EA starts with beta test of game streaming service Project Atlas

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Just think, while your streaming a game they can interrupt that streaming with a few unskippable advertisements. Lol

Order_66, schmidtbag and Neo Cyrus like this.
  3. dbogss

dbogss Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix-RTX-2080
    First they failed with the live services for BF5 and Anthem and now another thing for us to try??? .... money grabbing company ; fix your games EA !!! Bring back the old good NFS and C&C.:mad:

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    At first you'll be able to use their service normally with a subscription...

Phase 1

1 month after release when the reviews are done they'll break the service down into pieces:

1 - The subscription for "access" that does nothing.

2 - You'll need to grind advertisements to get "A Feeling of Pride & Accomplishment Tokens" to unlock things one by one, such as being able to load a game. It will take 3 years of uninterrupted advertisements to get enough AFoPaAT to unlock the ability to see anything at all aside from advertisements. You can't use or interact with anything at that point though, those are separate purchases, you can only look. Or you can just pay $10 per basic function on a monthly basis, and you have to get them all at the same time for realistic functionality. It won't be a straight payment though, you have to buy "EA Scholar and Gentleman Crystals", so they can make sure they manipulate things further. $10 worth of those Crystals can be used for the purchase. You can not buy $10 worth of EA Crystals, or any multiple that would break even with the amount of functions you need to buy. There will always be left over Crystals.

Also they store your credit card information, even if you don't allow it, in a plain text file on a server with no security.

3 - A higher tier "EA Scholar" subscription to be able to stream at higher res than 800x450. It allows up to 720p 20 fps with 200 ping in a best case scenario. Input lag not included. You still need to pay for part 2.

4 - A highest tier "EA Scholar and Gentleman" subscription that still requires part 2. It allows streaming at "4K" (720p stretched) "60 fps", which never goes above 25 fps, at 150 ping, average input lag is 116 ms. But you can't just buy it. No, their highest tier will require buying passes for their monthly events, every month, for $20 of EA Crystals. With the pass you can grind monotonous, mind-numbing, "missions", to collect "Legendary EA Scholar and Gentleman Crystals". 100 of those can then be used to purchase the highest tier subscription. 1 of them requires 22 hours of nonstop play so it's not actually possible to acquire the pass that way. Even if it took less time, to make it technically possible, there's always 1 "mission" designed to be technically impossible to prevent you from reaching 100. The Legendary Crystals expire at the end of each event so you can't save them up to eventually buy a pass.

So then you must then buy "Special Event Bundles" in order to get meager amounts of Legendary Crystals at insane prices because the bundles include "Gentleman Portals" (loot boxes which provide the vast majority of the Legendary Crystals you're trying to get) and "Legendary Items" such as a single red dot that can be used to aim in games (games, ability to access games, or ability to load red dot not included). Buying 100 Legendary Crystals costs about $150 on average, but depending on your luck with the Gentleman Portals, it can cost up to $420.

5 - If you actually bought the "EA Scholar and Gentleman" subscription, you'll be given the option to buy a "Supreme EA Scholar and Gentleman Crown" for only a measly $50 more worth of EA Crystals. You can equip it (ability to equip not included) to enable its special loading screen border there to remind you how dumb you are for buying it. At least you'll have something to look at during the 12-15 minute load times if you somehow got access to games, or loading. The service will bug out constantly and unequip the crown though and sometimes it just randomly doesn't work.

There's more to this phase but it's too tiring to explain it all.

Phase 2

4 months after release they'll retroactively change all subscriptions to only function on "EA Gamer Phones", and not let you cancel anything you're paying for and continue charging your credit card because "you agreed to the ToS". The phones are $1500 to match iPhones, have built in spyware worse than China's wet dreams, install apps automatically at EA's whims, and have unskippable ads on every page. EA Gamer Phones self destruct worse than a Galaxy Note 7 every 6 months so you'll have to buy 2 per year. The only language option on the EA Gamer Phone is Newspeak.

Do you not have phones? Are you not entertained by phones?

You'll have to pay another additional subscription fee to re-enable using the service on anything but their EA Gamer Phones. It's presented as monthly options but they're all tied to 3, 5, 7, 10, and 25 year contracts.

I'm skipping the rest of phase 2 so I can finish this before I fall asleep.

Phase 3

8 months after release they'll further increase the prices of everything, remember, you can't cancel that 25 year contract, you should have read it... BUT! They'll give you the option of making the price hike portion of the payments "free" by signing up for their "Scholar and Gentleman Health and Activity Home System" for "developing a sense of healthy living and accomplishment". The hardware is a $2000 upfront payment or totally "free" if you sign up for a 10 year contract at $69.42 per week.

TL;DR is that you'll be installing spy cameras for EA all over your house, and spyware infested "health" software on your computer so they can gain access to anything they haven't yet. It changes your language setting to Newspeak. Don't forget the "health anklet" (location monitor) you'll have to wear. It's not removable. Ever.

... too many phases... maybe I'll finish explaining one day. But critical points are the phases when they:

1 - Manage to impose a social credit system like China has. One of the first things people will get punished for is not using Newspeak, aside from the more obvious stuff such as ever saying anything negative about EA or the credit system. Smile as you tell the camera the credit system is amazing and a benefit to all of mankind.

2 - Gain legal access to everything you have or are entitled to ever get. Everything.

3 - Acquire legal ownership of you. Yes you are now literally a slave. You will have monitoring chips implanted into your hearts at this phase, yes it allows EA to decide when you die. EA will use the data to breed more efficient slaves who can survive on less nutritious gruel than what they're serving to start, with lower and lower IQs and more subservient behavior to stop any potential mass rebellion, can't have all their current slaves die at once. Enjoy your trip to an actual mine.

And @XP-200 ...... I don't know how to tell you this brother, but the unskippable advertisements never stop until you reach the mine because "They're not advertisements. They're an integral part of the user experience which provide a sense of comfort and connection to the world".

But don't worry, at the mine there will be large screens everywhere playing sayings of EA CEOs which you will now call "Big Brothers" so you'll have something to watch until you go blind from malnutrition and stress. What they do with you from there is too dark to get into.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If anyone actually read through that absolutely retarded lunacy, stop and realize that a LOT of those insane things listed have not only been done but are still going on right now. Need I say more?

This is probably filled with more typos and general mistakes than I'll ever be willing to edit.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019

5. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    If the market accepts this the way they accepted DLC and Season Passes, we'll be stuck with it. We all know the dangers here and what it potentially means for the ecosystem. The only question is, how many players want to trade the convenience and cost savings streaming can potentially provide for the performance issues and additional control it puts in the hands of the Publishers?

I'd like to think the market for steaming is small given these issues - at least in the M rated game space that most of us play in. I acknowledge the casual game market is a different animal.

Time will tell.

6. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    We all can be upset about EA and other big companies, but it hardly changes anything. Especially EA is regularly voted as one of the worst companies on this planet and yet they are still very much profitable, because the game they produce aren't really that bad and they own a lot of great IPs, it's just the additional crap that no one wants, like DLCs, gambling and microtransactions. The problem is that big developers and publishers are publicly traded, so every time they need to make a decision between their customers and investors, they are always going to choose investors and put in further monetization.

Although I personally do not care about the service, I understand the appeal for some people. However, I sincerely doubt that this will ever eliminate traditional games sales, as long as they provide enough income with minimal investment. Especially if every big company is going to introduce one subscription service for their games. Just look at e.g. netflix, now that there are other services that also require their separate subscription they all aren't as profitable, because no one is going to pay 4 services just to watch all the shows they want. They'll rather stream it for free from third party sites or download it in a certain bay.

7. spine

spine Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp CE + EK WB
    Or, just like, don't sign up for it?

And you missed the hook where EA games are only available via the service. But they don't have any killer IP anymore to exploit since they've burned everything they had to the ground already.

I guess there's the Madden games though, for people who I've honestly never met. Ever. Must be a USA thing...

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Frankly, of every stupid thing EA has ever done, this is the least stupid of them all. Hear me out:
    Lately, all EA seems to care about is releasing multiplayer games and new iterations of the same few series, while basically discarding their old stuff. They're not going to stop doing this any time soon. So, why not make the most of it? Pay for a monthly fee for a streaming service, where you're not paying huge chunks of cash for new releases of games. The games are set up on a system that should be stable, and when they get phased out, you just move onto the next release without much thought.
    If you're invested in EA's games, I think this is a more convenient and economical choice for players.

XP-200 likes this.
  9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well they won't get me, i am too smart.( then looks at his EA acces sub on the XBX that he never uses). :oops: lol

Neo Cyrus likes this.
  10. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    [​IMG]

11. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Well, they will fail. There is no proper infrastructure for this yet, and will not be in 5 to 10 years.
    I mean guys, gaming? Streamed VOD can fail anytime and from 4k switch to 360p and they thing gaming will do fine...

Order_66 likes this.
  12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I mean in certain markets it does do fine. I've had access to the Nvidia game streaming service for years now on my Shield - I use it occasionally and it works flawlessly. They don't have to roll it across the world to offer it as a service. In the US, states like NJ where some people have access to gigabit fiber for $100 a month it might be successful especially if there is minimal work to get it on that kind of platform.

13. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Yea, maybe 5% population(internet) have speeds or possibility like US big city, but majority, even with fiber, has still less than 50-100Mbps connections.
    In Ireland best what man can have is I think 300Mbps. I mean real 300Mbps, there are offers 1Gbps but -"up to". Poland, where I came from, on the other hand, is more developed in this regard but still, prices are high so again, majority will not be able to use it. And there is always 24 or 12Months contracts involved, with lack of competition, so basically there is no motivation to search another provider, as, In my case, it will be using same fiber, but quality of service probably (and I mean for real) will suffer, will be no better than previous provider, so no point.

14. MADEVIL

MADEVIL Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080Ti
    I get to test out this silly service and I let you know when the loot boxes pop up to interrupt game play. I did get to beta test out the Google streaming and it did work well but I'm not a fan of the whole streaming thing yet.

15. Sweeeper

Sweeeper Guest

GPU:
    32 gb
    Linus have tryed this over lan and it still crap.
    Nobody gonna get this up and running any time soon.

16. msm903

msm903 Guest

GPU:
    16 GB
    I do hope someone gets this streaming thing right. Have lost all incentive to keep wasting money of dedicated hard ware, and have lost all incentive of playing online games on PCs with the variety of cheating software out there. I am thinking Streaming games as a service would be one way to reduce some of these attempts in multiplayer games. Not a big fan of EA but I do hope someone figures it out.

17. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Not until we have some sort of Quantum Leap in Internet Tech will this ever be viable.

Onlive failed and others too, one reason WAS that people wanted physical copies of games they owned and not just rent them.

If i really like a game then i want to own it forever but having to pay a subscription to play your games could work i suppose but liking it is another thing altogether.

18. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE

1. Physical copies of games is an incredibly small percentage of PC game sales.
    2. People still pay a monthly subscription to play WoW which your only getting that 1 game.

I don't think subscriptions necessarily a bad thing but they need to implement it well.

19. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Streaming service for gaming? Maybe at some point but in the future , especially with the connection speeds we have at my country they are an option only for the future. Now a subscription service from ea??? Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha....good one ! I do not like surprise mechanics on any service or game HARD PASS !
    Btw i love what gog does !

20. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    When i say a "Physical Copy" i just mean an .iso not an actual boxed version.

Maybe it's just me since i have a 2tb HDD that is for mainly game .isos.

I have 80/20 internet with upto 9mb/s d/l so i could just keep downloading games when i need them like i do for steam and all the other game launchers but i have a huge game collection and like to keep a drive just for a lot of them.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019