your points, but you have to keep in mind that creating good bots has been accomplished several times. But in the past decade, developers have got lazy, because good AI is difficult to make. It's much faster and easier to not even try, and just make the game online multiplayer.